Proposed ground of the 70's

Status
Not open for further replies.
Regardless of where the ground would have been built, what do people actually think of the design? for a ground that would have been almost 40 years old I don't think it looks too bad. Does anyone know what the capacity would have been?

:icon_lol: and I have to get a plane rather than walk these days.

I'm still waiting for Blue Maniac to pick me up in that taxi, actually. We're going to miss the big kick off, I just know it!

Hmm. If I get a taxi to yours, then we come back round the world the other way, do you think we'll be here before yesterday's game if we go through the time zones quick enough?

Hmm. If I get a taxi to yours, then we come back round the world the other way, do you think we'll be here before yesterday's game if we go through the time zones quick enough?

It's possible, but the taxi will have to be a DeLorean and you're gonna need a flux capacitor

Regardless of where the ground would have been built, what do people actually think of the design? for a ground that would have been almost 40 years old I don't think it looks too bad. Does anyone know what the capacity would have been?

I was wondering about the capacity too. It looks massive, look at how it's got that ramp at the side for people to walk up. Judging from that picture it could probably be bigger than the Walkers Stadium, perhaps about 40,000 capacity.

Its certainly a lot more individual than the stadium-in-a-box we have now and I like the Olympic Way style ramp.

In the late 60's early 70's there was a lot of talk about taking over the Dog/Speedway Stadium off Blackbird Road as the New site for the City
it had a natural bowl,and with the basics already there, but never came to fruition...... dont know why

In the late 60's early 70's there was a lot of talk about taking over the Dog/Speedway Stadium off Blackbird Road as the New site for the City
it had a natural bowl,and with the basics already there, but never came to fruition...... dont know why

I would hazard a guess there would potentially be residential problems with the build of a large(ish) stadium there.

Straining the memory a bit, but I think that the proposed capacity was about 28k, all seated. Don't think there were ever any details released, just this "artists impression". Despite what some have said, accessibility was an issue - the roads were pretty poor, and the stadium plan was, as I recall, dependent on a proposed light rail scheme linking BL to the city centre.

It would also, of course, have needed the Council to lift the covenents on Filbert St, which they consistently refused to do (until the club had splashed out on Building the carling stand)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670
8Middlesbro4669