Sitting or standing

Status
Not open for further replies.

lanxfox

Yes that old chesnut - in the good old days when you could go to a game you had the choice of either sitting or standing - in my younger days I used to like to stand up but now I'm nearly a senior citizen I do admit I prefer to sit down - how ironic at nearly every away game I have attended this season you don't have a choice whether to sit or stand because if you sit you can't watch the game cos every bugger else is stood up!!!

Yes I had to stand yesterday as did I think most of the bottom tier.
At the end my feet were aching and I probably would have prefered to have sat down. Then had to walk a distance in the pooring rain to get my bus home.

The stewards never asked once for anyone to sit down as far as I could tell they were more bothered about a possible pitch invasion and hence why they went OTT when one of our fans celebrating our first goal ran down towards the front all along the front and then back to his seat. The poor guy was ejected at half time by instructions from "on high" no matter how much pleading by me and other City fans who could see the injustice of it all, particularly as he had his son in the Stadium with him.

Had there been more vocal and mouthy younger fans involved tooking for trouble there could quite easily been a riot and a lot more thrown out and/or arrested.The Chief Steward himself argued with his superiors about ejecting him but they forced him to act.

Last edited:
The stewards were far more concerned fans might use cameras, than they were about standing during the game.
Excuse my ignorance, but what's wrong about using cameras?

It could be used for illegal streaming, that is all I can think of.

They can be used to take photos. You're not allowed to take photos of the match because the football authorities want to "protect" their product by only allowing authorised photographers. You're also not allowed to report live from the match unless you're an accredited journalist.

I imagine that the standing was due to the seats not being 4G compatible and running Android.

According to their ground regs, I was very lucky to be able to keep my camera on me, as I did not have the appropriate written authority to take it into the ground. This is despite the steward outside telling me I could take pics before and after the game itself.

Given the strict interpretation of regulation 19, I was very relieved that regulation 8 was not interpreted strictly. Next time we play at Hillsborough, I shall be wearing unbranded clothing, just in case they decide they want to confiscate that. The fall out would leave people emotionally and psychologically scarred.

Having been to the recent game at St Andrews and having asked at the ticket office for a seat on either side of the main "standers" I found on taking my seat that I was in the area where most people wanted to sttand up, having a pair of dodgy knees I asked the man in front of me if he could sit down and was greeted with a volley of verbal abuse and was told that he wanted to stand up, I then moved to the right and was told by a BCFC steward that I had to sit in my designated seat and I asked if he could get people to sit down and was told "Do you want a riot" I cant get 4,000 people to sit down, having approached the Stadium Steward and as on the ticket it states that it is against the law to stand was again told I cannot do anything. Luckily he did allow me to change seats and sat with a large group that all wanted to sit down. PLEASE SIT DOWN

Having been to the recent game at St Andrews and having asked at the ticket office for a seat on either side of the main "standers" I found on taking my seat that I was in the area where most people wanted to sttand up, having a pair of dodgy knees I asked the man in front of me if he could sit down and was greeted with a volley of verbal abuse and was told that he wanted to stand up, I then moved to the right and was told by a BCFC steward that I had to sit in my designated seat and I asked if he could get people to sit down and was told "Do you want a riot" I cant get 4,000 people to sit down, having approached the Stadium Steward and as on the ticket it states that it is against the law to stand was again told I cannot do anything. Luckily he did allow me to change seats and sat with a large group that all wanted to sit down. PLEASE SIT DOWN

It's not against the law to stand, it is against ground regulations.

If you don't sit down, the terrorists win. It's as simple as that.

This is for having a piss, right? I always prefer to sit down if possible. :icon_bigg

I prefer it standing, against a wall, with my hand gently on her neck.

But we might be talking about different things...

Last edited:
Durka Jihad! Derka derka mohammed jihad para sherpe sherpa a bak a lak a.

"Good morning, I have to say that wearing a burka is very uncomfortable, and to add to this it makes me stink like ****"

Is my translation correct?

They can be used to take photos. You're not allowed to take photos of the match because the football authorities want to "protect" their product by only allowing authorised photographers. You're also not allowed to report live from the match unless you're an accredited journalist.

Am I right that you are not supposed to even bring cameras into the ground?

With mobile phones the ban has become a farce. The National Trust has given up trying to stop people taking photos in their buildings and now reasonably allows photos without the use of flash (frequent use of flash damages paintings). I bought a pocket video camera (Kodak Playfull) because it looked like a mobile phone and I could get away with filming inside places (usually Italian churches) that ban photography. At a recent concert at De Montfort Hall there was a great deal of illicit photography going on and the stewards only asked people to stop when they walked to front of the stage to film..

Not only does photography go on at the stadium, substitute players and some opposing managers (Steve Bruce and Ian Holloway) have posed to be photographed with fans at half time right in front of the stewards.

The mobile phone has changed photography so much that the regulation should change. An amateur video posted on YouTube is not really a threat to The Football League Show or the Official Site.

As you are not supposed to report live from a match unless you are an accredited journalist this surely includes Match Threads.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4597
2Leeds Utd4590
3Ipswich4490
4Southampton4584
5Norwich City4573
6West Brom4572
7Hull City4570
8Middlesbro4566