So Yesterdays Result

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm quite happy that the media ignore us tbh.

I agree.
When we were doing well a taxi driver in Rome amused a Hammers fan by having heard of West Ham but not of Leicester City. My friend told him "Leicester City piccolo" (small).

When the alleged rape scandal broke out at La Manga the West Ham fan e-mailed me with one sentence "Roman taxi drivers have heard of Leicester City now."

I think we are better without Dennis Wise assaulting his team mates and Stan Collymore letting off fire extinguishers.

Whilst doing the ope3n top bus tour round London a few months ago the tour guide didn't know buggar about Leicestershire, he asked two dutch lads if they had and they said yes the football team, when asked why they said La Manga....the tour guide didn't know that either!

As I have been saying all season long on a forum, when was the last time a newly-promoted team did so well? Bristol City under Gary Johnson? He was best thing since sliced bread for a number of weeks after that.

The media also ignore you if a good defence is the reasoning for your side's success.

I think that's also down to;

- The size of Bristol City - when smaller clubs go on to achieve good things (like they did) its noted more because it's considered tougher for them to do it than bigger clubs - ala Blackpool here.

- They kind of did better than us - finished higher, spending most of the season near the promotion spots and got to the play-off final.

We actually got more points than Bristol City in that season. They finished 4th, us 5th.

I've already said my piece about praising smaller clubs. As it's always easier to play for an underdog than a favourite.

Still my point stands that if defence is your strength, nobody praises you.

I don't mind avoiding the spotlight, I just want respect as every time we're on Sky it's the other team being in crisis or in brilliant form.

Last edited:
We actually got more points than Bristol City in that season. They finished 4th, us 5th.

I've already said my piece about praising smaller clubs. As it's always easier to play for an underdog than a favourite.

Still my point stands that if defence is your strength, nobody praises you.

I don't mind avoiding the spotlight, I just want respect as every time we're on Sky it's the other team being in crisis or in brilliant form.

I do agree we're not exactly flavour of the month with regards to the media, but I'm sure (and I'm sure Nigel Pearson is sure) that it's a good thing.

I'm not sure however if our defence is particularly out strong point, nor our attack...

Steve Claridge once defined us as a 7/10 team all season - and I totally agreed.

We've basically been very good at defeating (sometimes narrowly) the mediocrity Championship normality that is found in the majority of Championship teams.

However, when up against 'the big boys' of last season we've rarely given a good account of ourselves (bar Forest I guess), which again would count against our 'media image' as it were.

Question for you stattos out there, I've been wandering about:

How many times (since the league changed back to 24 teams) has 70pts gotten you promotion? And how many times has it even been good enough for the play-offs?

I'm guessing that Holloway was extrememly lucky that other teams didn't get the points total this season and that in most other seasons he would have ended up finishing about 8th or 9th.

Last edited:
How many times (since the league changed back to 24 teams) has 70pts gotten you promotion? And how many times has it even been good enough for the play-offs?

I'm guessing that Holloway was extrememly lucky that other teams didn't get the points total this season and that in most other seasons he would have ended up finishing about 8th or 9th.

Towards the end of the season the stats on points needed to finish 6th were posted several times, I'm sure you'll find it if you look at some of the old threads.

You forgetting Newcastle at home then?( and tbf the first half up ant Newcastle as well)

I guess we played well against them at home, but one point out of a possible six, and 7 points in total from a possible 24 (vs. the teams who finished above us).

A poor return if you ask me.

He will no doubt be sold for an undisclosed fee (which is transfer speak for **** all).

Without knowing his actual weekly wage its hard for me to speculate what we could even beg them for. IF we were to put his stupid salary at £10k a week (could be more, fecked if I know!) that would still be half a million a year we'd be better off. The man is a complete tit, we wanted rid of him last year and he only stayed as we were paying more than what Blackpool were willing to pay....who is likely to scupper the deal? Not Leicester thats for ****ing sure

If he wants to leave and Blackpool want to buy him, then we seem to have the whip hand and our desire to get rid of him should not be allowed to cloud our judgement when it comes to negotiating a fee. I wonder how long it will be before he puts in a transfer request.

If he wants to leave and Blackpool want to buy him, then we seem to have the whip hand and our desire to get rid of him should not be allowed to cloud our judgement when it comes to negotiating a fee. I wonder how long it will be before he puts in a transfer request.

You're kidding? I really do try to see the best in people but, it has been obvious for some time that, whilst Campbell feels some slight (real or imaginary) and does not want to play here, he will not put at risk his wage, or part of any transfer fee.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Bournemouth00
2Arsenal00
3Aston Villa00
4Brentford00
5Brighton00
6Chelsea00
7Palace00
8Everton00