Reid, Royle or Souness

Status
Not open for further replies.

nikko

According to the Mercury today these 3 have all been interviewd and Milan is set to pick between them!

The story:

Trio in talks with City

by Bill Anderson

Joe Royle, Peter Reid and Graeme Souness have been interviewed for the Leicester City manager's job.

All three are currently out of football having left their previous clubs Ipswich, Coventry and Newcastle respectively.

Reid, 51, Souness, 54, and Royle, 58, are among the most experienced managers in the game. City chairman Milan Mandaric is set to move on a new boss this week because he does not want to write off promotion hopes this season.

The 1-1 draw at Colchester on Saturday means City are hovering just below the halfway point in the Championship table with a game in hand.

Mandaric is not losing sight of his target of City being around the play-offs, despite the traumatic events of the season with two managers leaving.

Before Saturday's game at Colchester, the City chairman hinted that, if the caretaker team of Frank Burrows and Gerry Taggart continued to steady the ship and pick up some wins, it would buy him time regarding the new manager.

But he was clearly disappointed that another lead slipped away at Layer Road in a game that was there for the taking.

That brought a return of Mandaric's impatience and concern that the season could be wasted.

And he is now unlikely to let things ride much longer.

Mandaric held interviews last week with Royle, Souness and Reid. They were all linked with the job through speculation, as were current bosses Iain Dowie, of Coventry, and Plymouth's Iain Holloway.

But Mandaric said: “At this moment, there is no one guy who I favour.

“But right now the table is wide open and I am not giving up on my ambition to be involved in the promotion challenge. I was disappointed with Saturday's game because I thought we should have won it, and that would have taken us closer to where I want us to be. I don't want to lose many more points.”

Considering what the squad have been going through - injuries as well as managerial changes - the last two league games have yielded four points, a fairly healthy return.

Indeed, Burrows said after the Colchester game: “If you had asked me last Friday (before the Barnsley win) about the week ahead and the week we had just had, with the manager going, I would have settled for four points. But we matched them and might have nicked it.”

*Midfielder James Wesolowski and striker Iain Hume both look doubtful for tomorrow's trip to Preston.

I'd be happy with any one of them three, I expect to be in the minority though.

who would you like to see here..realistically

None of the above, especially not Royle or Reid. Out of the names mentioned in the press I would go all out for Jewell, although I suspect some people would calss this as unrealistic - I am not sure why though. However if he absolutley wouldnt come here for all the tea in China then Gary Johnson

Last edited:
None of the above, especially not Royle or Reid. Out of the names mentioned in the press I would go all out for Jewell, although I suspect some people would calss this as unrealistic - I am not sure why though. However if he absolutley wouldnt come here for all the tea in China then Dave Penney please.

id like jewell but i think he might be holding out for a prem job and as for penney not sure if he is an mm-type appointment but he has done a good job both at donny rovers and at darlo and i doubt he would walk out after 6wks :102::)

None of the above, especially not Royle or Reid. Out of the names mentioned in the press I would go all out for Jewell, although I suspect some people would calss this as unrealistic - I am not sure why though. However if he absolutley wouldnt come here for all the tea in China then Gary Johnson

make yer fecking mind up 1 minute its dave penney now its johnson :icon_roll:) dont think he would leave bc

id like jewell but i think he might be holding out for a prem job and as for penney not sure if he is an mm-type appointment but he has done a good job both at donny rovers and at darlo and i doubt he would walk out after 6wks :102::)

Sorry have no idea why I typed Dave Penney, I meant Gary Johnson. I was distracted whilst posting.

According to the Mercury today these 3 have all been interviewd and Milan is set to pick between them!

I thought it just said those 3 had been interviewed last week.
Where did it say he was going to pick one of those three rather than inteview someone else this week?

from the Leicester Mercury article;
"But he (MM) was clearly disappointed that another lead slipped away at Layer Road in a game that was there for the taking.
That brought a return of Mandaric's impatience and concern that the season could be wasted."

Is it me, I find those two sentences as worrying as anything that I have read this season. Are we really to believe, that MM's mind is swayed so easily? If we were to win well at Preston, would he change his mind again - and what happens if a new manager comes and loses his first match?
I seriously hope this is just Mr. Anderson filling his column!

:bang:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4597
2Ipswich4593
3Leeds Utd4590
4Southampton4584
5Norwich City4573
6West Brom4572
7Hull City4570