Ranieri

Status
Not open for further replies.
Critically we already have as many wins this year as we had at Xmas last season

Or, we have as many wins as we had after 5 games last season, when the first game most really expected us to win was the 6th match against Palace or the 7th against Burnley,

Comparing the start to this and last season is like ranking apples and oranges. Compare it to the end of last season and you have something a touch more meaningful.

Comparing the start to this and last season is like ranking apples and oranges. Compare it to the end of last season and you have something a touch more meaningful.
It's almost impossible to make a comparison. Sooner or later we will have a run of bad results, it happens to every club. But, make Hay whilst the sun shines.

Based on what we've seen so far, we're looking pretty damned good. But we shouldn't start to expect higher than mid-table IMO

It's almost impossible to make a comparison. Sooner or later we will have a run of bad results, it happens to every club. But, make Hay whilst the sun shines.

Based on what we've seen so far, we're looking pretty damned good. But we shouldn't start to expect higher than mid-table IMO

Agree with all of that.

I think what would be progress would be more consistency. By this I mean not going on a 15+ game run without a win followed by a 7+ win and a draw out of 9.

Our current form is very good and we are playing very well (and sensibly) and of course we can't keep on winning in this vein, I just don't want the lows to be so extreme and if we need to trade that for the highs not being so acute, then so be it.

So we should expect title-winning form?
Expect what you want...but anyone trying to infer that this season's start can be directly compared to the first season in the top flight (as players bedded in) seems to me to be fatuous.

They're big in Sunderland.

Stupid ****er. I meant big in what was Sunderland before they moved the borders to become a city. They even stole a waste tip off Gatesheed to be part of their City.

Don't forget we went higher under Taylor than we ever had under MON and that didn't have a happy ending!

Not that I am in the anti-CR camp, I like the guy and really impressed with what he's done so far and I think we are the real deal - but just a thought I had earlier about the last time we were top.

Yes, I wondered if we're witnessing a "Taylor Trajectory" start to the season, good reason to be optimistic that this isn't the case. Ranieri isn't out of his depth as Taylor was, his legacy from NP looks wholly beneficial at the moment - the complete lack of Junior Lewis-type henchmen (Carl Cort for e.g.) coming in has been a very pleasant surprise for me. Unless NP turns up as manager at Sunderland before Xmas, the "King Across the Water" scenario and disgruntled senior pros which destabilised Taylor and the team so disastrously - also absent.

Best of all, after two rounds of matches, virtually every PL team looks vulnerable to the "simple" tactic of attacking in numbers and at pace, with wingers running directly at (or past) defenders - and we seem to be the best exponents of that, at the moment.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670
8Middlesbro4669