Royalty

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think it’s been fascinating.

Personally, it’s made me question my own worldview a little. Firstly, I have ZERO respect for or interest in the royal family. I appreciate that the queen spanned generations and must have been in rooms with some of modern history’s most influential people. That’s cool. Beyond that, big fat ‘meh’ from me.

The backlash to the backlash has been concerned with respecting the Queen. Does that mean her as an individual or does it stretch to the things she represents? I’ve seen very little attacking her and even then it’s humorous, personal taste and all that.

If David Bowie’s coffin had been paraded through the streets and someone stood in the crowd with a big ‘Bowie is a ****’ sign, then yeah I’d be annoyed. The whole conversation around freedom of speech is a tiresome one thanks to this ****ing culture war, wokies, cancelling etc that our daft media and politicians love to parrot.

I don’t like it when things I care about are mocked or disrespected. I hate hearing people moan about trigger warnings. I hate hearing people moan about wokeness. I hate hearing people moan about ‘you can’t say this, you can’t say that anymore’. I hate it when LGBT causes are mocked….

All of that feels like punching down. Not capitulating to peer pressure to mourn a dead monarch definitely feels like punching up. I remember the moaning that accompanied business changing their Twitter profiles to support BLM (whatever you think of the origins of that movement, you can’t deny that the public support was purely one of anti racism in all its forms). Now we have an enforced day of nationwide mourning. You can’t really go shopping, or have a day out or do your job to the usual standard if you choose to work. Where were the people that didn’t like having ‘woke’ causes pushed on them now?

It’s made me question myself because I hate how divided the country is. It really, genuinely depresses me on a daily basis. I’ve started taking medication again because I worry so much about the future and no one seems to want to do anything, just argue the toss about bullshit. And yet…. Hear I am, taking the piss out of people grieving. I can only assume that it’s arrogance on my part because I don’t understand the people behaving like this for the Queen.

What a load of stream of consciousness cobblers. You can see why I don’t usually post anything longer than a couple of lines because I never actually know what my point is.

One last thing that I was thinking about last night, it may sound glib but everyday is precious. Isn’t that what people say when someone dies? Usually the thought comes to you in more tragic circumstances than when a 96 year old who lived a life of unimaginable privilege dies. Having a day of enforced mourning, where everything has to shut down for no reason other than to be seen to be doing the right thing is one of the strangest, most Orwellian things that I’ve ever experienced.

I agree with quite a lot of this. I disagree with some too but that's cool.

Just wanted to say that I think it's really natural to be worried about the future when you have a young child. Sorry to hear that it's all a bit much for you at times but it just indicates that you're a decent human being.

The other thing is that I really enjoyed reading your 'stream of consciousness' and would recommend that you do it more often.

I agree with quite a lot of this. I disagree with some too but that's cool.

Just wanted to say that I think it's really natural to be worried about the future when you have a young child. Sorry to hear that it's all a bit much for you at times but it just indicates that you're a decent human being.

The other thing is that I really enjoyed reading your 'stream of consciousness' and would recommend that you do it more often.
What do you mean you disagree with me, what’s the matter with you?!?!

Nah, thanks BN. That means a lot, seriously.

I always enjoy your posts and the recent developments regarding your word from the streets.

these "not my king" people..... i agree with the sentiment and being arrested is Russia-type dodginess, but crkey, just hold on for a few years of Charles, give it a rest and the tide will begin to turn

I think it’s been fascinating.

Personally, it’s made me question my own worldview a little. Firstly, I have ZERO respect for or interest in the royal family. I appreciate that the queen spanned generations and must have been in rooms with some of modern history’s most influential people. That’s cool. Beyond that, big fat ‘meh’ from me.

The backlash to the backlash has been concerned with respecting the Queen. Does that mean her as an individual or does it stretch to the things she represents? I’ve seen very little attacking her and even then it’s humorous, personal taste and all that.

If David Bowie’s coffin had been paraded through the streets and someone stood in the crowd with a big ‘Bowie is a ****’ sign, then yeah I’d be annoyed. The whole conversation around freedom of speech is a tiresome one thanks to this ****ing culture war, wokies, cancelling etc that our daft media and politicians love to parrot.

I don’t like it when things I care about are mocked or disrespected. I hate hearing people moan about trigger warnings. I hate hearing people moan about wokeness. I hate hearing people moan about ‘you can’t say this, you can’t say that anymore’. I hate it when LGBT causes are mocked….

All of that feels like punching down. Not capitulating to peer pressure to mourn a dead monarch definitely feels like punching up. I remember the moaning that accompanied business changing their Twitter profiles to support BLM (whatever you think of the origins of that movement, you can’t deny that the public support was purely one of anti racism in all its forms). Now we have an enforced day of nationwide mourning. You can’t really go shopping, or have a day out or do your job to the usual standard if you choose to work. Where were the people that didn’t like having ‘woke’ causes pushed on them now?

It’s made me question myself because I hate how divided the country is. It really, genuinely depresses me on a daily basis. I’ve started taking medication again because I worry so much about the future and no one seems to want to do anything, just argue the toss about bullshit. And yet…. Hear I am, taking the piss out of people grieving. I can only assume that it’s arrogance on my part because I don’t understand the people behaving like this for the Queen.

What a load of stream of consciousness cobblers. You can see why I don’t usually post anything longer than a couple of lines because I never actually know what my point is.

One last thing that I was thinking about last night, it may sound glib but everyday is precious. Isn’t that what people say when someone dies? Usually the thought comes to you in more tragic circumstances than when a 96 year old who lived a life of unimaginable privilege dies. Having a day of enforced mourning, where everything has to shut down for no reason other than to be seen to be doing the right thing is one of the strangest, most Orwellian things that I’ve ever experienced.

