Rodgers future...

Status
Not open for further replies.
You can see it when he plays there is no effort to track back, he gives up when he loses the ball, he still can not stop shooting at the centre of the goal, that is either poor application or lack of ability I would argue it is poor application.
He has got everything strength, power,speed yet he still struggles to control the ball looks like he does not understand where to be positionally and most importantly hides behind players to avoid responsibility, just look at the goal that Chelsea scored against us. Chillwell was yelling at him he went hiding when he should have been doing the dirty work of tracking back and closing down attackers!

That's very harsh on Barnes. I'm not suggesting that he's the finished article by any means but he's come on a lot this season and cannot be compared to the likes of Gray in terms of impact and application.

A few stats. Barnes has featured in 34 of our 36 league games this season. Only Schmeichel, Evans and Tielemans have been in more than that. This alone signifies his growth in stature this season. This is his first year as a proper first team player.

Barnes gets an assist evey 249 mins in the PL (8 in 1994 mins). In comparison, Mahrez has one every 208 mins (9 in 1873 mins). That's really strong considering his age and the fact that he's still a work in progress. One more comparison, Grealish has one every 509 mins for Villa.

Barnes is our third top scorer with 6. Of the regular players, only Maddison has more key passes per 90 mins. That's excellent considering he doesn't take set pieces.

Did you ever stop to think maybe Barnes doesn’t track back so much because he’s been told to? It’s a plan to enable him to save energy to attack better and be in position to receive the ball once we win it back

That's very harsh on Barnes. I'm not suggesting that he's the finished article by any means but he's come on a lot this season and cannot be compared to the likes of Gray in terms of impact and application.

A few stats. Barnes has featured in 34 of our 36 league games this season. Only Schmeichel, Evans and Tielemans have been in more than that. This alone signifies his growth in stature this season. This is his first year as a proper first team player.

Barnes gets an assist evey 249 mins in the PL (8 in 1994 mins). In comparison, Mahrez has one every 208 mins (9 in 1873 mins). That's really strong considering his age and the fact that he's still a work in progress. One more comparison, Grealish has one every 509 mins for Villa.

Barnes is our third top scorer with 6. Of the regular players, only Maddison has more key passes per 90 mins. That's excellent considering he doesn't take set pieces.

Yep. He really could become a very special player if he can develop his finishing.

Did you ever stop to think maybe Barnes doesn’t track back so much because he’s been told to? It’s a plan to enable him to save energy to attack better and be in position to receive the ball once we win it back
No I understand that is the trade off BR has gone with it is risk versus reward, the issue has been that since January every team has exploited it and imo and it is my opinion the reason why we have suffered relegation form. the result of both Perez and Barnes not tracking back ( BR has played both for the vast majority of the season) has left our central midfiled and left and right back vulnerable and exposed.
Barnes is breathtaking going forward and can do many great things if he could add what I have previously mentioned he could go on to dominate te Prem for years to come, I am not slating him as a person I would like to see more from the weaker side of his game because he is undoubtedly talented.

BN Iagree he has performed far better than Gray and I understand he is not the finished article, I just do not see the grit and drive that seperates really good players from average ones, the likes of Rooney, Messi, Ronaldo etc all of them hated losing the ball and would sprint 40 yards to get it back, they would also graft on behalf of the team.
If he worked on his finishing he would be in double figures this season I am convinced of it, so it is either a lack of ability or application.

No I understand that is the trade off BR has gone with it is risk versus reward, the issue has been that since January every team has exploited it and imo and it is my opinion the reason why we have suffered relegation form. the result of both Perez and Barnes not tracking back ( BR has played both for the vast majority of the season) has left our central midfiled and left and right back vulnerable and exposed.
Barnes is breathtaking going forward and can do many great things if he could add what I have previously mentioned he could go on to dominate te Prem for years to come, I am not slating him as a person I would like to see more from the weaker side of his game because he is undoubtedly talented.
You literally slated him as a person when you said he lacked the desire to reach the top.

BN Iagree he has performed far better than Gray and I understand he is not the finished article, I just do not see the grit and drive that seperates really good players from average ones, the likes of Rooney, Messi, Ronaldo etc all of them hated losing the ball and would sprint 40 yards to get it back, they would also graft on behalf of the team.
If he worked on his finishing he would be in double figures this season I am convinced of it, so it is either a lack of ability or application.
Or, and this may be an insane idea, but it's part of his progress and the fact it's his first full Premier League season? Crazy.

Can I just confirm that someone on this forum is saying we should get rid of Barnes because he’s not Messi or Ronaldo?

sweet holy jebus
Since when I did state that? Seriously where the hell did I state that! I was making a comparison between an average top flight professional player and someone that makes to be world class they do it through talent and sheer hard work!

You literally slated him as a person when you said he lacked the desire to reach the top.
"I am not slating him as a person I would like to see more from the weaker side of his game because he is undoubtedly talented."

That is not slating him as a person it is casting aspersations work ethos, just because I think someone does not work as hard as I think they should, does not mean I think they as a person are bad, mentioning that a person may have flaws (which we all have) is not slating someone.

Barnes when he's having a good day is a cracking player. Unfortunately if he ****s anything up that's him done for the rest of the game. Maybe a cuddle or something would help.

Bring back Huuuuummmmmmeeee.

That Cantwell runs about a bit?
Cantwell seems to have some talent too, when I have watched him he seems to create quite a bit, but the other players mess up those chances. I would like to see him in a better team.

Can I just confirm that someone on this forum is saying we should get rid of Barnes because he’s not Messi or Ronaldo?

sweet holy jebus
I would consider him more a Gareth Bale type. If Harvey Barnes can get more belief and confidence in himself, I believe he has the potential to be really special.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670
8Middlesbro4669