• I don't vote in polls with such limited options

Votes: 2 3.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Because it's the most sensible option.
Why is it the most sensible option?

Is it more likely he's going to change in the next 9 games or that he'll be the exact same, and thus, the club and team will be in the exact same position as now, only with 9 more games of the season gone?

It’s all academic anyway. Unless we look doomed (and perhaps not even then) we won’t spend close to 40m sacking him. Well played Brendan. It’s one hell of a grift.

Is it more likely he's going to change in the next 9 games or that he'll be the exact same, and thus, the club and team will be in the exact same position as now, only with 9 more games of the season gone?

The same manager that won the FA Cup and finished fifth twice in a row. Jeez, that sounds awful.

Whilst on hindsight, the KDH substitution was borderline moronic, perhaps Rodgers could be forgiven for thinking that Brentford's back line would push up, as they pressed for a goal to get back in the game. Having the threat of Vardy and Daka running in behind would either force Brentford to stay back, or present us with opportunities to extend the lead. Unfortunately for us, it didn't pan out that way in the slightest. I'm not excusing the substitution, merely trying to rationalise it.

Whilst on hindsight, the KDH substitution was borderline moronic, perhaps Rodgers could be forgiven for thinking that Brentford's back line would push up, as they pressed for a goal to get back in the game. Having the threat of Vardy and Daka running in behind would either force Brentford to stay back, or present us with opportunities to extend the lead. Unfortunately for us, it didn't pan out that way in the slightest. I'm not excusing the substitution, merely trying to rationalise it.
I’m sure that was his thinking and I thought it must be at the time. And yes, there could have been some merit in that. But he then compounded it when Brentford’s back like didn’t push up and it was obvious it wasn’t working out the way he thought by not taking off Vardy for another midfielder.

But if he brought Praet on and he had a good game, or if Soumare had been involved and played well, some might say that they were effectively two new players (we certainly didn’t have Praet or a decent version of Soumare last season) and that wouldn’t fit his narrarive/spin. Instead he pines for Ademola f’n Lookman.

Who realistically do you think is going to come in and wave a magic wand to make things happen the way you want them to? Who do you want ? What are they going to do differently with the same personnel that Brendan has ? Serious question.

Who realistically do you think is going to come in and wave a magic wand to make things happen the way you want them to? Who do you want ? What are they going to do differently with the same personnel that Brendan has ? Serious question.
Use them

Give it ten games, then I'll reassess your vote and you can reassess mine.
It’s pointless debating with those that have made their minds up and can’t understand others feeling different about it. It’s fine for different people to have different opinions, but quite why they can’t accept others think differently to them is a bit beyond me.

Also, just to be clear, recruiting the new manager isn't our job.

If the club doesn't have a list of 5 decent candidates at all times then we're screwed.

Nobody thought we would get BR when we did, there is no reason to think we wouldn't do similar again

Yes, let's live in the past and not call out what's happening now for what it is. Sounds great.

I don't think that's the point Joe is making.

I may be speaking for him, but plenty of us that want to give Brendan more time have lots of reasons for this; the success he's given us in the past, but also the way last season played out and we still finished 8th - still one of our best ever Premier League seasons, no matter how it felt, while balancing almost a full season in European competitions (I'm talking about fixture congestion alongside the injuries, not the merit of the competition).

Brendan still has enough in credit for me and many others to give him longer, and there were genuine "excuses" for what we saw last season (although like I say, we still finished 8th).

Do things need to improve? Absolutely. I hoped we'd see a lot more from this team after a proper break & pre-season. The last 30 mins of Sunday was absolutely not good enough to throw away a result like that against a poor team, but I'm also not going to throw my toys out of the pram over the first game of the season.

That's why I'd give him 10 games. Because we need to see improvements, but if that's not happening after 10 games of a new season then the excuses will be wearing out.

Also, just to be clear, recruiting the new manager isn't our job.

If the club doesn't have a list of 5 decent candidates at all times then we're screwed.

Nobody thought we would get BR when we did, there is no reason to think we wouldn't do similar again

Except we can't afford to pay Brendan off, so it's almost certain we wouldn't get a manager of a similar reputation - we'd have to go with someone on a much lower salary

Except we can't afford to pay Brendan off, so it's almost certain we wouldn't get a manager of a similar reputation - we'd have to go with someone on a much lower salary
I'm quite okay with that. I would not want us to be in this situation again with an egomaniac in charge and placing his own mates in key roles until people realise they are all shit.

Realistically we'd be looking at an up and coming manager from Europe I would imagine, which would be much preferable in terms of wages.

Well that wouldn't be too hard, as he's supposedly the fourth highest paid manager in the League

I'm quite okay with that. I would not want us to be in this situation again with an egomaniac in charge and placing his own mates in key roles until people realise they are all shit.

Realistically we'd be looking at an up and coming manager from Europe I would imagine, which would be much preferable in terms of wages.

I was responding to this point though:

An up and coming manager from Europe isn't really the same thing, and would come with big risk.

I agree with you that's probably where we'd be looking, but therein lies the reason why we should still be giving Brendan longer. We're not going to be an attractive proposition right now for someone that is a proven option (in terms of wages or transfer budget available), so whoever comes in would straight away be a gamble and a risky appointment.

Things could be better... but they could also be a LOT worse.

I think some of us (myself included) have just forgotten what mid-table obscurity feels like and that made last season frustrating and will probably be the same for this year.

I don't want BR to be sacked. I really can't see how that is going to benefit us in the short term.

At the same time, I have absolutely zero connection to him as our manager and couldn't care less whether he stays in post or not.

What I want to see is BR being treated as a club employee. He was clearly given far too much power and, as predicted, made a mess of it. I just want him to coach the players and do his best for them. He's good at that and nothing more.

There are too many contradictory selections and weird comments for my liking. He needs to be privately called out for it and put in his place.

This is all on Rudkin and Whelan. They did this. It's hardly surprising that BR took advantage of their weakness. The contract he's on, the appointments he was allowed to make, the signings policy change etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Ipswich4389
2Leicester4288
3Leeds Utd4387
4Southampton4284
5West Brom4372
6Norwich City4371
7Hull City4265
8Coventry City4263