Modern life is rubbish. We’ve selfishly decided to procreate, bringing our children into a much worse world than the one we inherited. Hard not to view yourself as anything but a tosser for 1. Doing that and 2. Not doing enough to fix it

As for the medication. I’m there with you.

Anyone not deeply concerned about the last 10 years is either a sociopath, completely ignorant, or incredibly ill-informed.

While there are divisions all over the place one thing unites almost everyone: the creeping sense that we’ve ****ed it. So there’s solace in that, I suppose.

For what it’s worth I blame our parents generation. Our generation has basically been completely passed over so that they can keep their claws on the levers of power. It’s rot and decay. For example:

1663240143478.png

Keep your head up, get some sleep, and teach your child to have the same levels of empathy and self-reflection you’ve shown here.

Modern life is rubbish. We’ve selfishly decided to procreate, bringing our children into a much worse world than the one we inherited. Hard not to view yourself as anything but a tosser for 1. Doing that and 2. Not doing enough to fix it

As for the medication. I’m there with you.

Anyone not deeply concerned about the last 10 years is either a sociopath, completely ignorant, or incredibly ill-informed.

While there are divisions all over the place one thing unites almost everyone: the creeping sense that we’ve ****ed it. So there’s solace in that, I suppose.

For what it’s worth I blame our parents generation. Our generation has basically been completely passed over so that they can keep their claws on the levers of power. It’s rot and decay. For example:

View attachment 17189

Keep your head up, get some sleep, and teach your child to have the same levels of empathy and self-reflection you’ve shown here.
Still, we’ve got the football to look forw…. Oh ****.

Thanks for the kind words mate. I’m wary of turning the thread into ‘Ted’s hysterical and annoying existentialism thread’ but it’s true what you say about having kids. I’m still in the very early days of parenthood but I get it now. I expected the feeling to be a bit like when you first fall in love with someone and everything is right with the world for a while. But it’s different isn’t it? It’s nothing but constant worrying for them :icon lol: It’s ****ing tiring!

As for our parents’ generation, I’m with you on that. To misquote something that the TV writer Dan Harmon said; They expect our gratitude and a free pass for giving us The Beatles, fake butter and the AIDS crisis.

Still, we’ve got the football to look forw…. Oh ****.

Thanks for the kind words mate. I’m wary of turning the thread into ‘Ted’s hysterical and annoying existentialism thread’ but it’s true what you say about having kids. I’m still in the very early days of parenthood but I get it now. I expected the feeling to be a bit like when you first fall in love with someone and everything is right with the world for a while. But it’s different isn’t it? It’s nothing but constant worrying for them :icon lol: It’s ****ing tiring!

As for our parents’ generation, I’m with you on that. To misquote something that the TV writer Dan Harmon said; They expect our gratitude and a free pass for giving us The Beatles, fake butter and the AIDS crisis.
Harmon wrote an entire entire show about how our parents are ****ing up our children. I suppose that makes us Jerry’s which feels about right. No wonder we are on drugs!

Harmon wrote an entire entire show about how our parents are ****ing up our children. I suppose that makes us Jerry’s which feels about right.
Ah Jeez.

Well...with regard to the above :

The future was always going to be shit. The details aren't important except in the sense of it being a missed opportunity.

It's been the same throughout history. The only time life has ever been good for "ordinary people" (those not lucky enough to have been born into wealth & opportunity) is after a massive disaster. Wars, plagues,famines etc reduce the population & leave the survivors in a better bargaining position.

For us ( those born after 1925 & their children born after 1940 ) it was world war 2.

A whole world to rebuild. everything in ruins, the economy set back to zero.
For the first time in history normal working people had the education, the organisation & the ability to provoke radical change. & they did.

We'll rebuild your world...but in return we want the slums bulldozed & decent places to live, decent hospitals & heath care, good schools for our kids & fair wages. If you don't agree...well, roll your sleeves up & grab a ****ing shovel posh boy.

It worked. Because it had to.

But 5 minutes after giving it all over they started work on getting it all back. This took the rest of the 20th century.

& now here we are.

The only difference is this :

After every other collapse, things went back to the way they were because power was in the hands of the same people ultimately.
For thousands of years the only way to gain power was by heredity or by force of arms. So almost all power resided with warmongering, self interested, megalomaniac bastards.

This time it was different.

The western world has had the universal franchise for 100 years, give or take a year or 2 in either direction depending on the individual country.
We got to vote for our leaders. Finally. Regardless of age, sex , social class or wealth. We ALL had a vote.We could CHOOSE our leaders. It really should have been completely different.

But who did we vote for?... with very few exceptions, war mongering, self interested, megalomaniac bastards.

The human race has Stockholm Syndrome. We were lead by these ****s for so long, most of us now believe that's the only sort of people who actually CAN be a leader.

All of this proves that we actually ARE the stupid ****ing peasants they always said we were.

You may not be, I may not be. But vast hordes of the world's population are.

It's only going to take another 50 years to get back to where we were in 1900 I'd say., & guess what? They won't even have to force it on us. We'll ****ing vote for it.

Then it's job done til the end of the next global war. If humanity even survives that considering the technology now available.

Our only hope is probably an alien invasion.

If that ever happens you can **** off with the normal sci-fi response.

None of this defending humanity at all costs bullshit.

I want to hear their offer.

Last edited:
Perhaps I will watch the comedy channel version. Any idea who is starring?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Ipswich4389
2Leicester4288
3Leeds Utd4387
4Southampton4284
5West Brom4372
6Norwich City4371
7Hull City4265
8Coventry City4263