Premier League Transfers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jones is a very sensible signing for me. He can play a couple of positions and has proved competent against top players. Fergie's building again. I am happy cos it's an English young player who will get experience at the top club level of football.

The abroad thing is false. Arsenal paid £9million for a centre-back with minimal French caps and little top tier experience last summer.

Is it all forward thinking?

There's a lot of talk about the financial fair play at the moment and maybe we're starting to see the start of clubs planning ahead rather than relying on buying established players on big contracts.

United will more than likely make one or two more signings like this now that Neville and Scholes have retired, leaving a hole in the wage budget. O'Shea and Brown are probably on decent money, too.

Half and half.

There's no doubt the financial rules are having some effect on clubs are across the world throwing money about (though personally I still think the clubs will find a loophole).

For me, clubs are recognising that players' peaks are a lot more lower than what they once were. The world's best players say that and pace has become the all-important skill. Likes of Messi and Ronaldo are early twenties, not their mid-twenties.

The sport has become a physical and tiring beast, where as you may not run 26 miles or bike 150 miles in a day but instead you are expected to reach your personal peak of fitness every Saturday and Tuesday/Wednesday. Hence players' performances are dropping off from 26-28 years onwards....probably the likes of Kaka and Gerrard the greatest example as the injuries begin to take hold. The exception to rule is Italy....probably because of the style of football there. However, that's slightly changing.

Although they play in different positions, I think Phil Jones is a much better prospect than Jordan Henderson. I reckon the latter could turn out to be an absolute stinker of a move.

Last edited:
I expect a legal case if Liverpool or Arsenal sign him. He had a £16 million clause in his contract and now the Venkys are pissed off that it was there, losing out on another £5/6 million. Regardless of what the Venky's think...the power always lies with the player in these situations.

If pen hasn't been put to paper then I can't see why there would be any legal case.

Kevin Nolan to West Ham is a bit of a strange one

Surely a lack of ambition? One of Newcastle's top scorers last season, if not the top scorer, yet he's taking a step down a level to the Championship. I'd have thought he'd have either stayed at Newcastle or tried to get a move to a bigger club.

Surely a lack of ambition? One of Newcastle's top scorers last season, if not the top scorer, yet he's taking a step down a level to the Championship. I'd have thought he'd have either stayed at Newcastle or tried to get a move to a bigger club.

He's been trying to sort a new contract with them but cannot agree terms. Having worked with Allardyce (rather successfully) past he probably only expects one season in The Championship.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670
8Middlesbro4669