Rangers to go into Administration

Status
Not open for further replies.
What is ridiculous about this is that, if they were deducted 10 points, they would still stand a good chance of finishing second. Motherwell or Hearts would still have to have a run of wins on a scale neither club has achieved so far this season in order to possibly overtake Rangers. The SPL must be the most uncompetitive league in Europe.

Its hilarious that the deduction of the 10 points is extremely unlikely to affect the final places. The SPL is a nonsense football league - its sort of a league competition between two clubs with the rest filling in the fixture list. They might consider introducing a handicapping system.

It really grinds my gears that football clubs are happy to pay tens of thousands per week in wages to their players and willingly withhold their taxes. To accrue a £78 million tax bill is absolutely ridiculous! HMRC have been taking a much harder line in recent years regarding football clubs and their tax bills and so they should. I know it isn't just football clubs that do this, Vodafone being a recent high profile example, but it really needs to be stamped out.

Companies do it all the time though.
My daughter worked the other year for a company that eventually went bust, but in the tax year in question they had not paid a penny in tax even though tax had been deducted from her pay. HMRC want her to estimate her pay so that they can work out how much she owes in tax, which will be deducted from the overpayment of tax she had in another job she did during the same tax year. She was never given a P45 or P60 by the company and the Accoutnats who dealt with that companys tax affairs refuse to help because they were never paid either for their services either before Bankruptcy.
It happened to me with NI contributions when I got made redundant back in 2007, the company did not pass them on and I only found out when on the dole a couple years later. Luckily I had a P45 so was able to prove it.

HMRC want her to estimate her pay so that they can work out how much she owes in tax, which will be deducted from the overpayment of tax she had in another job she did during the same tax year.

She should tell HMRC to go and gently **** themselves in a skip

Why? They have no proof she has paid anything, if they let her get away with it then loads would try it.

Exactly. Spin it around, HMRC have no proof that she's ever been paid anything. HMRC had an agent working for them and collecting revenue for them, the employer. It is the employer that has defrauded them, not MoFo's young one.

Exactly. Spin it around, HMRC have no proof that she's ever been paid anything. HMRC had an agent working for them and collecting revenue for them, the employer. It is the employer that has defrauded them, not MoFo's young one.

interesting, didn't think of it like that.

It really grinds my gears that football clubs are happy to pay tens of thousands per week in wages to their players and willingly withhold their taxes. To accrue a £78 million tax bill is absolutely ridiculous! HMRC have been taking a much harder line in recent years regarding football clubs and their tax bills and so they should. I know it isn't just football clubs that do this, Vodafone being a recent high profile example, but it really needs to be stamped out.

From what I gather, the vast majority of the debt is not general PAYE that they have accrued and failed to pay.

The debt goes back to the early 2000's when the Directors were paid via an Employee Benefit Trust (EBT), rather than as salary or dividend, to avoid paying tax & NI (both personally and as a company).

At the time it was thought that the schemes were legit. HMRC thought differently (I think some legislation was changed, put in to place or enforced) and are now chasing down everyone who was paid via an EBT, going after all of the tax & NI that they believe they are owed (plus interest).

Companies do it all the time though.
My daughter worked the other year for a company that eventually went bust, but in the tax year in question they had not paid a penny in tax even though tax had been deducted from her pay.
Does she have any proof of what she had deducted or a contract of employment of any sort? HMRC are trying it on here, if she was a bona fide employee then the responsibility falls totally on the company. If she has some payslips showing deductions that would be great ( by the way, do not send originals to HMRC, they are great at losing things ). She needs to emphasise that she was a PAYE employee and any questions HMRC have should be directed at the administrators or liquidators of the company, she should not get involved with estimating her income, the company should have this information. If you need any help feel free to PM me as I work in tax and I don't want your daughter getting ripped off.

Does she have any proof of what she had deducted or a contract of employment of any sort? HMRC are trying it on here, if she was a bona fide employee then the responsibility falls totally on the company. If she has some payslips showing deductions that would be great ( by the way, do not send originals to HMRC, they are great at losing things ). She needs to emphasise that she was a PAYE employee and any questions HMRC have should be directed at the administrators or liquidators of the company, she should not get involved with estimating her income, the company should have this information. If you need any help feel free to PM me as I work in tax and I don't want your daughter getting ripped off.

As I understand it, if she was due to pay her tax by PAYE, she is not liable even if the company did not deduct any tax. It is the company (or whoever now is responsible for the company) that HMRC need to speak to, not your daughter.

Hmmm, not sure what day it would be. He might have to work his notice and finish on the Friday.

Might take you up on that cheers
The company that eventually went bust was a Partnership (married couple) - not sure if that makes difference. As I mentioned the Accountants who dealt with that company's tax affairs refuse to help because they were never paid for their services in that tax year. I'm going to write to the administrators or liquidators of the company although her final pay owed was paid by some government redundancy place in Edinburgh, Which she needs to declare also.

As I understand it, if she was due to pay her tax by PAYE, she is not liable even if the company did not deduct any tax. It is the company (or whoever now is responsible for the company) that HMRC need to speak to, not your daughter.

On Wednesdays OS

I am aware and shocked at the media reports today linking my name to an inquiry over the potential purchase of Glasgow Rangers Football Club.

First and foremost, I can categorically deny that there is any substance to these stories and I am disappointed that such articles are printed without any foundation whatsoever. I have never had any dialogue or contact to anyone relating to Glasgow Rangers.

Glasgow Rangers is a huge football club with a great heritage and history, but I already have that that here at Sheffield Wednesday.

For clarity, I have not instructed any of my associates to register an interest in the administration process at Glasgow Rangers and I have no interest, now or in the future, of becoming involved in the club.

Last edited:
On Wednesdays OS

That man is less believable than a politician

Milan is all about the money - there's no money in Scottish football any more, so his interest will be less than nil.

It's funny to think that not so long ago the Scottish Prem could tempt a manager of a top 8 Premiership side to leave to manage there. It would be inconceivable for that to happen now. Even a Championship manager probably wouldn't go.

@ETimsNet on twitter said:
The end is very nigh. MAJOR development at Ibrox TODAY that takes current admin worries into a new sphere. No wind up - BIG NEWS #Celtic

@ETimsNet on twitter said:
Liquidators visited the Big Hoose today taking photographs of EVERYTHING. Won't reveal liquidators name but this happened today #Celtic

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Bournemouth00
2Arsenal00
3Aston Villa00
4Brentford00
5Brighton00
6Chelsea00
7Palace00
8Everton00