Premier League 2013/14

Status
Not open for further replies.
Really a massive shame for Southampton. Cortese has supposedly been a big part of what's got them to where they are, and Pocchetino has been a great hire - they've done really well and become an exciting team to watch, developed a bit of a soft spot for them this season.

Hopefully they don't fall away from here.

When was the last time man u were 9/2 for the win?

Moe is doing a fine job helping Everton in their quest for a top six place, as ever....

Man United aren't going to make the Champions League, bar some big January additions, but I just can't see them getting any world class players in.

Zoopla have announced that they are ending their sponsorship of West Brom over Anelka's Quenelle gesture. That is really hitting West Brom where it will hurt.

The vast majority of footballers would have never heard of the Quenelle. Anelka being French and a friend of the comedian Dieudonne would know exactly what it meant.

Keith Downing's recent interview shows a coach out of his depth in matters outside football. He seems to believe that Anelka playing well makes up for the gesture. It is an interesting contrast to the decisive action taken by Nigel over the Wayne Brown incident.

Personally I'm glad that West Brom played Anelka anyway; I wouldn't want to see sponsors dictating team choices!

Having said that, I don't really understand the quenelle gesture. From what I heard at the time it happened, my understanding was that the French comedian that did it was arguing it wasn't a racist gesture, but others were saying it was

Personally I'm glad that West Brom played Anelka anyway; I wouldn't want to see sponsors dictating team choices!

Having said that, I don't really understand the quenelle gesture. From what I heard at the time it happened, my understanding was that the French comedian that did it was arguing it wasn't a racist gesture, but others were saying it was

Two very different paragraphs in that the first is thoughtful and raises an interesting point. Under normal circumstances the manager should decide who plays. However, this is not like King Power trying to secede whether or not King should replace James. A sponsor will not want their name associated with anything that can bring their product into disrepute.

The second paragraph gives a misleading impression. The Quenelle is better described as a salute rather than a gesture. Dieudonne is not merely a racist comedian; a Gallic Bernard Manning. His "shows" are more like political rallies. Bernard Manning did not have supporters who greeted each other with a salute away from the show. Manning never featured holocaust deniers in his shows. People in Britain may have been unaware of the meaning of the quenelle salute but Anelka as a friend of Dieudonne will not be that naïve.

People in Britain may have been unaware of the meaning of the quenelle salute but Anelka as a friend of Dieudonne will not be that naïve.

A former Mrs Boc was unaware of the meaning of the French word 'quenelle' and upon ordering a 'quenelle de brochette' was served with what can only be described as a fishy foamy substance in a sausage skin. Goodness knows how she managed to eat it; I'm sure I could not have done.

Is there any link between the two 'quenelles'?

A former Mrs Boc was unaware of the meaning of the French word 'quenelle' and upon ordering a 'quenelle de brochette' was served with what can only be described as a fishy foamy substance in a sausage skin. Goodness knows how she managed to eat it; I'm sure I could not have done.

Quenelle if I know! ;)

The fish dumpling apparently derived it's name from the german knoedel (noodle). Apparently they were thought to resemble suppositories, and the gesture (which is supposed to mimic fisting) in turn derived from that

So, Yes!!

The fish dumpling apparently derived it's name from the german knoedel (noodle). Apparently they were thought to resemble suppositories, and the gesture (which is supposed to mimic fisting) in turn derived from that

So, Yes!!

Education can come in the most surprising of circumstances. Thanks (sincerely) for this.

My impression was that the gesture was very like what we as school-boys would have called the 'up-yours'. Have you any insight into how this became anti-semitic in nature? I suppose there is a difference in the shape of the hand; in the 'up-yours' it would be a fist whereas in the 'quenelle' it seems to be open handed (as was the nazi-salute) with the palm downwards.

It is quite an old gesture, back to Victorian times I believe and was, as Anelka says, a generally anti-authoritarian signal. As you say, it is similar to others which are of the same "up yours" theme. The anti-semitic connection seems to be recent, maybe because of it's use by Anelka's friend??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670
8Middlesbro4669