Prediction League - new rules and format

Status
Not open for further replies.
All that said, I intend to consult Prediction Leaguers at the end of the season to seek suggestions for tweaks to the format / rules.

No. Awarding points for half a game seems wrong somehow. Where do you draw the line? If a match is abandoned after five minutes, should that count too?

When was the last time a match was abandoned after 5 minutes?
Most matches are abandoned due to bad weather. If the weather is so bad that a pitch can become unplayable after 5 minutes, it wouldn't start at all.

I think that would defeat the whole point of the scoring system.

I think it's fairer than some people not being able to predict just because they're not online at the weekend.

All that said, I intend to consult Prediction Leaguers at the end of the season to seek suggestions for tweaks to the format / rules.

There's a mighty big presumption going on there ;-)

If it helps, my version of the Prediction League followed what the bookies do and counted the score at the time of the abandonment as the final score. People moaned about that too.

Last edited:
Quite. Whichever way it's done, people will take issue with it. Given that I've set precedent now, I'm not prepared to change it. The time for rule changes is between seasons :thumbs_up

Before I do this evening's updates, I'll mention this. I've had what I think is an excellent suggestion for a rule change for next season (similar to one that I was already considering, but better) from Jeff, which I've stuck a pin in and saved for discussion in May. If anyone at any point in the season has any suggestions - be they rule changes or other tweaks - just PM me and they can be part of the open discussion at the end of this season. You are the people who make the Prediction League happen, so suggestions should come from you.

While I'm here, I'm also going to outline a couple of other things about no-showers.

• If at the end of the season you have turned up for less than 50% of your games, you'll automatically be removed for next season. You may opt back in, but next season there will be an early season tournament to gauge who will actually turn up. If you don't turn up for those games, I'll remove you again.
  • I've been sending a lot of reminders to people who have never showed up for a match. After match day 13, if you've not shown up for five consecutive games, I won't send you any more reminders because it's just a waste of time. Of course, if you do start turning up I'll put you back on the list.
  • The PA Cup starts in January. I've decided that if it's unlikely that you'll turn up, you won't be in the draw.

After consulting my calendar, I've determined that the Championship group at the end of the season should consist of four players. This means that those who finish first and second in each group will qualify. All four will play each other twice, and he or she who finishes top of this group will be the 2013-14 Prediction League champion.

As far as next season goes, my intention at this stage is to create a Prediction Premier League using the top eight players from each group this season. Anything else will depend on how many others remain or join next time around.

I like it. Aim for premier league next year. Top two looking ominous.

Top 8 in each. So only 16 in prem, would this be enough for the calendar, as its currently 20, and your gonna still be finishing early for the 4 teams to play off? How would promotion and relagation work?

Top 8 in each. So only 16 in prem, would this be enough for the calendar, as its currently 20, and your gonna still be finishing early for the 4 teams to play off? How would promotion and relagation work?
Haven't quite ironed everything out yet. I'll let you know when I do :icon_cool

I imagine 16 in the Prem is because otherwise there will be too few in The Championship or whatever the 2nd level is called if there was 18 or 20 due to the number of those who drop out etc. That's of course it there's enough to form the 2nd level.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670
8Middlesbro4669