Ranieri's Replacement?

Status
Not open for further replies.
It wouldn't surprise me in the slightest if it's NP. He was not involved in the racist incident in Thailand, he was sacked on account of being stubborn after his son got the boot. I'd say he likely regrets what happened and it's quite likely that circumstances have changed in regards to a potential relationship with the owners. I'd wager he is still largely loved by most of the players and staff at the club. If we go down I think he'd be a good man to have in charge next season.

Can't see Hiddink coming here, if reports are true we approached him after Pearson was sacked last time and he turned it down. We're largely in the same position this time, except a bit wealthier with a bigger squad but he has no time to put his own stamp on the squad whereas the squad is already largely what Pearson built.

It won't be NP.

For footballing reasons alone, he doesn't have enough experience or proven ability at this level to be someone you'd turn to in a situation like this. That's why no other premier league struggler has gone for him since he lost his job here.

His Derby disaster also works against him for obvious reasons. You can't take a club who had picked up 14 points in 7 games before you arrived, and who have been one of the division's form teams since you left, dump them straight into the relegation zone and then get sacked for punching the owner in the face and expect your reputation to be unharmed. If he wasn't fit for premier league clubs before that debacle, he certainly isn't now.

Literally the only reason he is even being linked is because he managed us before. But with the way that ended even if he was the best manager available, I don't think he'd be coming back.

Last edited:
The owners care about money more than honour. Having said that I don't think NP is coming back.

I think they care more about the football club being in the best position it can be to be honest. Don't we all want that? Isn't that why we cheer when we score goals and win games?

It won't be NP.

For footballing reasons alone, he doesn't have enough experience or proven ability at this level to be someone you'd turn to in a situation like this. That's why no other premier league struggler has gone for him since he lost his job here.

His Derby disaster also works against him for obvious reasons. You can't take a club who had picked up 14 points in 7 games before you arrived, and who have been one of the division's form teams since you left, dump them straight into the relegation zone and then get sacked for punching the owner in the face and expect your reputation to be unharmed. If he wasn't fit for premier league clubs before that debacle, he certainly is now.

Literally the only reason he is even being linked is because he managed us before. But with the way that ended even if he was the best manager available, I don't think he'd be coming back.
Did he punch the owner?

Apparently that's what he was ultimately sacked for at derby, yes. But he was on borrowed time anyway, the players didn't like him and their form was absolutely abysmal.
The monks love him though...

IMG_2725.JPG

It won't be NP.

His Derby disaster also works against him for obvious reasons. You can't take a club who had picked up 14 points in 7 games before you arrived, and who have been one of the division's form teams since you left, dump them straight into the relegation zone and then get sacked for punching the owner in the face and expect your reputation to be unharmed. If he wasn't fit for premier league clubs before that debacle, he certainly isn't now.

Why couldn't you have put the bit about him punching the Derby owner in the face at the beginning?

Then I wouldn't have had to waste a minute of my time reading up until that point.

We need a winner. Bottom Line. Someone who can win games and boost morale.

The next appointment will show what the owners are thinking about in terms of our future. I for one don't think they'll be looking to hire a manager who can get us out of the Championship. Our Owners are winners! They'll be looking for someone who can push the club forward. Retain status in the PL and push forward.

For the above reasons I don't think they'll be looking at Nigel Pearson. I am a huge Pearson fan. I don't think he's lost without Walsh like others suggest - which is just a bit barmy. I think if he came in he might save us. But FWIW I don't think he could push on next season the way we'd want to (i.e., not be in a another relegation battle).

In the owners I trust.

Also I don't get all the negativity towards Nigel Pearson?

- He won League 1 with us - probably one of the most important seasons we've had in our history. Imagine if we'd stayed in League 1. It was imperative that we returned immediately.
- He won the Championship with us.
- He retained our Premier League status in our first season back in over 10 years.

For some to suggest he isn't good enough to manage in the PL, he did what he was asked of in his first season.

Why couldn't you have put the bit about him punching the Derby owner in the face at the beginning?

Then I wouldn't have had to waste a minute of my time reading up until that point.

I'm only repeating what has been reported in the press. If you were there and have a different take on what happened that day at Derby's training ground then I'm all ears.

Not that it makes any difference. Regardless of Pearson's personality quirks he hasn't shown enough as a manager to get the Leicester job at this moment in time.

- He won League 1 with us - probably one of the most important seasons we've had in our history. Imagine if we'd stayed in League 1. It was imperative that we returned immediately.
- He retained our Premier League status in our first season back in over 10 years.

For some to suggest he isn't good enough to manage in the PL, he did what he was asked of in his first season.

He did a brilliant job for us in league one and the championship, no doubt about that. But it think it's fair to say he found the step up tactically in the premier league difficult to get to grips with. He did eventually stumble on a formation that worked, but that was more a case of him trying absolutely everything until something finally worked rather than him being able to figure out what was wrong and come up with a bespoke solution. I also think we got lucky with the fixtures in the run in that year because the majority of those games were against mid table teams with nothing left to play for.

That isn't negativity towards Pearson, it's just a rational assessment of his tenure. He didn't do enough to earn himself another shot with a premier league club, the evidence of that is the fact that no other premier league club has given him another shot.

For the record, I really like NP. Think he did a very good job indeed. His teams did from time to time go missing for half a season, and he is wired into the moon, but he enjoyed many successes here.

For all of that though I still don't want him back. He is a terrible ambassador of any brand.

But that nasty man created such a great team spirit that ended up being so harmful.

Plus he had a rant occasionally.

Because of this, I'd rather have Hodgson or Pardew.

I'm only repeating what has been reported in the press. If you were there and have a different take on what happened that day at Derby's training ground then I'm all ears.

I suggest you take your unfounded, slanderous views elsewhere.

I hope, although, it is looking more and more of a forlorn hope by the day, that the board had a plan prior to sacking Claudio. This will be a crucial appointment; not just in terms of staying in the Premier League, but as a statement as to where our owners see us in the long term. A big name says that we are looking to be a member of the high tier group; Nigel Pearson, Gary Rowett, etc. says we are content to be a team that bounces Prem to Championship.

If the latter type of manager was to have been in the owners' minds, Claudio should have been 'promoted' to General Manager, or whatever they wished to call it.

Finally - on a personal note - despite having said on this board, that I thought it was time for a change, I cried when Claudio left but, that will be nothing to the tears were Nigel Pearson to return!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670
8Middlesbro4669