Puel out

Status
Not open for further replies.
More than a manager, I think it starts with a proper DoF, who sets an identity for the club and takes the recruitment of all personnel from their. We had a reputation as a counter attacking, dogged team that put hard work first and we’ve pissed it away in a blind panic of getting relegated that was never really that big a threat.
There. TB suicide.

2 Questions for those that want a change of manager.
Who? (Realistically)
How long will you give them ?
Anyone who won’t make me dread going to games, and then making me feel like slitting my wrists once I’m in the stadium.

Anyone. Literally anyone.

2 Questions for those that want a change of manager.
Who? (Realistically)
How long will you give them ?

The 'who' question eh?

If we assume that Mahrez plus the 'unnecessaries' depart, someone will have at least £150m to invest in our squad.

This makes this summer the most significant one ever really. We could get away with Summer 16 being a mess because we still had the quality in place. But next season and after that? It's going to need some seriously smart investments in some seriously good players.

If the minimum standard is to be the 'best of the rest' and the owners real desire is to be competing for European football and upsetting the top six, then we have to aim smart or aim high.

Everton have had a similar situation recently. They went with Steve Walsh to source the players and Koeman to mould the unit together. It failed miserably. Not because either are bad at their jobs, it's just that you have to get the combination of factors right and ensure that the people assigned with the responsibility to make the decisions, and put the pieces of the jigsaw together, are properly aligned. Those two were chucked together and there was no sense to their frantic approach.

The thought of Puel being given that money with a Director of Recruitment (Macia), who I've still never heard one word from in two years, fills me with dread. These two just don't strike me as the right options for the task ahead. Who exactly is going to be attracted to the club by Puel? Neither have any record of doing what we require despite both having had multiple roles all over the place. So, along with ditching Puel at the final whistle against Spurs, I'd also ditch Macia.

We can go one of two ways. In the 90s, we did well by recruiting British managers with a lot of passion and ambition and allowing them to bring in players that they'd always liked but never been able to afford. So we had the excellent benefits of Little and O'Neill. If we tried similar, I'd go for Sean Dyche on the basis that he knows some very good players that he'd recruit if he could and he'd have a clear methodology about ensuring the right sort of players come in. It would make sense in many respects and I'd support it.

The other option is to recruit a 'name'. Someone who will attract higher calibre players from around the world because his reputation would open doors. I've not a clue who I'd go for on this basis but they exist and if you offer the manager enough money personally and in a transfer kitty, I think you'd be surprised who could be tempted. If I'm honest, my trust in the owners decision making here is non-existent. However, it's a strong possibility. After all, that's what they did with Sousa, Eriksson and Ranieri.

My wildcard is that it really wouldn't surprise me to see Ranieri come back. Our owners have form at that sort of thing and it might just be something that would appeal to both sides. There is definitely the feeling of 'unfinished business' there.

Your second question is much easier, I'd give whoever got the job as much time as their performance in the role merited. I gave Sousa until half time in his first match. My general attitude to managers is 'deliver the goods or feck off'.

Not being able to immediately name a specific person to take over as manager does not, by default, mean that Puel is anywhere near good enough to take this club forwards and should stay.

It's a stupid argument that gets trotted out at any point that fans think the current bloke ain't cutting it.

Suggest a high profile, successful manager, and you're 'not being realistic'
Suggest a manager currently in the Premier League, it's 'why would he leave x and come to us?'
Suggest someone promising from the lower leagues, or from abroad, and it's 'how do you know he would be any better than Puel'
Continue to advocate getting rid of the manager and it's 'look what happened to Southampton/West Brom etc. when they sacked their manager - be careful what you wish for'

We've had months of the 'we're in transition' stuff, and actually I'm starting to believe it.

In just a few short months we've transitioned into a dull, flaccid, lifeless tragedy of a football team, despite having two of the most exciting players this club has ever seen.

Puel out, regardless of who replaces him

I have to admit I am quite a patient person and would generally be in the ‘stick’ camp than in the ‘twist’ one.

At the moment though and for about 6-8 games we have zero umph and we are utterly dreadful to watch.

I am deeply concerned that if Puel is allowed to recruit in the summer with ~£150 million we may end up going backwards and be in serious trouble next season.

One other thing troubles me - when we talk about teams style of play - ours has never been the counter attack bar under Ranieri and before that we were always a team that worked hard and pushed high up the pitch.

Our current style is ‘space invaders’ and ****ng dreadful to watch.

What should our blueprint style be for the future?

Countdown clock is well and truly on now.

While I can appreciate the concern around the replacement, City are in a tough spot.

Keep a manager who has alienated fans and players and risk relegation or have a punt. Neither are particularly appealing but one provides hope while the over provides dread.

The same lineup twice in 22 games? Feck me that’s ridiculous.

Puel is not the right man. He does not inspire the player or get them to play to the best of their ability.
With the expensive players at his disposal already at the club, they should be out-performing Burnely, but we are falling behind. We under-perform on the pitch too.
It's a no-brainer. He has to go. Yes it's a risk that the replacement might be worse, but football at highly-paid managerial level is a results business. We see the results with Puel. Not good enough for a club that expects, and budgets for, a place in Europe.

**** it lets go do down the route of Southampton WBA Stoke be careful what you ask for! The guy has hardly been here FFS

Give the man some time he has changed our style of play and it is evident that some of the players do not have the technical ability such as Simpson. I am sure if he is able to get in the players he wants we will improve, the future is actually bright if you look at our youth squad and he is definitely the manager to select young players.

I've thought sacking Ranieri was right as it's a massive no no to go from champions to pitiful relegation fodder in less than a year, and equally it was right with Shakespeare - appointing Shakespeare was a massive no no from the get go. On this one I just don't think it'd sit right with me to sack him this season. It's garbage football, but we're not in danger of getting relegated and therefore he at least deserves the chance to take us into next season and see where we go from there..

ut we're not in danger of getting relegated and therefore he at least deserves the chance to take us into next season and see where we go from there..
Worryingly I think the owners will think the same as they won’t want to seem too trigger happy.

But giving Puel loads of cash to buy players to fit his boring as **** style, whilst season ticket renewals hit an all time low isn’t very appealing.

I'm sure that Puel is a nailed on disaster who shouldn't be trusted to throw away vast sums on bringing in players in his own mould.

The guy has destroyed the spirit of the club and by that I mean the fans never mind the players in next to no time. I note that Miles Away (someone I don't normally agree much with) recently posted that this is "going to end badly". It certainly is.

Puel should be allowed to go quietly at the end of the season and the owners think more carefully than last time around about appointing a manager who can manage and also inspire. This option wouldn't be so much taking a punt but a business like decision that it just isn't working taken before the guy empties the ground.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4494
2Leeds Utd4590
3Ipswich4490
4Southampton4584
5Norwich City4573
6West Brom4572
7Hull City4570
8Middlesbro4566