Standing for Tigers fans?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Joe_Fox said:
leicester_til_i_die said:
Joe_Fox said:
a) the pitch, it'll be awful, truly awful and no amount of empty promises for 'fibre/grass technological advances' will prevent the pitch from being a complete quagmire come christmas

A - is a poor argument

Why is it a poor argument? I would rather watch football played on a football pitch rather than on a rugby pitch.

It will still be a football pitch, with the technology out theres loads of options, we could have it like the mellenium stadium, the pitch is in creates that can be changed at any time. Plus the pitch argument is getting boring!

leicester_til_i_die said:
I say bring terracing for all, it would solve a problem of people who want to stand whether the seats are there or not.

But if we wanted to stand we'd either have to get relegated, or get the government to change their mind about standing. I think relegation is more likely.

(In reality I'm not even sure we'd be allowed to stand if we got relegated, I don't think they allow clubs with all seater stadiums to change back to standing)

Dunc said:
What are the reasons for being against it though? Apart from the loss of identity (Leicester City are a bankrupt company so quite what identity you feel that name has i'm not sure) and shite about the knackered pitch I can't see what the problem is.

It seems to me that the majority of people against the groundshare are the Leicester City fans who don't like rugby. Thats fair enough, but when there are no significant reasons to stop the share other than that then I'm all for it.

By the way, do you really think that by sharing our clubs stadium with a rugby team, that we are selling our soul? I would have thought if that was the case then you would have been against the move from Filbert Street, surely a soul selling move if there is one. Bulldozing 115+ yrs of history to line the corporate pocket seems more of an issue than cutting our debts and having some 'egg chasers' on our hallowed turf once a fortnight.

We aren't bankrupt :wink:

webmaster said:
Joe_Fox said:
a) the pitch, it'll be awful, truly awful and no amount of empty promises for 'fibre/grass technological advances' will prevent the pitch from being a complete quagmire come christmas

That's my main concern about the stadium share.

They play rugby at Reading's ground, so it will be interesting to see what their pitch is like on Saturday.
Does anyone know if they're using the same kind of pitch that is proposed for our place?

Not sure Webbo, but remember Wigan? That was crap. I think the pitch issue is more than just a concern, it's one of the fundamental elements that separates football to rugby. In rugby the ball hardly touches the ground (and is egg-shaped anyway so when it does it becomes a lottery) whereas in football the ball is on the ground most of the time. A bobbly pitch (bobbly is a kind word - it'll be more like a ploughed field) will ruin any chance of playing decent football. We may as well get Micky back because hoof is all we'll be able to do.

Joe_Fox said:
webmaster said:
Joe_Fox said:

They play rugby at Reading's ground, so it will be interesting to see what their pitch is like on Saturday.
Does anyone know if they're using the same kind of pitch that is proposed for our place?

Not sure Webbo, but remember Wigan? That was crap.

There are also plenty of crap pitches where rugby isn't played, and apparently Wigans is crap because they use a heavy roller on it, which you're not supposed to do with that kind of pitch.

That's why I want to see other pitches where rugby is played, to see if it really is possible to have a decent surface.

Our own pitch wasn't great on Saturday, lots of bare patches and sand all over the place. So if the ground share means more money can be spent on the pitch, we may actually end up with a better surface to play pretty football on.

Joe_Fox said:
webmaster said:
Joe_Fox said:

Not sure Webbo, but remember Wigan? That was crap. I think the pitch issue is more than just a concern, it's one of the fundamental elements that separates football to rugby. In rugby the ball hardly touches the ground (and is egg-shaped anyway so when it does it becomes a lottery) whereas in football the ball is on the ground most of the time. A bobbly pitch (bobbly is a kind word - it'll be more like a ploughed field) will ruin any chance of playing decent football. We may as well get Micky back because hoof is all we'll be able to do.

We haven't played decent football in years so it would probably work to our advantage!!!

