Status
Not open for further replies.
MM: "Nigel was always my first choice"

MM: "He shares my enthusiasm, passion, drive and desire for this great club"

NP: "This was too good an opportunity to turn down"

Any more?

"Excellent ground, excellent training ground/facilities, great fans"

All I want is:

If someone unpopular was installed I would give them my support. Just like everyone should do.

If they don't get the results, I will continue to show my encouragement hoping they will turn things round.

What I won't stand for is a lazy bunch of feckwits, tuning up each week to get paid and nothing else.

What I won't stand for is a manager without motivational or tactical skills

He never seems particularly charismatic during bbc interviews etc but I suppose we must give him a chance....

NP: "This is a Premiership club"

MM: "We've had a few setbacks, but we would have reached the playoffs if the Ginge stayed"

It's a huge gamble, so big that we may as well have appointed Taggart or Walshie. Not a good appointment, I would have preferred John Gregory.

I'm still convinced that Taggart will make a good manager and I agree that he's less of a gamble than Pearson.

"we're gonna do the treble"

Stern john please to come in!!! He can do the job for us FACT!

What a great fecking birthday this is going to be.

Nigel Pearson:

As manager of Carlisle United, he helped to keep the club in the Football League at the end of the 1998–99 season. Pearson signed on-loan goalkeeper Jimmy Glass, who scored an injury-time goal against Plymouth Argyle, saving the club from relegation to the Football Conference at the expense of Scarborough.[2] The match was Pearson's last in charge of the Brunton Park outfit.

In 1999 he was recruited as Stoke City's first team coach by Gary Megson. Although Megson was sacked later that year by the club's Icelandic consortium, Pearson was kept on for a further two years under Gudjon Thordarson, before being sacked in 2001.[3]

Pearson moved to West Bromwich Albion in November 2004 as assistant manager to Bryan Robson,[4] and took over as caretaker manager when Robson left the club in September 2006.[5] Albion won three and drew one of his matches in charge, before he stepped down from the role in preparation for the arrival of new manager Tony Mowbray.[6]

On October 19, 2006 he was linked with the Sheffield Wednesday manager's position but instead took over as assistant manager of Newcastle United, taking over from Kevin Bond, who was dismissed following a bung scandal. Pearson's influence was most apparent in Newcastle's defence, which looked a lot more composed after Pearson became assistant manager.

On 1 February 2007 Pearson was confirmed as assistant coach to Stuart Pearce, the England U21 team manager until after the 2007 European Championships. As Pearce's contract limits him to involvement in only one friendly before the Championship, Pearson led the under-21s in their 3–3 draw against Italy on 24 March 2007, the first game at the new Wembley.[7][8]

When Newcastle manager Glenn Roeder resigned on Sunday 6 May 2007, Nigel Pearson took charge of the remaining game of the season, away to Watford. Pearson stayed on at Newcastle as a coach, following the arrival of Sam Allardyce as manager at the club.[9] On January 9 following the departure of manager Sam Allardyce he was re-appointed as caretaker manager for Newcastle's trip to Manchester United.[10] Newcastle lost 6–0 thanks to a Cristiano Ronaldo hat trick, a brace from Carlos Tevez and a rare Rio Ferdinand goal. On 16 January 2008, after Kevin Keegan had been announced as the next permanent manager of the club, Pearson took charge of the team for the 3rd round FA Cup replay against Stoke City, which Newcastle won 4–1. Though on February 8, it was announced that Pearson had left the club.[11]

On 18 February 2008, Pearson was appointed as manager of Southampton F.C. on a rolling contract.[12] His career at Southampton got off to a poor start, losing 2-0 to Plymouth Argyle. This result, however, should not count against him as he took charge on the same day and had no involvement in selecting the team. He saw his first point and goal away at Scunthorpe United.

On May 4, 2008, with only one game to go at home to Sheffield United, the Saints were facing relegation to League 1. After going 1-0 down, Pearson's side pulled-off an impressive comeback to win the game 3-2, and secure Championship status for another season, at the expense of Leicester City, who could only manage a 0-0 draw with Stoke City. On May 30, 2008 Pearson was controversially replaced by Dutch coach Jan Poortvliet after only three months in charge.

I can't say I'm inspired but good luck to him!!

Thanks Pete, didn't know most of that. Good luck to our new manager, he'll need it...

Coaching qualifications is what he needs. Luck isn't a necessity.

I have it from a trusted source that the press conference is about an extension to the early bird season ticket discounts. You heard it here first.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670
8Middlesbro4669