Prediction League - new rules and format

Status
Not open for further replies.
I havent actually had time to work it out so please excuse me if I'm wrong but doesn't the multiplier thing mean its likely that Man Utd battering some League 2 side at Old Trafford might be more highly rewarded than a lowly side making history with a hard fought 1-0 against a higher league opponent? If so thats hardly in the spirit of a cup competition & for the purposes of a prediction contest doesn't it also reward picking the safe option? Seems a bit wrong to me.

I havent actually had time to work it out so please excuse me if I'm wrong but doesn't the multiplier thing mean its likely that Man Utd battering some League 2 side at Old Trafford might be more highly rewarded than a lowly side making history with a hard fought 1-0 against a higher league opponent? If so thats hardly in the spirit of a cup competition & for the purposes of a prediction contest doesn't it also reward picking the safe option? Seems a bit wrong to me.
That's my reasoning for voting NO in the first place.

I considered this for a long, long time. Jeff made the suggestion two months ago.

A few examples:

You'll get more points for Scunthorpe beating Manyoo 1-0 than you would for Manyoo beating Scunthorpe 7-0.

You'll get more for Barnet beating Manchester City 1-0 than you would for Man City beating Barnet 10-0.

You'll get more for Yeovil beating QPR 1-0 than you would for QPR beating Yeovil 3-0.

I like it. It rewards wins more highly and allows people to pick higher-ranked sides (and therefore be more likely to be better informed on their picks) but also doesn't negate the whole point of the ranking system.

I considered this for a long, long time. Jeff made the suggestion two months ago.

A few examples:

You'll get more points for Scunthorpe beating Manyoo 1-0 than you would for Manyoo beating Scunthorpe 7-0.

You'll get more for Barnet beating Manchester City 1-0 than you would for Man City beating Barnet 10-0.

You'll get more for Yeovil beating QPR 1-0 than you would for QPR beating Yeovil 3-0.

I like it. It rewards wins more highly and allows people to pick higher-ranked sides (and therefore be more likely to be better informed on their picks) but also doesn't negate the whole point of the ranking system.
Ok. I'm convinced! I withdraw my original vote.

Will probably make sod all difference to my indifferent form anyway so I'll play on whatever the rules I guess.Most likely will lead to me being really happy at getting 200 points only to find out my opponent got 600.

Will probably make sod all difference to my indifferent form anyway so I'll play on whatever the rules I guess.Most likely will lead to me being really happy at getting 200 points only to find out my opponent got 600.
My hope is this will mean closer games. It might not though. We'll see.

This trial in the Cup is presumably with a view to using the rule in future league competitions. Perhaps the comparison should be looking at the points gained by picking Manchester United were they to beat Crystal Palace 5-0 (quite likely?) and comparing them to the number that would be achieved if one were to choose Palace when they manage to beat United by single goal (comparatively less likely).

This trial in the Cup is presumably with a view to using the rule in future league competitions. Perhaps the comparison should be looking at the points gained by picking Manchester United were they to beat Crystal Palace 5-0 (quite likely?) and comparing them to the number that would be achieved if one were to choose Palace when they manage to beat United by single goal (comparatively less likely).
Or Yeovil and QPR?

I almost yearn for the simplicity of the Boc contest!

At least the changes won't stop my alphabetical shenanigans :icon_bigg

Will there be a break over the Christmas period or will the games come thick and fast?

Indeed. The reason I've put the dates there is so people can plan ahead and send their picks early if need be.

So it's a match free weekend next week?

Last edited:
So it's a match free weekend next week?
Yes. Only three games left this year. I had to get rid of six rounds of fixtures after the resignations and expulsions, and next week (which, not by coincidence, is FA Cup Second Round weekend) was one of those that got the chop.

Ok ta, I can put my feet up now

I'm up for a friendly next weekend if you fancy it Fox58. As you are in a different League it wont have any effect on our respective Leagues.

Of course it is as long as BM will act as the Referee and be the recipitant of our Predictions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4597
2Leeds Utd4590
3Ipswich4490
4Southampton4584
5Norwich City4573
6West Brom4572
7Hull City4570
8Middlesbro4566