Rooney is fecked

Status
Not open for further replies.
We still have a strong midfield, IMO the forwards won't need to do a lot apart from be in the right place. With a midfield like ours as long as the forwards are feeling confident, they should be able to score.

The midfield is the key not the forward line.

Lets not start kidding ourselves that if we don't win the world cup it is because Rooney wasn't playing. It seems we are building up our excuses already

If we don't win it, it is because the team wasn't good enough

Last edited:
Melton Fox said:
We still have a strong midfield, IMO the forwards won't need to do a lot apart from be in the right place. With a midfield like ours as long as the forwards are feeling confident, they should be able to score.

The midfield is the key not the forward line.

Lets not start kidding ourselves that if we don't win the world cup it is because Rooney wasn't playing. It seems we are building up our excuses already

If we don't win it, it is because the team wasn't good enough

If we had one of owen and rooney fully fit I wouldn't be too worried because as you say we have an excellent midfield. Just without both of them.... there isn't enough quality/experience imo.

Euro 2004, proved that without Rooney we lost a lot of our attacking threat and options, now that is mainly down to Sven and his negative tactics but the guy is still in charge, so I really believe that without the services of Rooney we will not win the cup, as we lose that one special player capable of producing a moment of genius. If Owen is out as well, then we are well and truly fecked, no country could cope with losing 2 of it's genuine world class players, and that includes Brazil and France.

If Rooney and / or Owen are out, Sven will seriously have to rethink his tactics and formation.

The options IMO, is move Joe Cole to play the Rooney role with Downing or SWP coming in on the left, or revert to 4-5-1 with either King (if fit) or Carrick assuming the holding role.

If Rooney is out, I would suggest taking Sheringham as a player to use in the final 20 / 25 minutes, he is good at holding the ball up, creating space and has excellent vision, would make a contribution IMO, rather than taking somebody like Beattie or another vastly unproven striker.

I wouldn't move players out of their postitions. It is simply a case of putting other CF's in place. As you say Sheringham would be good to take, it's a shame Shearer is being so fookin' stubborn (come on beg me please, I am a god)

CL proved that playing players out of postion doesn't work

As is said if we don't win the WC it isn't because of Rooney, but I am in a no prove situation, unless we win it without him of course

Last edited:
I like the idea of Sheringham, but what about Robbie Fowler? For me he would be ideal. Starting to return to form after a good run of games, and has played alongside Owen and, more importantly, Crouch before. could be good to come on as for me he is a more natural finisher then Sheringham.

Yep, forgot about Fowler.

As I stated in a previous post. The midfield quality is very high. The quality I would look for in a forward is positioning. Fowler & Sheringham are excellent at this

Sherringham.........is this some kind of Joke,tell me you aren't serious.:icon_conf
Its Owen and Crouch,Crouch is there just for nuisance value.Owen's X ray this morning shows no damage so hopefully he'll be Ok.None of our other Strikers are anywhere near good enough IMO.

Brauny Blue said:
If theres no Rooney, it exposes how limited we are in terms of world class strikers.:icon_sad:

We've still got Sheringham...:icon_roll

Duzza said:
Without Owen and rooney we might as well not bother.

We agree again Durham:icon_eek: We could always take Ian Wright as back up though...

highland fox said:
Sherringham.........is this some kind of Joke,tell me you aren't serious.:icon_conf
Its Owen and Crouch,Crouch is there just for nuisance value.Owen's X ray this morning shows no damage so hopefully he'll be Ok.None of our other Strikers are anywhere near good enough IMO.

I AGREE WITH MR HIGHLAND.... oops caps lock.

highland fox said:

Crouch is only getting a game because he is tall. :icon_roll

Steven said:
Crouch is only getting a game because he is tall. :icon_roll

There is no other reason to play him ;)

Is it unprofessional to take a player to the worlds greatest football tournament just because he is tall ?

Melton Fox said:
Is it unprofessional to take a player to the worlds greatest football tournament just because he is tall ?

It's not when your only other options are either a) injured or b) shit

Marlon Harewood to save the day.... the ugly bugger will scare the ball into the back of the net.

My team without Rooney:

------------------------Robinson

Neville---------Ferdinand----------Terry----------Cole (if fit)

---------Beckham--------Lampard--------Gerrard

-------------Wright Phillips------------Joe Cole

-------------------------Owen

Good attacking team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687