Rodgers future...

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think he is in trouble.

This isn't me offering my opinion on whether or not he SHOULD be bagged but if you look at our fixtures ul until the end of the year, we could feasibly lose the games to UTD, Spurs and Everton. If we drop any points to Sheffield, Brighton or Palace we could realistically find ourselves around mid table.

This calendar year we have won 17 out of 42 games, that 40%. That's not good enough by any stretch but his saving grace through all of that is we were always in a strong position in the league (in the EL now too).
If that league position falls, he has nothing to hide behind and like I said, I think he's in trouble.

Personally, I'm caught in two minds. On one hand I think we should play the long game and see what he can do over a longer period of time. He's clearly a class manager who I believe can lead us to trophies but in the other I find him staggeringly arrogant and feel he would put a result at risk to try and prove he is the smartest guy in the room.
I dont like how he shirks responsibility for poor results and I think the brand of football we are playing at the moment is particularly dull.

I think Rodgers is a decent manager, who probably over thinks things, but I question his ability as a leader.

IMO what elevates the best managers is the ability to get 100% out of the team in every game, to motivate everyone in every game and instill in them the ambition to go beyond their comfort zone.

IMO Ranieri had this in 15/16 but I am not convinced Rodgers has.

I just wish he had Mourinho's attitude and not be reluctant to tell the players, also via the media, just what he thinks of them.

I think he is in trouble.

This isn't me offering my opinion on whether or not he SHOULD be bagged but if you look at our fixtures ul until the end of the year, we could feasibly lose the games to UTD, Spurs and Everton. If we drop any points to Sheffield, Brighton or Palace we could realistically find ourselves around mid table.

This calendar year we have won 17 out of 42 games, that 40%. That's not good enough by any stretch but his saving grace through all of that is we were always in a strong position in the league (in the EL now too).
If that league position falls, he has nothing to hide behind and like I said, I think he's in trouble.

Personally, I'm caught in two minds. On one hand I think we should play the long game and see what he can do over a longer period of time. He's clearly a class manager who I believe can lead us to trophies but in the other I find him staggeringly arrogant and feel he would put a result at risk to try and prove he is the smartest guy in the room.
I dont like how he shirks responsibility for poor results and I think the brand of football we are playing at the moment is particularly dull.
I don’t mean to be pedantic, and I do see what you are saying to an extent; I just don’t agree that he is “clearly a class manager”. Where and when has he proved that?

That is perhaps the trait in JM that I dislike most. I think it undermines team spirit.
In the long term, yes. But in the short term he’s pretty damn successful with that attitude. The whole club has needed a bollocking for the entirety of 2020.

I asked on another forum what people thought and the reaction seemed to be he is the best we could get I disagree, he's the most high profile we could get but I think in terms of managerial ability we could do better but you'd be having to get them out of their current clubs

That is perhaps the trait in JM that I dislike most. I think it undermines team spirit.
Strongly disagree. It does the exact opposite. The weak who don't like it fall by the wayside. The strong carry on and the ones in between who badly need a kick up the arse get one.

Why has he had a third year slump everywhere he goes then? He might be successful to begin with, but eventually everyone gets sick of his shit

Why has he had a third year slump everywhere he goes then? He might be successful to begin with, but eventually everyone gets sick of his shit
yes but the point they made is he works short term and has success in that time, he burns out after 3 years though, but you know that going in and plan for who to hire afterwards

Facts don't support that theory.

He's only gone into a third year with Swansea (succesful as poached by Liverpool), Liverpool (granted he failed there in the third season) and Celtic (successful as poached by the much bigger side again).

I don’t mean to be pedantic, and I do see what you are saying to an extent; I just don’t agree that he is “clearly a class manager”. Where and when has he proved that?
For starters, what he has done here. You dont take us to a fifth place finish whilst being an average manager. He was a baw hair away from the title at Liverpool and his Swansea team were the first Welsh team to make it out the Championship (the most competitive league in Europe) and finish 11th in the PL.
And although I know MANY here will argue it, winning 7 trophies in 3 years in Scotland isn't as easy as he made it look.
Competing and succeeding in 4 competitions every year is tough and if it was as easy as some folk south of the boarder think it is then proven managers like Paul Le Guen, Gordon Strachan, Walter Smith, Martin O'Neill, Dick Advocaat and Kenny Dalglish should have been able to replicate it.

In my opinion, his tactical knowledge makes him a class manager but his ego drags him down.

Did you really just put Gordon Strachan in your list?
A couple of great escapes with Coventry and Southampton after taking over each team mid season. A few mid table finishes with Coventry. Taking Southampton into Europe. A few trophies with Celtic and taking them into the CL knockouts. A decent run with Scotland.

In what world does this NOT qualify him as a "proven manager?"

You don't have to be good to be proven. Tim Sherwood and Peter Taylor have proven what they are as managers.

And although I know MANY here will argue it, winning 7 trophies in 3 years in Scotland isn't as easy as he made it look.
Competing and succeeding in 4 competitions every year is tough and if it was as easy as some folk south of the boarder think it is then proven managers like Paul Le Guen, Gordon Strachan, Walter Smith, Martin O'Neill, Dick Advocaat and Kenny Dalglish should have been able to replicate it.
Aye, no, you’re right. Having those two mid-table Championship clubs up against League Two standard opposition every week is definitely challenging.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670
8Middlesbro4669