Royalty

Status
Not open for further replies.
Meanwhile on the towpath, life goes on as always it did.

Monday's just a sick day for many isn't it? There's an ever increasing list of shit you can't do and only middle and higher earners will actually get paid. I do like how bbc are copying the fa cup final coverage by having 10/11 hours build up to the match (Paddington film)

I do like how bbc are copying the fa cup final coverage by having 10/11 hours build up to the match (Paddington film)
Maybe they can combine "It's a Cup Final Knockout" with that version of "It's a Knockout" that featured members of the Windsor family.

D1BE7CFA-0AA1-40A0-A9B6-099E99CE46F4.jpeg

Didn’t know that the Germans hated her that much. But I guess it’s what she would have wanted.

The “arresting citizens for holding a contrary view” thing is very normal and not concerning at all.
I think it’s been fascinating.

Personally, it’s made me question my own worldview a little. Firstly, I have ZERO respect for or interest in the royal family. I appreciate that the queen spanned generations and must have been in rooms with some of modern history’s most influential people. That’s cool. Beyond that, big fat ‘meh’ from me.

The backlash to the backlash has been concerned with respecting the Queen. Does that mean her as an individual or does it stretch to the things she represents? I’ve seen very little attacking her and even then it’s humorous, personal taste and all that.

If David Bowie’s coffin had been paraded through the streets and someone stood in the crowd with a big ‘Bowie is a ****’ sign, then yeah I’d be annoyed. The whole conversation around freedom of speech is a tiresome one thanks to this ****ing culture war, wokies, cancelling etc that our daft media and politicians love to parrot.

I don’t like it when things I care about are mocked or disrespected. I hate hearing people moan about trigger warnings. I hate hearing people moan about wokeness. I hate hearing people moan about ‘you can’t say this, you can’t say that anymore’. I hate it when LGBT causes are mocked….

All of that feels like punching down. Not capitulating to peer pressure to mourn a dead monarch definitely feels like punching up. I remember the moaning that accompanied business changing their Twitter profiles to support BLM (whatever you think of the origins of that movement, you can’t deny that the public support was purely one of anti racism in all its forms). Now we have an enforced day of nationwide mourning. You can’t really go shopping, or have a day out or do your job to the usual standard if you choose to work. Where were the people that didn’t like having ‘woke’ causes pushed on them now?

It’s made me question myself because I hate how divided the country is. It really, genuinely depresses me on a daily basis. I’ve started taking medication again because I worry so much about the future and no one seems to want to do anything, just argue the toss about bullshit. And yet…. Hear I am, taking the piss out of people grieving. I can only assume that it’s arrogance on my part because I don’t understand the people behaving like this for the Queen.

What a load of stream of consciousness cobblers. You can see why I don’t usually post anything longer than a couple of lines because I never actually know what my point is.

One last thing that I was thinking about last night, it may sound glib but everyday is precious. Isn’t that what people say when someone dies? Usually the thought comes to you in more tragic circumstances than when a 96 year old who lived a life of unimaginable privilege dies. Having a day of enforced mourning, where everything has to shut down for no reason other than to be seen to be doing the right thing is one of the strangest, most Orwellian things that I’ve ever experienced.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4597
2Ipswich4593
3Leeds Utd4590
4Southampton4584
5Norwich City4573
6West Brom4572
7Hull City4570
8Middlesbro4566