Prediction League - new rules and format

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blue Maniac

Alzheimers sufferer
As I've mentioned, the new Prediction League will follow a new format for the 2013-14 season. I've shown an early version of this to a couple of people, and the response has been positive. At least, that's how I'm taking it. I hope you all feel the same way. Any questions or feedback welcome, just PM me.

Predictions
- Exact scores will not be required in the new Prediction League. Instead, players will pick ten clubs per round (I have a calendar very carefully worked out; rounds will last anything between two and six days, but as it stands will normally be four). Clubs can be picked from, within reason, any league* (though I expect most will pick English teams, this allows for, say, Blaarev to predict Norwegian games if he so chose) so long as they have a match within the 'matchday' period. If a team has two matches within the round, you need to specify which game your prediction is for. If one of your teams' games is postponed or cancelled, you must replace them with another team. If you don't, you will score nothing for that prediction.
*When I say 'within reason', I truly don't care if you want to predict games from Iceland or Brazil or Pakistan. Do it every week if you want. I have league tables, so it's valid. I will care if you start picking games in North Korean indoor five-a-side leagues. If you're unsure, PM me.

Here's the important part: clubs are ranked based firstly on the league they are in and secondly on their final position in the season most recently finished, eg in England, Manchester United are ranked first because they are champions, and Crystal Palace are ranked 20th because they were promoted via the playoffs.

Matches will be scored as follows:
  • If a team you pick wins, you score 5 points. If that team is ranked below their opponents, you also score one point for each ranking place difference. Eg, if you pick Everton (6th) to beat Manchester United and they win, you score 5 + 5 = 10 points towards your match score. If your team is ranked above their opponents, you just score the 5 points.
  • If a team you pick draws, you just score the ranking points. So if Everton draw with United, you get 5 points.
  • If a team you pick loses, you score 0 points for that team.
The implications of this system are, I hope, obvious.

Season - The Prediction League season will last the whole of the English football season, ending with the Prediction Cup final.

Leagues - The 2013-14 Prediction League season will consist of two groups (or more, depending on how many entrants we get) of teams, leading to a Championship group for the top teams in the last few weeks of the season. It will be, as per the poll, in a head-to-head format. The precise format will not be finalised until the closing date for entrants has passed. The divisions will be drawn at random, in public. Fixture lists will be determined and published in their entirety in a separate thread shortly afterwards.

In the league, players will be awarded three points for a win, one for a draw, none for a loss. Following lengthy discussions with myself, bonus points have been eliminated. Those on the same points will be separated by points difference, then points scored, then results between teams.

Cups - There will be two cup competitions: the Prediction Association Cup and the Prediction League Cup. In the cups, draws will be random and public as they have been previously and will by and large coincide with real life cup competitions.

Certainly are. A massive ****ing workload for you especially if teams are picked from around the globe :icon_wink
It's really not that big. I've already got league tables from pretty much everywhere. It's just a case of creating a ranking list from them whenever a new league comes up.

Some smart**** will try to find a league you never knew existed:icon_wink

As I've mentioned, the new Prediction League will follow a new format for the 2013-14 season. I've shown an early version of this to a couple of people, and the response has been positive. At least, that's how I'm taking it. I hope you all feel the same way. Any questions or feedback welcome, just PM me.

Predictions
- Exact scores will not be required in the new Prediction League. Instead, players will pick ten clubs per round (I have a calendar very carefully worked out; rounds will last anything between two and six days, but as it stands will normally be four). Clubs can be picked from, within reason, any league* (though I expect most will pick English teams, this allows for, say, Blaarev to predict Norwegian games if he so chose) so long as they have a match within the 'matchday' period.
Thanks for using me as an example (I think)

What a out doing some pre-season games? The Norwegian League has several rounds in July and I'm sure other leagues have as well. Could be useful to try the new set-up before the season starts.

What a out doing some pre-season games? The Norwegian League has several rounds in July and I'm sure other leagues have as well. Could be useful to try the new set-up before the season starts.

Leamington v Leicester could be worth **** loads of points.

I've actually been working on the calendar today, pre-season games could be forced in if people want to do it.

If you pick man U to beat Everton and its a draw, do you get any points?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4597
2Leeds Utd4590
3Ipswich4490
4Southampton4584
5Norwich City4573
6West Brom4572
7Hull City4570
8Middlesbro4566