RIP Thatcher

Status
Not open for further replies.
I might ask for some time off work to watch the funeral. They don't need to know that I'll be laughing all the way through.

You know what the other good thing about the old bitch dying is? I don't have to feel bad for the ones she has left behind, because they're utter ***** too. What a brilliant day. One bastard dead and a load of others distraught because of it.

Might make Maggie the subject of my pre-sleep wank tonight. Not decided on alive or dead. Fitting send off either way, I reckon.
but you were 7 when she left downing street ffs, have a word

but you were 7 when she left downing street ffs, have a word
That logic only works if you believe the consequences of political decisions are wiped out once someone leaves power.

What a brilliant day. One bastard dead and a load of others distraught because of it.

I don't actually see anybody distraught over her death. All the upset and agitation seems to be affecting only those who say they are glad to see her go.

I give her credit for being a conviction politician, of whom there are very few. Trouble is, her conviction was utterly misguided. She also exposed the inadequacy of our political system, by having the ability to single-handedly divide and destroy communities. Millions suffered, and continue to suffer, as a direct result of her ideology. The banking crisis is another responsibility that I lay at her door. It was a system of her creation. Credit and spending was the currency of her economic methodology. The consequences of which will haunt our country for many years to come.

The destruction of union oppressed industries was the responsibility of Scargill and his cronies, whose own conviction did more to destroy the livelihoods of those they professed to represent, than Thatcher ever did. Her approach to this was vile but inevitable.

Her determination and beligerence were at times admirable. Such as in the aftermath of the Brighton bombing and her determination not to be deterred from arriving at her party's conference at 9.30 the following morning. However, much more often, these attributes led to pathetic nannying and condescension that created anger and hatred from colleagues as well as enemies. She was eventually butchered by 'her own' directly in revenge.

I will neither shed a tear or raise a glass to her demise. But despite everything, I probably have more respect for her than the likes of that limp-dicked, plastic twat we have in charge now.

As Bob quite rightly points out those of us with perspective can see the good she did along with the bad.

As you rightly say at least she should be applauded for strong leadership, something that has been sadly lacking for over 20 years.

I am certainly not wailing at her death I just take no pleasure from it or indeed anyone else's death bar virtually none.

Last edited:
Makes me laugh all these folks hating Thatcher but not really knowing why:icon_roll

As Bob quite rightly points out those of us with perspective can see the good she did along with the bad.

As you rightly say at least she should be applauded for strong leadership, something that has been sadly lacking for over 20 years.

I am certainly not wailing at her death I just take no pleasure from it or indeed anyone else's death bar virtually none.

Strong leadership = merit and applause? What about strong leaders who are misguided? What about strong leaders who are destroy rather than build? Was Mussolini not a strong leader? I'm not comparing the two of course, Mussolini made the trains run on time at least...

People can only see good if there is good to see.

f*ck me, a fairly balanced bbc political piece, i'm astonished

And the best bit on there.....

"Her bold free market reforms and curbs on union power - that caused so much controversy in the 1980s - are now accepted as conventional wisdom by all mainstream British political parties. "

Oddly, since she was famously never seen on a train, the railways during her premiership were run well, split into business units like InterCity and Railfreight, enabling subsidies to remain at a sensible level and for the first time in a generation moderate investment put in. Like so much of the froth and fury in the last 24 hours, the myth tends to obscure the more boring achievement.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670
8Middlesbro4669