Ryan Smith

Status
Not open for further replies.
31662.jpg

Ryan made a welcome return from a knee ligament injury last season and was getting back to his best by the end of the campaign with some impressive performances for the Reserves.
The England Under-19 international featured in all three games of Arsenal's Carling Cup run, playing a total of 103 minutes against Manchester City, Everton and Manchester United.
Ryan is one of the most promising youngsters on the books at Highbury. His pace, skill and quick feet make him an extremely tricky customer whether he operates on the left flank or in a more central role.

Sounds promising.

Ryan, Ryan Smith

Ryan, Ryan Smith

Ryan, Ryan Smith

Super Ryan Smithy

YAHOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

http://www.lcfc.premiumtv.co.uk/page/News/NewsDetail/0,,10274~720707,00.html

;)

Winger who can play left or right side. Doesn't mention it, but I think he can also play up front? Winger though? Since when do we use them! ;)

Glad to see Levein recognising the need for something extra! I'd expect him to play right wing, I don't think Levein is happy with Sylla...

Good move, hopefully will do well in his time here and we'll keep him! ;) Loan is til end of December but can be extended.

Hopefully he will slot in on the left and give us some more balance and more attacking impetus from that side. Maybe then Levein will play Tiatto and Hughes in the middle.

I am sorry but I just hate seeing Danny T play on the left!

Arsenal starlet Ryan Smith has received high praise from Gunners manager Arsene Wenger as the winger bids to make an impact on the domestic and international stage.

Smith, who is set to move up from the England Under-19s to the Under-20 squad to face Holland at Burnley on Sunday 9 October, has been impressive for the Arsenal reserves after recovering from a cruciate ligament last season.

"He has so many ingredients that you love to have when you’re a young player and I am confident he will be a big success," Wenger told Arsenal.com.

"He’s creative, he’s quick, he can score goals, he’s left-footed as well, and he’s a great crosser of the ball.

"He had a bad injury, Ryan, at a young age, but he’s now back to full fitness and he can be a very good support player for us. We must focus on the young players we have and give them a chance."

Smith has already been in fine form for the Under-19s and has learnt a great deal from the senior players at Arsenal.

"I always talk with the older players," said Smith. "They are really helpful in getting you to understand parts of the game that you may not be familiar with. You never stop leaning and in training they do some magical things.

"You cannot help but to learn from people like that - it’s wonderful to be training with them. You can’t just stop and watch because you’re training but you can admire.

"The manager says to me: ‘You’ve got pace and you’ve got skill but just use it when you need to but don’t forget to play simple when you can’.

"He’s always helping me. He spoke to me before I came out here during our first week of pre-season training. He told me he wants me to do well here and then hopefully I can look to get myself fixed in the Arsenal team."

http://www.thefa.com/England/U20s/NewsAndFeatures/Postings/2005/09/Ryan_Smith_tipped_for_glory.htm

Is he only 18? Wonder whether he will start at Derby? I would expect him to be on the bench. I guess theres no chance of keeping him in the event of him playing well judging by old Arsene's comments.

Arsenal have really been talking him up recently - this from the official Arsenal website last week. Maybe they're trying to sell him!

Wenger: 'Smith will be a big success'

Slaloming his way through the Highbury ranks is a young Islington-born left-winger who is causing quite a stir with his performances for the Arsenal second-string — 18-year-old Ryan Smith.

If you take former Gunner Marc Overmars’ pace, add the grace and composure of Thierry Henry, throw in the vision and close control of Dennis Bergkamp and mix in the nimble turning ability, dribbling and crossing of another ex-Gunner, Sylvinho - before letting it simmer and garnishing with a level head, what do we have?

The recipe to a potentially potent addition to Arsène Wenger’s arsenal. And it’s a point not lost on the Arsenal boss:

“He [Smith] has so many ingredients that you love to have when you’re a young player and I am confident he will be a big success,” Wenger told Arsenal.com.

“He’s creative, he’s quick, he can score goals, he’s left-footed as well, and he’s a great crosser of the ball.”

Smith, who joined Arsenal as a scholar in 2003, suffered a major setback at the start of the 2004/05 season, sustaining a career-threatening cruciate ligament injury. But he battled back to appear in the Carling Cup last term.

“He had a bad injury, Ryan, at a young age, but he’s now back to full fitness and he can be a very good support [player] for us,” said Wenger.

Smith himself spoke to Arsenal.com recently about his ambitions for this year’s campaign. “My main focus is to really, really push myself next season and try my best,” he said.

Another young Gunner, defender Ryan Garry - who himself overcame a long-term injury - thinks his more attack-minded namesake is destined for great things.

“He’s a terrific player,” said Garry. “Technically he is very good, he’s got a lot of pace and he’s very positive in the way he plays.

“Sometimes I’m fortunate enough to be playing behind him and obviously I can see him doing his stuff, and you know it’s wonderful to watch when he’s in full flow.".

For the younger players at Highbury, making the step up to a regular first-team berth is easier said than done - not least because of the world-class calibre of the players ahead of them. But Wenger had some encouraging words for his fledglings.

“We must focus on the young players we have and give them a chance,” he said.

If Smith gets his chance, and Wenger gets Ryan firing, Arsenal may have another real star in the making.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4597
2Ipswich4593
3Leeds Utd4590
4Southampton4584
5Norwich City4573
6West Brom4572
7Hull City4570
8Middlesbro4566