Shay Given

Status
Not open for further replies.
we shouldn't do that on too many players. Sol Bamba has proven that there's value to be had in the market. If we did pay Given 50k a week of his wages we'd need to make sure that Waghorn went out on loan with Derby paying full wages for him to soften the blow. And if we don't get promoted then we are big time oot of pocket with some very frustrated owners and no Yak, Naughton, VA or Given to fall back on next year. It's a shit or bust strategy - i like it! (but as a naturally conservative chap, am scared of it!)

I very much doubt any of that is the case.

When the owners appointed Sven, I'm sure that they were sensible enough to realise that the play-offs were unlikely, and that this year would be one of consolidation. We've clearly attempted to move up the table with our signings, and the outside chance of the playoffs will have helped coax them here, but I'm sure Sven knows that it's more likely to be next year for a realistic push.

The signings do show that we mean business, and I'm sure Sven wouldn't be here if he didn't have the backing to sign such players. But I can't imagine it's a one-off gamble this season, and I'd expect similar amounts to be being spent over the summer for next season.

I very much doubt any of that is the case.

When the owners appointed Sven, I'm sure that they were sensible enough to realise that the play-offs were unlikely, and that this year would be one of consolidation. We've clearly attempted to move up the table with our signings, and the outside chance of the playoffs will have helped coax them here, but I'm sure Sven knows that it's more likely to be next year for a realistic push.

The signings do show that we mean business, and I'm sure Sven wouldn't be here if he didn't have the backing to sign such players. But I can't imagine it's a one-off gamble this season, and I'd expect similar amounts to be being spent over the summer for next season.

If they do not think we will make the play-offs or have a chance to, why would they waste their money :102:

When the owners appointed Sven, I'm sure that they were sensible enough to realise that the play-offs were unlikely...

The signings do show that we mean business, and I'm sure Sven wouldn't be here if he didn't have the backing to sign such players.

If they do not think we will make the play-offs or have a chance to, why would they waste their money :102:

I said unlikely, not impossible.

And as above, I doubt we would have got Sven here if we'd said, "can you come and look after us for a year, before we give you any backing". Sven is a bigger manager than us so it needed some considerable funding to get him here (I can only assume).

1345: A few of you are asking about a possible Sven-Goran Eriksson swoop for Manchester City's second-choice keeper Shay Given but my understanding is there is no chance of the Republic of Ireland international joining Leicester, or anyone else today. City got left short between the sticks by an injury to Given last season when they had loaned Joe Hart out to Birmingham, and they are not going to run the risk of the same happening again this campaign. Given to stay, until the summer anyway.

We HAVE got Ricardo.

he is going cardiff

scoop.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675