Qualifying for Europa League?

Status
Not open for further replies.
No bad thing missing out on the Europa League this year. Gives us a full preseason under BR and a chance to build further.

I really don't understand this reasoning, (not just you SF) if we don't qualify for Europe this year we will have a better chance of qualifying in the future?

These opportunities don't come along all that often, and Leicester fans should know better than most how quickly things can change, it seems arrogant to me to dismiss this opportunity assuming a better one will come along.

Jaysus - just looking at out last 3 fixtures. Doesn’t fill you with hope that we’re going to break that 50 point barrier does it?
It’s going to be an interesting few games, should give us a view into how Brendan sees us matching up to the “big” teams.

I think maybe Europa league is going to have to wait... but I’ll gladly be proven wrong!

I don’t disagree with you Feriol, but my concern is we are not strong enough yet to compete in Europe. We don’t really have 2 players for every position so as a result, I fear the early start to the season and the extra games would tell later on next season.

They are just different pre-season training games. Maccabi Tel Aviv and Krasnodar instead of Oadby and Shepshed

Maccabi Tel Aviv and Krasnodar instead of Oadby and Shepshed

Not really. The Europa League qualifying games would be fairly close to the start of the season, so we'd be playing teams like Birmingham and West Brom by that stage.

The qualifying games shouldn't have much of an impact on pre-season. The problem is all the group stage games, if we get there, could have an effect on our league form.

We don’t really have 2 players for every position

Without any signings in the summer, and taking out those out of contract players this summer, we already have well over two per position:

Schmeichel / Ward / Jakupovic
Ricardo / Amartey
Morgan / Maguire / Soyuncu / Evans / Benkovic
Chilwell / Elder
Ndidi / Mendy / Choudhury / James / King / Silva / Maddison
Gray / Diabate / Ghezzal / Barnes / Albrighton / Kapustka
Vardy / Iheanacho / Slimani

And that doesn't include the U23 players that are/have been close to the first team such as Johnson, Knight, etc.

I think we already have a European style sized squad. It's far too big for a team not in Europe.

Without any signings in the summer, and taking out those out of contract players this summer, we already have well over two per position:

Ricardo / Amartey
Chilwell / Elder

And that doesn't include the U23 players that are/have been close to the first team such as Johnson, Knight, etc.

I think we already have a European style sized squad. It's far too big for a team not in Europe.
Unfortunately a good number of those are just simply not good enough.

Ricardo / Amartey
Chilwell / Elder

I've not worked it out but at a quick glance about half of that list is ****ing garbage. Would still love to qualify though.

Unfortunately a good number of those are just simply not good enough.

I agree in terms of the Premier League. We need a big old clear out.

However, were we to qualify for the preliminary rounds of the Europa league, we could easily field sides that would enable us to protect the squad.

I reckon about 11 of those need getting rid of.

Isn’t qualifying for Europe a case of creating an impression, though? If we’re trying to be a club that is looking to step up the ladder, you qualify by either winning a trophy, or finishing in a decent league position. That’s what we need to do, on a consistent basis, in order to make a move to the next level.

Arsenal are rubbish away from home.

We've already beaten Manchester City and Chelsea this season.

So that's an easy nine points.
Still might not be enough though.
I love your optimism.

Arsenal are rubbish away from home.

We've already beaten Manchester City and Chelsea this season.

So that's an easy nine points.
Still might not be enough though.
So easily sorted, all we need now is for Watford to lose the cup final....:001:

So easily sorted, all we need now is for Watford to lose the cup final....:001:

That would seem to be the easy bit.

Ricardo / Amartey
Chilwell / Elder

Is James able to run ?????

Wolves 2-0 in front and up to 7th

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4494
2Leeds Utd4490
3Ipswich4389
4Southampton4484
5West Brom4472
6Norwich City4472