Stephen Clemence

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does anybody know if Clemence is back training fully yet? Couldn't see him in any of the pictures on the OS.

It doesn't seem like he's going to play much this season - if, as it appears, he's not in pre-season training he's going to have a lot of catching up to do in terms of fitness when/if he comes back from injury. Add to that the fact that he's only got a year left on his contract. Don't be surprised if he doesn't play for us again.

Ive not officially heard hes not in training i assume hes ok. Not heard of any absentees (even Tunch is jogging)

Last edited:
Ive not officially heard hes not in training i assume hes ok. Not heard of any absentees (even Tunch is jogging)

I would have thought that, were everything to be OK, we would have had a picture of him in training on the 'First Day' page: after all, he's been out of action for over a year and, isn't he still the club captain?

Would be like a new signing to have him back next season, if we can get him fit I think he could be key next season.

Still no confirmaton (oficially) is he back in full training? (surely someone has been down to the training ground

If fit then I think he'd be more than useful to have in the squad as I still don't think we've seen anywhere near his best in a City shirt. Lets face it, he was in the shittest squad in living memory and half decent players can't carry the rest. I would hope we'll have him back to something like his Birmingham City form but I doubt it'll happen as it seems he's truely fecked.

If fit then I think he'd be more than useful to have in the squad as I still don't think we've seen anywhere near his best in a City shirt. Lets face it, he was in the shittest squad in living memory and half decent players can't carry the rest. I would hope we'll have him back to something like his Birmingham City form but I doubt it'll happen as it seems he's truely fecked.

On his showing with City, I know which of these two groups I would put Clemence in.

He's a duffer, so his fitness is only relevant if it prompts some other poor mug to take him off our hands

Sadly I suspect we are stuck with him on the payroll 'til his contract runs out next summer - unless we find some way to pay him off

The DJ/Clemence transfers looked sensible at the time.

What a delusion that was. We were well & truly stuffed by BCFC. Both over-achieved for a season, this was recognised by Birmingham City and they wisely cashed in and we got screwed.

What a delusion that was. We were well & truly stuffed by BCFC. Both over-achieved for a season, this was recognised by Birmingham City and they wisely cashed in and we got screwed.

Payback for Muzzy

IIRC Clemence was out of contract and they wanted to keep him but couldn't guarantee him first team football in the Prem, despite him being their player of the season (so we weren't stuffed for a transfer fee at least). DJ... well, you're right there.

I still think Clemence could be half decent again. He's no world beater but could definitely "do a job" in this league... IF he was fit. He was no worse than the likes of Howard and Oakley the season before last but unlike those two hasn't had the chance to "put it right" in a shit league under a decent manager.

Last edited:
IIRC Clemence was out of contract and they wanted to keep him but couldn't guarantee him first team football in the Prem, despite him being their player of the season (so we weren't stuffed for a transfer fee at least). DJ... well, you're right there.

I still think Clemence could be half decent again. He's no world beater but could definitely "do a job" in this league... IF he was fit. He was no worse than the likes of Howard and Oakley the season before last but unlike those two hasn't had the chance to "put it right" in a shit league under a decent manager.

We paid about £700k for him.

Perhaps he could do a job, if he's fit, but with the long-term injury and the fact he's only got 12 months left, I see him going the same way as Kisnorbo to be honest.

You don't recall correctly; Clemence was not out of contract and cost us £1M.

Everything I hear he suggests that he will never again be fit enough to have the chance to redeem himself.

We paid about £700k for him.
Ah. In that case, they saw us coming... actually, to be fair, it was still a good bit of business for us on paper... just rubbish on grass.

with the long-term injury and the fact he's only got 12 months left, I see him going the same way as Kisnorbo to be honest.
Seems likely, but there's a whole season to go before that inevitably happens.

if the crab never plays for city again i'd not really be shocked

In the disaster of 2007/8 I thought Clemence was our best midfielder ahead of Oakley (who was our best midfielder last season IMO). If Clemence is properly fit, then given the benefit of working under a real football manager, he'll give us better service this season than anyone we could buy in the market for £750k.

Agreed. I've posted this before but people are being too harsh on Clemence. He underperformed like every member of the squad in our relegation season.

Unlike Fryatt, Howard, Oakley et al he didn't have this season to re-establish his reputation. If his fitness means he won't return or if he does he'll be below par it'll be a great loss for the club. He certainly doesn't deserve the derision.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670
8Middlesbro4669