Ranieri

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes, I wondered if we're witnessing a "Taylor Trajectory" start to the season, good reason to be optimistic that this isn't the case. Ranieri isn't out of his depth as Taylor was, his legacy from NP looks wholly beneficial at the moment - the complete lack of Junior Lewis-type henchmen (Carl Cort for e.g.) coming in has been a very pleasant surprise for me. Unless NP turns up as manager at Sunderland before Xmas, the "King Across the Water" scenario and disgruntled senior pros which destabilised Taylor and the team so disastrously - also absent.

Best of all, after two rounds of matches, virtually every PL team looks vulnerable to the "simple" tactic of attacking in numbers and at pace, with wingers running directly at (or past) defenders - and we seem to be the best exponents of that, at the moment.

I agree with all of that.

Isn't it also very refreshing to have a scouting network and recruitment policy that seems to mirror what positions and the types of players that are needed to plug gaps.

I've really lost count of the number of managers we have had who recruit badly and for positions that we seem to have ample cover for while continuing to play players out of position week in, week out that are overlooked in their natural position?

Even the mighty NP was guilty of that in the Championship I recall.

All looking a bit too good for my liking. We need a La Manga...:(

Recruitment policy seems more realistic than last year; selection and use of substitutes seems more focussed; Ranieri has more tactical experience to draw on and more back-up support too.

This is not to say that he is better nor worse than Pearson. They are very different. Pearson ultimately produced amazing results both in terms of the promotion season and the escape from relegation last season. Doubt if such results could be produced without the manager having special qualities.

My gut feeling is that in terms of trying to take the club to the next level that Ranieri is the better bet. But we shall know better when he has to deal with a run of adverse results.

In terms of a realistic target for this season- 17th and above is just fine. It would be brilliant if we could achieve over 42 points but that is asking a lot. I think supporters will be ok with 17th but probably want to see better next season if not this.

An issue that will surely arise if we are doing astonishingly well - as we have done since April is that the top clubs will try to pick off our best players. Let's hope that the Thai economy is resilient enough to withstand the current difficulties there.

An issue that will surely arise if we are doing astonishingly well - as we have done since April is that the top clubs will try to pick off our best players. Let's hope that the Thai economy is resilient enough to withstand the current difficulties there.

Indeed, although it would obviously be a very good problem to have.

Southampton are the benchmark in this regard - they managed the loss of several players last season excellently (Shaw, Lallana, Lambert, etc), although are struggling a little this year (as Schneiderlein was a big loss for them, although they've got a number of injuries as well).

I think what the Saints did so well was recruitment, which is also where we appear to be very strong at the moment. We need to maintain these high standards, which from all of the communications from the club, it appears that our owners have every intention of doing.

Southampton are the benchmark in this regard - they managed the loss of several players last season excellently (Shaw, Lallana, Lambert, etc), although are struggling a little this year (as Schneiderlein was a big loss for them, although they've got a number of injuries as well).

I think what the Saints did so well was recruitment, which is also where we appear to be very strong at the moment. We need to maintain these high standards, which from all of the communications from the club, it appears that our owners have every intention of doing.

The secret is not just about selling your best players, but doing so for huge amounts of money that has been value added by the club, that allows you then to strengthen across the team.

We paid approx £300,000 for Mahrez. If he continues to perform the way he is now and Manchester City or Chelsea coming knocking on the door in January with £30million, then I say sell him. That buys you two or three more brilliant players. Well maybe not January, because there may not be any more brilliant players left then, but certainly next summer.

33-1 has been on offer for Southampton to be relegated this season. Worth a punt on this outside chance? It was pretty amazing how they coped with the loss of so many key players last season. But factor in the injuries which you mention and they may well continue to struggle this season. Ultimately there is likely to be a big price to pay for losing so much talent. I doubt if any club has an adequate conveyor belt of emerging talent to be able to continue to make progress in these circumstances.

Certainly those odds will tumble if they have a bad patch, and put you into a good trading position. I'd lump on.

33-1 has been on offer for Southampton to be relegated this season. Worth a punt on this outside chance? It was pretty amazing how they coped with the loss of so many key players last season. But factor in the injuries which you mention and they may well continue to struggle this season. Ultimately there is likely to be a big price to pay for losing so much talent. I doubt if any club has an adequate conveyor belt of emerging talent to be able to continue to make progress in these circumstances.
Indeed.

Also with the additional strains of European football, as shown by Everton last year (and Spurs in previous years). It's a bizarre conundrum where European football for teams without the required squad depth/resources typically means success one season at the detriment to the next.

I was concerned when Pearson was sacked... and a little concerned when Ranieri was appointed. I'm ignoring our 6-points-from-two-games start. But it can't be denied that we have stepped up a grade over the summer. This latest signing (and the others over the summer) shows that we can attract and afford a different kind of player to the club. I had similar hopes in Sven's reign but the money we spent then was largely wasted; only Schmeichel and Nugent turned out to be any kind of useful servant to the club (though his 'conversion' of Schlupp has also proved more then useful.

Long live Ranieri!

I was concerned when Pearson was sacked... and a little concerned when Ranieri was appointed. I'm ignoring our 6-points-from-two-games start. But it can't be denied that we have stepped up a grade over the summer. This latest signing (and the others over the summer) shows that we can attract and afford a different kind of player to the club. I had similar hopes in Sven's reign but the money we spent then was largely wasted; only Schmeichel and Nugent turned out to be any kind of useful servant to the club (though his 'conversion' of Schlupp has also proved more then useful.

Long live Ranieri!
I'd argue Cambiasso was as big a coup as Inler

I won't argue with that - but he was just one signing; this time we have several.

Are any of the six signings Ranieri ones, or were they all in the pipeline before he arrived?

Completely, for different reasons. Cambiasso was a great signing because we weren't really at that level yet - I think Inler serves as much more of a statement of intent so probably reflects more progress than Cambi.

Are any of the six signings Ranieri ones, or were they all in the pipeline before he arrived?

A good question, indeed. But I can't help feeling that having Ranieri in charge would make us more attractive to them.

Completely, for different reasons. Cambiasso was a great signing because we weren't really at that level yet - I think Inler serves as much more of a statement of intent so probably reflects more progress than Cambi.

..and undoubtedly a progression in which Cambiasso led the way.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670
8Middlesbro4669