Potential replacements

Status
Not open for further replies.
highland fox said:
Stopped your trips to Kenilworth Road have you now they are in 'freefall' ?:icon_wink
Last time I was at Luton Gary Parker scored for us...

Brauny Blue said:
MK how about donating your virtual cash to CL to help the cause?
He'd just spunk it on a no hoper, then give him away to a rival BB. No deal....:icon_wink

Having written that we need to win 8/9 of our remaining games has brought home the seriously scary nature of our situation...that is nearly 50% of our remaining games...I hadn't thought of it in that way until now.

I don't think that is possible:eek: :frown:

Out of interest, what the fook is virtual cash? And why have I got 500 pieces of virtual cash.

SilverFox said:
Out of interest, what the fook is virtual cash? And why have I got 500 pieces of virtual cash.

You earn it by flogging your arse,hence MK has a wealth of it...

highland fox said:
You earn it by flogging your arse,hence MK has a wealth of it...
:icon_lol:

It's won by skill and good judgement SF. That's why HF will always be an also ran...

:frown: This is a depressing thread. The suggestions so far to replace CL (who is still our manager) include:

Bruce Rioch - not keen; why so long out of football?

Phil Thompson - ugh! Can't stand him.

George Graham - no chance; he's still waiting for a call from Madrid or Manchester or Barcelona or Brazil or...

Tony Adams - hmmm, not keen.

Roy Evans - hmmm, not keen.

Nigel Clough - could be worth a go, but why hasn't he moved out of non-league yet?

Steve Walsh - legendary player, NOT a manager.

Matt Elliot - maybe in a few years but not yet.

Steve Claridge - no, no... but might be fun for a few weeks though!

Gerry Taggart - maybe one day, but I can't see him as a manager somehow.

Tony Cottee - no, bless him.

Gary Mills - not exactly impressed at a lower level.

Gary McAlister - nice bloke, but actually quite a poor managerial record.

Dave Penney - what I know about him I like, but it's not much.

Martin O'Neill - in another lifetime maybe...

Kevin Keegan - yeah, he'd jump at the chance, eh?!

Phil Parkinson - ditto Penney

Mike Newell - probably the most qualified suggestion, with City connections too, but would he take a step down in league position?

Dave Bassett - do me a favour!

Go back 18 months, and add the name Craig Levein. Realistically there would still only be two or three candidates, and I reckon most of us would have plumped for Levein on his prior record. Shows what a difficult job the board has. In some ways, sticking by CL looks like an attractive option.

It's interesting to see that many posters are suggesting an older, more experienced manager. The last one of those we had was Pleat :icon_conf and since then we've had the up-and-coming Little, McGhee, O'Neill, Taylor, Adams and Levein. Let's be honest - we're in the shite now, but trying young managers with excellent recent track records, as each of these did when they were appointed, has worked pretty well for us.

I personally like to have a bit of hope, a dream of someone coming in and "doing an O'Neill", rather than a steady pair of hands, a safe bet, someone who we know will probably be OK at worst, or best. But maybe it's time for that, as we really do seem to be in the shite.

Like I said, tough call for the board.... :102:

DesertFox said:
:frown: This is a depressing thread. The suggestions so far to replace CL (who is still our manager) include:

Bruce Rioch - not keen; why so long out of football?

Phil Thompson - ugh! Can't stand him.

George Graham - no chance; he's still waiting for a call from Madrid or Manchester or Barcelona or Brazil or...

Tony Adams - hmmm, not keen.

Roy Evans - hmmm, not keen.

Nigel Clough - could be worth a go, but why hasn't he moved out of non-league yet?

Steve Walsh - legendary player, NOT a manager.

Matt Elliot - maybe in a few years but not yet.

Steve Claridge - no, no... but might be fun for a few weeks though!

Gerry Taggart - maybe one day, but I can't see him as a manager somehow.

Tony Cottee - no, bless him.

Gary Mills - not exactly impressed at a lower level.

Gary McAlister - nice bloke, but actually quite a poor managerial record.

Dave Penney - what I know about him I like, but it's not much.

Martin O'Neill - in another lifetime maybe...

Kevin Keegan - yeah, he'd jump at the chance, eh?!

Phil Parkinson - ditto Penney

Mike Newell - probably the most qualified suggestion, with City connections too, but would he take a step down in league position?

Dave Bassett - do me a favour!

Go back 18 months, and add the name Craig Levein. Realistically there would still only be two or three candidates, and I reckon most of us would have plumped for Levein on his prior record. Shows what a difficult job the board has. In some ways, sticking by CL looks like an attractive option.

It's interesting to see that many posters are suggesting an older, more experienced manager. The last one of those we had was Pleat :icon_conf and since then we've had the up-and-coming Little, McGhee, O'Neill, Taylor, Adams and Levein. Let's be honest - we're in the shite now, but trying young managers with excellent recent track records, as each of these did when they were appointed, has worked pretty well for us.

I personally like to have a bit of hope, a dream of someone coming in and "doing an O'Neill", rather than a steady pair of hands, a safe bet, someone who we know will probably be OK at worst, or best. But maybe it's time for that, as we really do seem to be in the shite.

Like I said, tough call for the board.... :102:

Good Post Desert, but surely Levein has proved he is out of his depth in England, another Scottish manager who did ok with a side outside the old firm, comes to England thinking it will be a cake walk and end up making a complete and utter pigs ear. Just like Jim Jefferies and Bobby Williamson before him, look at Jefferies now, back up in Scotland doing a decent job with Killie, and I have no doubt if Levein went back North of the border he would no doubt do an excellent job.

But the cold hard facts are that in 27 league games we have mustered 5 victories and as Silver states we may need to win 8 or 9 of our last 19 and based on the last 14 months I am convinced that with Levein at the helm we will not achieve what is required. It was a bold and exciting move by the board appointing CL, but it has not worked and he is clearly not suited to English football, so we have to cut our losses and try to salvage our sorry season.

Last edited:
DesertFox said:
It's interesting to see that many posters are suggesting an older, more experienced manager. The last one of those we had was Pleat :icon_conf and since then we've had the up-and-coming Little, McGhee, O'Neill, Taylor, Adams and Levein.

Apart from Dave Bassett, but yes, it would go against the recent trend to make a 'long term' appointment who was not a young up-and-comer.

SamJ

Here again is a link so you can see all the managers currently looking for work:

http://www.leaguemanagers.com

Go to the bottom of the screen and click on the "available managers" drop down menu, surprise surprise.

I see Ernie Tippett is still available Highland.

The word from Liverpool was that Thompson did well short term but caused to much aggravation among the players to be considered long term, hence that is why he's been out of job in football since then. Listening to Dublin's yesteday on the radio I get the impression not all the players are together or was it just Dublin laying his cards down again. Thompson would only aggravate the matter.

i like bobby robson but we need someone with fire in their belly and who is willing to kick them up the arse robson seems too nice to do that

Yorkshire Vixen said:
i like bobby robson but we need someone with fire in their belly and who is willing to kick them up the arse robson seems too nice to do that

Players who have played under Bobby Robson always talk about his infectious enthusiasm for the game. This is his form of motivation which seems to have worked in the past. Wouldn't come here anyway.

DurhamFox said:
Penney with a widely 'Leicester connected' backroom team could be just the job actually.

are we not forgetting the best thing about Dave Penney?

his brilliant surname

:)

regards

oliver penney

youre right he wouldnt come here the poor old bloke would have a heart attack

I can see the headlines now,'lcfc kills Bobby Robson.'

Well as they say all publicity is good publicity or something like that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670
8Middlesbro4669