RIP Thatcher

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think she wanted to close down the railways and build roads in their place.
I think the truth is she had no interest in the railways. There were some fruitcakes on the periphary who had the mad ideas you refer to, but they were not taken seriously.

I think the truth is she had no interest in the railways. There were some fruitcakes on the periphary who had the mad ideas you refer to, but they were not taken seriously.

What did she think about HS2?

Does this mean she can't replace Pearson?

Nothing wrong with being aspirational.

Subsidising the sale of council houses and not providing the funding to replace them has led to the situation we have today, with young people struggling to afford somewhere to live. It was typical of the Thatcher years though, selling off as much as possible, and leaving future generations with nothing.

Nothing wrong with being aspirational.

Actually, there's a lot wrong with it if it leads to all of the social housing stock being sold off never to be replaced and if it leads to an absurd property bubble which collapses the global economy.
Thank **** none of that happened then, eh?

if it leads to an absurd property bubble which collapses the global economy.

I'm pretty sure that even you don't believe the worst recession in living memory is solely due to an over-inflated property market.

So, you can see the bad she did now then? It seemed to be escaping you yesterday

It didn't escape me yesterday, it hasn't escaped me today and it won't tomorrow. I just don't relish in her death as some on here have.

It didn't escape me yesterday, it hasn't escaped me today and it won't tomorrow. I just don't relish in her death as some on here have.

You know the saddest thing? There are more posts in the 'Post Thatcher' thread than in the 'Post Brighton vs LCFC' thread!

I'm pretty sure that even you don't believe the worst recession in living memory is solely due to an over-inflated property market.

Of course it's not "solely due", I didn't say that it was, but it was the main driver behind all of the madness and has lead us to where we are now.

What exactly was wrong with defending the Falklands when the Argentine dictatorship invaded?

Exactly.

What on earth would be the consequences of washing our hands of it just because it was on the other side of the world? The people are British and we had a duty to protect them.

You know the saddest thing? There are more posts in the 'Post Thatcher' thread than in the 'Post Brighton vs LCFC' thread!
Yeah, the death of a former Prime Minister of the United Kingdom getting talked about more than a forgettable draw between promotion chasers. Imagine that.

Strong leadership = merit and applause? What about strong leaders who are misguided? What about strong leaders who are destroy rather than build? Was Mussolini not a strong leader? I'm not comparing the two of course, Mussolini made the trains run on time at least....

You just did.

People can only see good if there is good to see.

And not the vice-versa of course?

The destruction of the trade unions was a good thing, albeit done with little choice and done hard?

Weren't the 70's a period in our history of the 3 and 4 day week, strikes at the drop of a hat and the unions ruling this country with ridiculous demands on our country?

Bins not emptied for weeks, schools closed due to NUT strikes, NUM on strike seemingly more time than when they were actually working? Maybe i should live in your bubble world?

Last edited:
What exactly was wrong with defending the Falklands when the Argentine dictatorship invaded?

It was a cynical attempt to bolster her flagging premiership ahead of an election, she didn't give a flying **** about the islands or the people living there, and resulted in a lot of unnecessary deaths and war crimes being committed. Just off the top of my head, like.

Yeah, the death of a former Prime Minister of the United Kingdom getting talked about more than a forgettable draw between promotion chasers. Imagine that.

Within the confines of a football, specifically Leicester City, forum. All about context really!

It was a cynical attempt to bolster her flagging premiership ahead of an election, she didn't give a flying **** about the islands or the people living there, and resulted in a lot of unnecessary deaths and war crimes being committed. Just off the top of my head, like.
As much as we hate it, sometimes conflict is necessary. The alternative would have been to allow the Argentine government to annex the islands. That would have been a dangerous message to send out to the world.

I love how the list of similar threads below are all about Ben Thatcher. Thatcher for England! Who is Jedi?

The alternative would have been to allow the Argentine government to annex the islands. That would have been a dangerous message to send out to the world.

What message would it send and in what way would it be dangerous and who would it be dangerous to?

What message would it send and in what way would it be dangerous and who would it be dangerous to?
It would have been a clear signal to anyone so inclined that invading British territory would invite no repercussions. I'm sure you can see why that's dangerous.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670
8Middlesbro4669