I'm really sick to death of saying this so I went back and found a thread that has the facts as I wrote them a few months back;

From discussions with a high ranking LCFC official I am assured that we would and could indeed one day own the stadium if we carry on doing exactly what we are doing now. A run in the prem would make this process even quicker.

This would ensure that LCFC would 100% own their home
This means that any money from non sporting events would go 100% to LCFC
LCFC would always own their home and it wouldn't have to be rebranded. Rebranding WILL involve removing unique elements of what makes us LCFC so that the stadium is non offensive to the tigers. I fail to see how doing this will not affect our identity and our already bored/apathetic home support.
The stadium will be owned 50/50, this is a big problem if Tigers and LCFC can't agree...it means deadlock...bad thing!

By signing up to this we will never have 100% it will always be 50%. I was told by this high ranking official that we will also NEVER own the stadium...only half, half the profits, half of all that is re-branded. And we won't even own that 50% for many many years...WE WILL CONTINUE TO PAY A MORTGAGE, because we don't have the money to buy our half.

If we continue as we are we will one day own the stadium for ourselves...yes it will be blue and white...and no that isn't the most important thing...but it is a factor, it is important, and it has been for 120 years (as the club would for some reason like us to know this year)

Its a Quick fix, and it means long term problems. You may one day want a home for LCFC, but by then it will be too late. Please think about that my friends. :wink:

SilverFox said:
I'm really sick to death of saying this so I went back and found a thread that has the facts as I wrote them a few months back;

From discussions with a high ranking LCFC official I am assured that we would and could indeed one day own the stadium if we carry on doing exactly what we are doing now. A run in the prem would make this process even quicker.

This would ensure that LCFC would 100% own their home
This means that any money from non sporting events would go 100% to LCFC
LCFC would always own their home and it wouldn't have to be rebranded. Rebranding WILL involve removing unique elements of what makes us LCFC so that the stadium is non offensive to the tigers. I fail to see how doing this will not affect our identity and our already bored/apathetic home support.
The stadium will be owned 50/50, this is a big problem if Tigers and LCFC can't agree...it means deadlock...bad thing!

By signing up to this we will never have 100% it will always be 50%. I was told by this high ranking official that we will also NEVER own the stadium...only half, half the profits, half of all that is re-branded. And we won't even own that 50% for many many years...WE WILL CONTINUE TO PAY A MORTGAGE, because we don't have the money to buy our half.

If we continue as we are we will one day own the stadium for ourselves...yes it will be blue and white...and no that isn't the most important thing...but it is a factor, it is important, and it has been for 120 years (as the club would for some reason like us to know this year)

Its a Quick fix, and it means long term problems. You may one day want a home for LCFC, but by then it will be too late. Please think about that my friends. :wink:

Best post I've read for a while, you've hit the nail on the head there Silver, great stuff.

SilverFox said:
Dunc said:
What are the reasons for being against it though? Apart from the loss of identity (Leicester City are a bankrupt company so quite what identity you feel that name has i'm not sure) and shite about the knackered pitch I can't see what the problem is.

It seems to me that the majority of people against the groundshare are the Leicester City fans who don't like rugby. Thats fair enough, but when there are no significant reasons to stop the share other than that then I'm all for it.

By the way, do you really think that by sharing our clubs stadium with a rugby team, that we are selling our soul? I would have thought if that was the case then you would have been against the move from Filbert Street, surely a soul selling move if there is one. Bulldozing 115+ yrs of history to line the corporate pocket seems more of an issue than cutting our debts and having some 'egg chasers' on our hallowed turf once a fortnight.

We aren't bankrupt :wink:

Leicester City are bankrupt, not sure what the exisitng company is called but i'm sure its not Leicester City, i might be wrong though.

Just on the pitch point, why can Wycombe have a good pitch where Wasps play and yet the joint finances of Leicester Tigers and us can't do the same.

