Ranieri Sacked

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm going to sound like a right over sentimental old idiot here but the reason we feel like this is because football is about more than just the football. In fact football is often the least important thing about it.

The things I miss in the summer are the walk to the ground along the canal, watching the seasons change week by week. The friendships with people in the stadium whose names I'll never know, despite sitting with them for years. The smell of beer and fried onions. The first sight of the green of the pitch on a Saturday afternoon. The driving rain against floodlights in the freezing midwinter. They all add up to make the experience of watching your team what it is, and those things are constants, whatever happens on the pitch.

More than anything, whatever the financial and business implications for rich men who like to own football clubs as baubles or advertising vehicles, a football club is about a place and a community. For me it's my last real link with a city I left behind more than a decade ago. It's what's left of my relationship with the place of my birth and formative years and with the people, places and childhood memories I consider to be mine.

When I watch Leicester City play I'm watching people represent my city, my memories, my community. That matters to me far more than any result, promotion or relegation. I don't expect us to be good. But I expect us to try and to behave well. Claudio behaved well. That, as much as the title win, was a wonderful reflection of our city and of all of us associated with it. It made me proud. Yesterday, and from what we hear for some months now, people associated with our club did not behave well. It hurts because that is also a reflection on us and that's important. More so than millionaires kicking a bag of wind about can ever be.
:056:

Whilst I understand the emotive responses, I think that the level of abuse towards players is massively out of proportion.

Everyone fecked up this season, including owners, management, players and fans. Loads got carried away, failed to prepare properly, overestimated themselves and underestimated this season.

Ranieri failed this season, just as he has at multiple clubs and with multiple players before. He's made some catastrophic decisions that bewildered most of us, let alone if you were in the changing room.

He was magnificent for one season. He failed to maintain his or his charges momentum. I wish it was different but if you're told to do things that don't make sense and all you get is 'fight' when your confidence slumps, it's not good enough.

I don't care what the wider community think, we know that we were doomed with the status quo. So did the players and owners.

The right decision has been made. We have far too good a squad to go down in the style we were doing.

One day, Ranieri will visit the KP and be rightly given an exceptional reception and much love. He will always be a hero but he is no longer the right man for the job.
I had a pop at BN a couple of seasons back for constantly flopping between excellent and insane.

Every post I can recall, over the last two weeks, has been either blindingly excellent or simply bang on the money. Excellent work.

At the Everton game, I thought the owners and their lackeys were a bit twattish for grabbing the trophy and parading around the pitch with it.

I saw Pat Murphy write a falsehood about this yesterday on the BBC website which annoyed me as well. What actually happened if you review the footage is that Ranieri practically forced a reluctant Top to hold the trophy, after which Top went around desperately trying to unload it on one of the players, but none of them were interested because they were all holding their kids. Realising he was stuck with the trophy, Top then paraded it around making a big show of pointing out it was for the fans. At no point did he 'grab' the trophy, it was forced on him, and he was desperate for someone else to have it.

The owners are good blokes. Let's not start a witch hunt against them. The players, on the other hand, those who can't be arsed to play because the manager has the cheek to try out a new formation and to play different players, well they should all be considered to be on very thin ice. They were nobodies before Ranieri made them champions, as far as I'm concerned they're nobodies again now. Any more pitiful performances and I think the atmosphere is going to turn toxic quick and the players will be the target.

I saw Pat Murphy write a falsehood about this yesterday on the BBC website which annoyed me as well. What actually happened if you review the footage is that Ranieri practically forced a reluctant Top to hold the trophy, after which Top went around desperately trying to unload it on one of the players, but none of them were interested because they were all holding their kids. Realising he was stuck with the trophy, Top then paraded it around making a big show of pointing out it was for the fans. At no point did he 'grab' the trophy, it was forced on him, and he was desperate for someone else to have it.

The owners are good blokes. Let's not start a witch hunt against them. The players, on the other hand, those who can't be arsed to play because the manager has the cheek to try out a new formation and to play different players, well they should all be considered to be on very thin ice. They were nobodies before Ranieri made them champions, as far as I'm concerned they're nobodies again now. Any more pitiful performances and I think the atmosphere is going to turn toxic quick and the players will be the target.

Hmm. I was there and whilst I'd agree that Top didn't 'grab' the trophy they hardly looked reluctant to parade the thing. Not the first time either; the same happened when we won the second tier. It annoyed me a little both times.

I agree that we have good owners. But that is also my minimum expectation of any person or entity which owns my football club. I won't ever be grateful for it as I believe they are doing only what they are supposed to do whilst they reap tremendous financial benefits from their investment.

When I talk like this people often counter by pointing towards Cardiff City or Hull City. It's a weak counter point; I won't celebrate the fact that they don't appear utterly incompetent or uncaring. Those things aren't the default reality.

I've never been one to look admiringly at those who own football clubs and, to be honest, there's a lot not to admire about King Power. I wish them no ill but if they were to announce tomorrow that they were selling up I'd not shed a tear.

That's not to say I don't appreciate stable ownership. I'm off to watch Coventry vs Swindon today with a Sky Blues supporting friend. I'll see what bad ownership looks like this afternoon!

