Prediction League - new rules and format

Status
Not open for further replies.
Righto, the Prediction League will be at its halfway point after this weekend. I've already discussed these ideas with my unofficial adviser and he seems to think there's enough validity in them to warrant discussion. So here are the proposals:

1. A reprogramming of the fixture lists from Match day 20 onwards.
Purpose: to minimise/eliminate walkover fixtures at the end of the season. If we can get the pointless matches out of the way as soon as possible, qualification for the Championship Group is less likely to be decided on the last day by someone who joined and never submitted any picks.
Implications: the current fixture list from match day 20 onwards will be completely scrapped and rewritten.

2. A trial run of Jeff's proposed 'multiplier' rule change AND boc's 'more points for a win' suggestion in the PA Cup (name stolen from boc).
Purpose: To test the potential changes and see their pros and cons in a live competition.
Implications: The cup, which starts in January, will have small but important tweaks to the rules that exist in the Prediction League. boc's suggestion wasn't very specific, so here's how I've altered it to make it an actual rule change: instead of 5 points, winning teams will be worth 10, plus ranking points if applicable. Jeff's rule will simply involve multiplying the points by the margin of victory. These rule changes combined reward picking winners more than the current rules. So, Manchester United beating, say, a League Two side 6-0 will no longer be worth just 5 points; it'll be worth 60.

Neither of these things is decided yet.
The reason I'm putting it here is to gauge reaction. Should one or other be done? Both? Neither? PM your opinions or feedback please, even if it's "stop being a twat and leave it as it is". Ta.

Implications: the current fixture list from match day 20 onwards will be completely scrapped and rewritten.

Neither of these things is decided yet.
The reason I'm putting it here is to gauge reaction. Should one or other be done? Both? Neither? PM your opinions or feedback please, even if it's "stop being a twat and leave it as it is". Ta.
Have all the active participants an equal number of walkovers? Would it be more fair to remove all points gained from walkovers vs those who never have contributed?

Last edited:
Have all the active participants an equal number of walkovers? Would it be more fair to remove all points gained from walkovers vs those who never have contributed?
I don't think it'd be right to expunge records at this stage of the season, for the simple reason that it would cock everyone's GDs up, and they've been fairly earned. Next season, there will be no no-shows. That's for definite.

I don't think it'd be right to expunge records at this stage of the season, for the simple reason that it would cock everyone's GDs up, and they've been fairly earned. Next season, there will be no no-shows. That's for definite.
Fair point! Have any of the regulars lost to someone who now doesn't predict anymore?

Last edited:
Fair point! Have any of the regulars lost to someone who now doesn't predict anymore?
Yes. Macky beat Xowie, Mawsley beat GW9 (who didn't turn up) and beaumontfox (who did, but might as well have not bothered). jb5000 has been missing for a couple of weeks but, I understand, will be back. Brown Nose picked up 8 wins but resigned before match day 17.

Yes. Macky beat Xowie, Mawsley beat GW9 (who didn't turn up) and beaumontfox (who did, but might as well have not bothered). jb5000 has been missing for a couple of weeks but, I understand, will be back. Brown Nose picked up 8 wins but resigned before match day 17.
A bit unfair for Xowie and beaumont then. Perhaps they could get three points for those matches? Macky and Maws obviously used illegible players and must be punished! (I guess a few in here would volunteer for that job)

A bit unfair for Xowie and beaumont then. Perhaps they could get three points for those matches? Macky and Maws obviously used illegible players and must be punished! (I guess a few in here would volunteer for that job)
A bit, but I'm still reluctant. It stinks of a mid-season moving of goalposts.

It's not their fault, it's the dodgy printing on the back of their shirts. I blame the people in the Foxes megasuperduperhyperstore, or whatever it's called these days.
I struggle to see what I did there....

2. A trial run of Jeff's proposed 'multiplier' rule change AND boc's 'more points for a win' suggestion in the PA Cup (name stolen from boc).
Purpose: To test the potential changes and see their pros and cons in a live competition.
Implications: The cup, which starts in January, will have small but important tweaks to the rules that exist in the Prediction League. boc's suggestion wasn't very specific, so here's how I've altered it to make it an actual rule change: instead of 5 points, winning teams will be worth 10, plus ranking points if applicable. Jeff's rule will simply involve multiplying the points by the margin of victory. These rule changes combined reward picking winners more than the current rules. So, Manchester United beating, say, a League Two side 6-0 will no longer be worth just 5 points; it'll be worth 60.
It's been pointed out to me, quite rightly, that this isn't clear as relates to the application of the multiplier. After some consideration, I've come to the conclusion that the multiplier will not apply to ranking points. So, the formula for working out the score for a team beating an opponent ranked above them in the file will be: (rank difference) + (10 x winning margin). :thumbs_up

Because of the response of those who have replied, I will be sorting out a new fixture list in the coming days. It will not include absentees at all, because a) I'm bored of the walkovers now, and b) it's easier. Published league tables will also not include absentees. Points already earned will not be affected. From match day 20 onward, those who don't turn up in one form or another for fixtures by 3pm Saturday (or 7.45 Monday for midweek games) will have their most recent valid set of picks used for that fixture.

Obviously this will mean fewer fixtures, so I'll have bugger about with the calendar as well.

Removed: Doug, Dour, FOX Franks, Macky, MUSSWELL_FOX, cornishfox, Han, Mandy33, Mawsley.
Resigned: Brown Nose (match day 17 onwards), GazLCFC (match day 20 onwards), Vulpine (match day 1 onwards).

Which keeps it nice and neat at 14 in each group :thumbs_up

The new scoring option for the Cup is still open for feedback. PMs, texts, abusive messages on Facebook etc welcome.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4597
2Leeds Utd4590
3Ipswich4490
4Southampton4584
5Norwich City4573
6West Brom4572
7Hull City4570
8Middlesbro4566