SAVE THE BOWSTRING BRIDGE.... or not

Status
Not open for further replies.
they dont want to, DMU has obviously hit the right level of cash incentive for them to go ahead with this.

No doubt Cate. Someone will make a lot of money.

. Leicester Council have no vision and no future just pure greed, .

Funny really cos all I keep getting fed at work is bollocks about ten year plans, changing departments around to make them funcition better and trying to memorise the 'One Leicester' motto. The LCC are about to invest a whole wedge of money in refurbishing Bishop Street Post Office which is similar state to the Bow Bridge but clearly a more workable and feasible option into creating a building of purpose. Remember collecting taxpayers money is a piece of piss, spending it's very hard.

There's been a lot of neglect across Leicester though for it's buildings no doubt.

I just can't see what you'd turn the Bow Bridge into to be honest or what kind of landmark or would it bring to the city if it stayed but cleaned up.

Oh come off it Hazz, are you being serious?
The possibilities are, almost, endless. It's a striking piece of the city's heritage and a city isn't just about functional buildings.

HTB want it preserved so his mob have somewhere for public hangings.

The city council have released plans to knock down the old Bowstring Bridge that sits on route to the Walkers....

and quite rightly so, its a bloody eye sore!

People will argue that its about Heritage etc... but lets get with the times, its a useless piece of scrap metal!

They are going to build a gym complex in its place, surely thats going to benefit the community more?

WestEnd resident quoted in the mercury - "the people of this city love that bridge and want it kept" :bang:

Some people.

How does a Gym replace an unused bridge? will the cars drive straight throught he gym?

There's been a lot of neglect across Leicester though for it's buildings no doubt.

Exactly, the council knew what they were doing in the neglect of the bridge, maybe if they had kept it maintained as is their duty we wouldn't have a problem and the bridge would be safe and able to be transformed into a real icon.

As it is they left it to rot just so they can get rid when the right money comes along for them, what's the betting that this Gym complex will be built at as small a cost as possible and looks totally shite and outdated within 10 years.

Last edited:
The UK should just introduce playgrounds ...

Stumbled across one in France once

people normally go the Phillipines for that sort of holiday

:icon_bigg

Shame to see it go. It is a feature of the City’s past that should have been preserved. Railway bridges are ten a penny but this is a fine example of the effort the Great Central Railway put into their architecture. The line was a bit of a white Elephant in its short day and doesn’t really hold much historical significance. I can see why people wouldn’t want to spend money on it and English Heritage’s refusal to list it.

Although Central Leicester scrubs up well these days with some modern additions, progress isn’t always such a good thing. Such an example is what has been done to the new characterless Rugby station in a quest for modernistaion. Just as Leicester's remaining mainline station was rebuilt in the 70's.

Can't wait for it to disappear, it's all I can see from the window next to my desk at work. Plus the traffic after work is awful as the road is closed.

Out of interest why are people only trying to get it listed now it is being taken down? If it was that important they should surely have been trying to get it listed years ago?

There's been six attempts to list it in the past few years. The latest being a last ditch attempt to avoid the knocking down of it. Selfishly, I'll be glad when it's gone, it adds at least fifteen minutes to driving back home.

Traffic is terrible at the minute, the signs say it could take up to 3 months from October. Hopefully be gone by the new year.

Traffic is terrible at the minute, the signs say it could take up to 3 months from October. Hopefully be gone by the new year.

I think that was based on them having started demolition on time, this last round of protests has probably added a couple of months on.

Status
Not open for further replies.

P Pld Pts
1Manchester C  412
2Arsenal410
3Newcastle410
4Liverpool49
5Aston Villa49
6Brighton48
7Nottm F48
8Chelsea47
9Brentford46