Whilst I understand the emotive responses, I think that the level of abuse towards players is massively out of proportion.

Everyone fecked up this season, including owners, management, players and fans. Loads got carried away, failed to prepare properly, overestimated themselves and underestimated this season.

Ranieri failed this season, just as he has at multiple clubs and with multiple players before. He's made some catastrophic decisions that bewildered most of us, let alone if you were in the changing room.

He was magnificent for one season. He failed to maintain his or his charges momentum. I wish it was different but if you're told to do things that don't make sense and all you get is 'fight' when your confidence slumps, it's not good enough.

I don't care what the wider community think, we know that we were doomed with the status quo. So did the players and owners.

The right decision has been made. We have far too good a squad to go down in the style we were doing.

One day, Ranieri will visit the KP and be rightly given an exceptional reception and much love. He will always be a hero but he is no longer the right man for the job.
Spot on.

Hmm. I was there and whilst I'd agree that Top didn't 'grab' the trophy they hardly looked reluctant to parade the thing. Not the first time either; the same happened when we won the second tier. It annoyed me a little both times.

I agree that we have good owners. But that is also my minimum expectation of any person or entity which owns my football club. I won't ever be grateful for it as I believe they are doing only what they are supposed to do whilst they reap tremendous financial benefits from their investment.

When I talk like this people often counter by pointing towards Cardiff City or Hull City. It's a weak counter point; I won't celebrate the fact that they don't appear utterly incompetent or uncaring. Those things aren't the default reality.

I've never been one to look admiringly at those who own football clubs and, to be honest, there's a lot not to admire about King Power. I wish them no ill but if they were to announce tomorrow that they were selling up I'd not shed a tear.

That's not to say I don't appreciate stable ownership. I'm off to watch Coventry vs Swindon today with a Sky Blues supporting friend. I'll see what bad ownership looks like this afternoon!

Agree on the concept of football club ownership not being ideal in general and that being well behaved and respectful should be considered minimum standards for owners to adhere to.

I'm not advocating building statues of Vichai or heaping any particular praise on them. But the unfortunate reality is that clubs like ours do almost always need serious financial backing to make any progress*, and that many such backers are in fact ****s.

In that context we have been fortunate to a degree to get the serious financial backing from owners who are generally mild-mannered and respectful, and obviously do care about the club. I don't think it would serve us particularly well to turn on them for making what was obviously a very difficult decision to sack Ranieri.

*I know we won the league on a relative shoestring but getting in that position in the first place took multi-million pound losses in the championship. Go back to the Levein era to see what we look like with minimal financial backing. There are occasional examples of clubs making progress without financial backing, but they are few and far between and usually don't last.

I can only imagine that you weren't there to write such shite. There was no way Top or any of the hangers-on were giving that trophy up, let alone trying to force it on any of the players.

There doesn't seem to be a high level of abuse towards the players - where did you get that from? We've supported them through shit this season. Our supporters haven't turned on them once for inept, lazy performances.

I think even those of us who are pro-Ranieri, realise he has ****ed up too.

He's the only one who has lost his job though. And what we hate is the way it was done. He could've been promoted to an ambassador role or at the very least the owners could have had a sit down with him. not unwavering support changing to you're sacked in 2 weeks.

Of course maybe the owners will be firing Rudkin and everyone involved in scouting, buying and negotiating this week. Maybe they'll buy out the contracts of all the shit players after the Liverpool game. Maybe they'll fire the web site management team via an email overnight.

And then they'll have a word with Sue Whelan and themselves

Everyone should shame the blame and the consequences.

Of course they won't. Claudio wqas singled out and has been fired without honour. But , the gentleman he is, he has risen above it all.

Claudio, we love you.

I'm going to sound like a right over sentimental old idiot here but the reason we feel like this is because football is about more than just the football. In fact football is often the least important thing about it.

The things I miss in the summer are the walk to the ground along the canal, watching the seasons change week by week. The friendships with people in the stadium whose names I'll never know, despite sitting with them for years. The smell of beer and fried onions. The first sight of the green of the pitch on a Saturday afternoon. The driving rain against floodlights in the freezing midwinter. They all add up to make the experience of watching your team what it is, and those things are constants, whatever happens on the pitch.

More than anything, whatever the financial and business implications for rich men who like to own football clubs as baubles or advertising vehicles, a football club is about a place and a community. For me it's my last real link with a city I left behind more than a decade ago. It's what's left of my relationship with the place of my birth and formative years and with the people, places and childhood memories I consider to be mine.

When I watch Leicester City play I'm watching people represent my city, my memories, my community. That matters to me far more than any result, promotion or relegation. I don't expect us to be good. But I expect us to try and to behave well. Claudio behaved well. That, as much as the title win, was a wonderful reflection of our city and of all of us associated with it. It made me proud. Yesterday, and from what we hear for some months now, people associated with our club did not behave well. It hurts because that is also a reflection on us and that's important. More so than millionaires kicking a bag of wind about can ever be.

And that's why some people will never understand why we love football. Perfect.

Any photos of the players arriving at training ground in celebratory mood and Vardy leading a conga from the changing rooms onto the training pitch

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670
8Middlesbro4669