Richard Stearman Leaving?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spanky Fox

Aston Villa manager Martin O'Neill is preparing to offer former club Leicester £1m for 20-year-old defender Richard Stearman. (Star)

Re: Richard Stearman Leaving

Would no doubt please the masses. Maybe we can agree a deal which includes Sorenson or Taylor, would solve the keeper issue and prove to Sunderland we won't be held to ransom :102:

In my fleeting appearances watching City - I was willing to give him a chance after seeing the odd decent performance lately but Tuesday he was gash. 1 million is 'tearing arm off district'.

i have not seen enough games this year to fully appreciate the bad press he has been getting, but my gut feeling is Stearman is a decent player who has suffered under different managers and a different team structures. Like Fryatt (a player we nearly sold under Allen to make a quick make way for utter shiate), I think he's the type of player who we need to keep as he will cope at premiership level if we ever get there...

I would be reluctant to lose Stearman but, we are not short of right backs, and if we could prise Taylor from Villa, then the deal could be of mutual advantage.

a million pounds is a million times whats he's worth!!!

2 good games doesn't make up for 2 shite seasons.......

SELL, SELL, SELL!!!

Do you honestly think Martin O’neill is stupid enough to take a £1m punt on that gormless cretin? I think not

I don't believe the story but if it's true - snap his hand off. I think James Chambers is far better as Stearman hasn't been great for a very long time. He's our longest serving player at aged 20...

Do you honestly think Martin O’neill is stupid enough to take a £1m punt on that gormless cretin? I think not

Erm yes !!! What you ever you say about Stearman, he has potential and masses of it. The only reason he has gone off the boil is because of the lack of discipline that has been evident since the day Levein left the club.

Stearman is just the type of player that MON thrives on signing, a player with potential and ability who has lost their way. Would be a good move for all concerned and it would not surprise me to see Stearman go onto have a very good career under O'Neill's guidance.

Short termism vs potential.

Chambers isn't, and won't ever be, premiership class, Stearman isn't but has the potential to be and under IH appears to be getting the support/kick up the arse he needs.

So assuming we are building towards getting in the Prem, do we sell one of our players that could be good enough, to raise a quick £1million, only to get there and have to pay £2-3million for a defender of premiership quality.

I thought MM's millions and the huge advantage of the bloke was that we don't need to sell our players to allow us to bring in new ones.

I'm sure I'm in the minority, but I'd see it as a step back if we sold Stearman for anything other than silly money (£2million +) in our current state.

Last edited:

Chambers isn't, and won't ever be, premiership class, Stearman isn't but has the potential to be and under IH appears to be getting the support/kick up the arse he needs.

So assuming we are building towards getting in the Prem, do we sell one of our players that could be good enough, to raise a quick £1million, only to get there and have to pay £2-3million for a defender of premiership quality.

I thought MM's millions and the huge advantage of the bloke was that we don't need to sell our players to allow us to bring in new ones.

I'm sure I'm in the minority, but I'd see it as a step back if we sold Stearman for anything other than silly money (£2million +) in our current state.

:038:

I'd agree with that

Erm yes !!! What you ever you say about Stearman, he has potential and masses of it. The only reason he has gone off the boil is because of the lack of discipline that has been evident since the day Levein left the club.

Stearman is just the type of player that MON thrives on signing, a player with potential and ability who has lost their way. Would be a good move for all concerned and it would not surprise me to see Stearman go onto have a very good career under O'Neill's guidance.

You are joking, right..????

so we are going to offer villa 1 million to take richard stearman off us. sounds like a good deal.

i have not seen enough games this year to fully appreciate the bad press he has been getting, but my gut feeling is Stearman is a decent player who has suffered under different managers and a different team structures. Like Fryatt (a player we nearly sold under Allen to make a quick make way for utter shiate), I think he's the type of player who we need to keep as he will cope at premiership level if we ever get there...

I have, but I still don't understand why he has got the brunt of bad feeling from the City fans. That's not to say he has been superb at all, but compared to some of his lazy, uncommitted teammates, it seems pretty unfair that he gets most of the abuse.

At least with RS you get a player who won't shirk tackles, who'll challenge for balls in the air and who'll put the effort in to get forward and support. He's not a central midfielder or even a right sided midfielder so to judge him on performances where he has played in these positions and admittedly given the ball away too easily is unfair IMO. Yes, he's had some bad games this season (and last when he was 19, and the one before when he was 18), but who hasn't? At least he works hard to try and rectify his mistakes.

Bags of potential IMO.

What a tricky one this is. I think we are mostly aware that RS has the potential to be a very good player.

We are also aware that he's been consistently awful for us over the last couple of seasons. He also has a face and that you just want to punch and an attitude that you want to kick out of him with his over blown delusions of 'Porshe style' grandeur. The drunken tosspot.

We also know that if he went to work for MON, within weeks he'd be touted for the England squad. He'd suddenly be consistently brilliant, be worth £10m and we'd all hate him even more.

Maybe the only realistic answer to this quandry is to kill him?

I have, but I still don't understand why he has got the brunt of bad feeling from the City fans. That's not to say he has been superb at all, but compared to some of his lazy, uncommitted teammates, it seems pretty unfair that he gets most of the abuse.

At least with RS you get a player who won't shirk tackles, who'll challenge for balls in the air and who'll put the effort in to get forward and support. He's not a central midfielder or even a right sided midfielder so to judge him on performances where he has played in these positions and admittedly given the ball away too easily is unfair IMO. Yes, he's had some bad games this season (and last when he was 19, and the one before when he was 18), but who hasn't? At least he works hard to try and rectify his mistakes.

Bags of potential IMO.

For anyone not reading between the lines, he's still only 20 years of age!

The fact he started playing for the first team at age 17 has been his downfall. When people hear the term 'potential' they think it'll only be a couple of years before he's the best in the country. Give him a few more seasons and he'll be twice the player he is now.

I would also expect the same things to be said about chambers, wesolowski, king etc in a couple of seasons when they aren't tearing teams apart. Just like Jordan Stewart.

For anyone not reading between the lines, he's still only 20 years of age!

The fact he started playing for the first team at age 17 has been his downfall. When people hear the term 'potential' they think it'll only be a couple of years before he's the best in the country. Give him a few more seasons and he'll be twice the player he is now.

I would also expect the same things to be said about chambers, wesolowski, king etc in a couple of seasons when they aren't tearing teams apart. Just like Jordan Stewart.

you have hit the nail on the head!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670