The pitch point is an easy argument to make, but a non starter.

For me the most important issue is the long term SUCCESS of LCFC.

As far as I can see the groundshare gives us the opportunity to become more financially successful and hence gives us the best chance of achieving greater football success, given that football has become so much about money. Hence my support.

p.s. Nice to see that the level of debate has improved.

"Long term" is a relevant point here

From what I recall, Uncle Tim said that if we remained a Prem club we could own the whole of the Walkers Stadium within ten years
If we remained outside the Prem (or continued to yo-yo) it would be double that - but we could still own our ground outright

That's long term stability

Under this deal the most we could ever do (again once we have paid off the loan to finance the LCFC side of the groundshare) would be to own 50% of the ground - and everything that goes with it

That's a blinkered focus on a short term gain, with a long term penalty of losing half the ground

Uncle Tim - the man who sold one of LCFC's kidneys.

homer said:
That's a blinkered focus on a short term gain, with a long term penalty of losing half the ground

But if we own half the ground, we only pay half the running costs, so even in the long term we could benefit.

We might only get half the non football revenue, but if the Tigers don't share with us, they'll end up being a competitor in the non-football business and could take half our business anyway.

if the Tigers don't share with us, they'll end up being a competitor in the non-football business and could take half our business anyway.

Do you genuinely believe that is a legitimate reason for going ahead with this project ?

Really ?

highland fox said:
Can anyone buy a stake in one of those Kidneys?...........

That's very clever highland

homer said:
if the Tigers don't share with us, they'll end up being a competitor in the non-football business and could take half our business anyway.

Do you genuinely believe that is a legitimate reason for going ahead with this project ?

Really ?

I believe financially it will be a good thing in the short, medium and long term. I don't understand how anyone could not see the financial benefits.

I believe the identitiy thing is a load of bollocks. It's really only 'our' stadium on matchdays, and we won't be playing on the same day as the egg chasers.

My only concern is the pitch - and if Reading's pitch is OK on Saturday that might help me to make my mind up.

I believe the identitiy thing is a load of bollocks. It's really only 'our' stadium on matchdays

No it's not

It's ours all day every day - when you drive past it, when you take your kids to look round it, when you go to the shop, when you go to buy tickets, when you go to the family days in the summer, even when you just talk about it.

It was even our home when my son was born in Leicester Royal, and I picked him up and pointed to it out of the window and told him he'd be playing there one day. I won't be doing that when it's the feckin "Leicester Sport For All Arena"

It's the home of LCFC, and the home of football - and it will cease to be either of those things when this disgrace goes ahead.

It will become some shite bland non-specific "sports" stadium, and that will be an absolute feckin' tragedy

homer said:
I believe the identitiy thing is a load of bollocks. It's really only 'our' stadium on matchdays

No it's not

It's ours all day every day - when you drive past it, when you take your kids to look round it, when you go to the shop, when you go to buy tickets, when you go to the family days in the summer, even when you just talk about it.

It was even our home when my son was born in Leicester Royal, and I picked him up and pointed to it out of the window and told him he'd be playing there one day. I won't be doing that when it's the feckin "Leicester Sport For All Arena"

It's the home of LCFC, and the home of football - and it will cease to be either of those things when this disgrace goes ahead.

At Filbert Street there was very little on the outside of the stadium that gave it a Leicester City identity. I'm sure the Walkers Stadium will have more LCFC 'identity' on the outside on non matchdays than Filbert Street ever had. But it will have Tigers stuff too.

You'll still be able to see it's our ground when you drive past, you'll still be able to talk about it as the home of Leicester City.
The point I made before was that it doesn't matter what goes on inside the stadium when we're not playing - because it doesn't make any difference to the average supporter.
The ticket office will still be the LCFC ticket office, the shop will still be the LCFC shop.

If there was a loss of identity it was when the stadium was named after a sponsor.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670
8Middlesbro4669