Steve Cotterill...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Err I don't think the likes of Wenger, Furguson, Hiddink and Mourinho will be too interested in the Leicester job, I may be wrong, but I doubt it.

IMO Cotterill would be a good apointment, he has established Burnley as a mid-table team on limited resources. Given backing by MM, I can see him turning us in the right direction at long, long last.

Oh FFS that isn't what I meant and you know it. I just don't think that SC is the right person to take us forward. Yes. OK, he has established Burnley as a mid table team, and it's only taken him three and a half years to do it.

I don't want to be established as a mid table team, the current incumbents could probably do that, I just don't see that he has the wherewithall to take us to the Premiership.

Cotterill is a half decent manager playing the most boring brand of football possible. Not an inspiring choice IMO and I also think we can - and should - do better.

Unfortunately, and I hope I'm wrong, recent evidence indicates that we can't do better.

My first thoughts on hearing the news the news of Cotterill's departure (I was at work so didn't hear till 10PM) was "hmm Milan has just said he might not announce a new manager until after Saturday's game; Has some jiggery pokery been going on? Is he on the way here?

Might be a decent manager, dunno. Didn't realise he has signed akinbadbuy twice, but he must be alright if he made a profit on him! Don't really know enough about him to decide if he is a good manager or not. Can't be any worse than the chaps who have been mentioned though.

I recall when he first got to Burnley, they were going great guns and certainly playing more attractive footie than I've seen at the Walkers for an age. Why it's gone pear shaped now I don't know, but he's a good young coach who I think will do well if backed by a sprinkling of Milan's wonga.

I recall when he first got to Burnley, they were going great guns and certainly playing more attractive footie than I've seen at the Walkers for an age. Why it's gone pear shaped now I don't know, but he's a good young coach who I think will do well if backed by a sprinkling of Milan's wonga.

:038: Truth is he has taken the club as far as he can, he was interviewed on local radio prior to Tuesday nights game vs Hull and you can tell he was growing increasingly frustrated and basically said I don't want to put the club down but we cannot compete for or attract the better players.

Steve "fcuking" Cotterill ?!?!?!?!

I fcuking hope not, boring cnut of the highest order.

:038: Truth is he has taken the club as far as he can, he was interviewed on local radio prior to Tuesday nights game vs Hull and you can tell he was growing increasingly frustrated and basically said I don't want to put the club down but we cannot compete for or attract the better players.

I'll bet he can't wait to get out on the pitch with the likes of Stearman, Newton and Odhiambo and start moulding them into a premiership outfit. :icon_conf

Leicester may make move for Steve Cotterill

Milan Mandaric, the Leicester City chairman, seeking stability as he pursues his fifth manager of the calendar year, may turn to Steve Cotterill, the longest-serving manager in the Coca-Cola Championship until he left Burnley by mutual consent yesterday.

Burnley visit the Walkers Stadium tomorrow, with Steve Davis, the assistant manager, in temporary control. Cotterill, who was in charge at Turf Moor for 3½ years, will not be in attendance.

Cotterill, 43, has planned a short break and has indicated that he will soon be looking for a job at a club with greater resources. It is believed that Mandaric has not made contact with Cotterill but the Leicester chairman does retain good links with Harry Redknapp, the Portsmouth manager with whom he enjoyed an up-and-down relationship while chairman at Fratton Park. Redknapp at one time wanted Cotterill as his assistant.

Cotterill is well thought of at Leicester, having worked as a coach under Micky Adams and he rejected the opportunity to succeed Craig Levein in February of last year.

Burnley have won only once in ten matches but Cotterill’s record since he arrived at Turf Moor in June 2004 has consolidated a reputation that soared as he took Cheltenham Town to two promotions and impressed while briefly at Stoke City before an ill-fated venture as assistant to Howard Wilkinson at Sunderland.

Leicester’s greater resources could appeal to Cotterill once he has taken stock.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/football/football_league/article2836553.ece

Leicester may make move for Steve Cotterill

Milan Mandaric, the Leicester City chairman, seeking stability as he pursues his fifth manager of the calendar year, may turn to Steve Cotterill, the longest-serving manager in the Coca-Cola Championship until he left Burnley by mutual consent yesterday.

Burnley visit the Walkers Stadium tomorrow, with Steve Davis, the assistant manager, in temporary control. Cotterill, who was in charge at Turf Moor for 3½ years, will not be in attendance.

Cotterill, 43, has planned a short break and has indicated that he will soon be looking for a job at a club with greater resources. It is believed that Mandaric has not made contact with Cotterill but the Leicester chairman does retain good links with Harry Redknapp, the Portsmouth manager with whom he enjoyed an up-and-down relationship while chairman at Fratton Park. Redknapp at one time wanted Cotterill as his assistant.

Cotterill is well thought of at Leicester, having worked as a coach under Micky Adams and he rejected the opportunity to succeed Craig Levein in February of last year.

Burnley have won only once in ten matches but Cotterill’s record since he arrived at Turf Moor in June 2004 has consolidated a reputation that soared as he took Cheltenham Town to two promotions and impressed while briefly at Stoke City before an ill-fated venture as assistant to Howard Wilkinson at Sunderland.

Leicester’s greater resources could appeal to Cotterill once he has taken stock.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/football/football_league/article2836553.ece

The Times were the first one's to put his name forward a few day's ago, are they MM's new mouthpiece?

Steve "fcuking" Cotterill ?!?!?!?!

I fcuking hope not, boring cnut of the highest order.

All true.

But I really think this is where we are - and we may have to live with it. It would be a boring appointment but I think this is partly because our expectations with the take over have proved unrealistic.

Perhaps a solid manager providing some much needed stability is as good as it gets for the time being.

In a different thread, someone asked,"Are our expectations too great?"

I remember when Cotterill looked secure at Burnley and was part of the group considered too good to come to Leicester. I really suspect that some people would complain that we were getting a reject if MM were to persuade Arsene Wenger to leave Arsenal.
We are only the bees knees in the eyes of our fans: get used to it.

I think people on here have selective memories. We would've been happy with Cotterill when he was offered the post before, and the reasons for that remain; he's a good young coach. Good coaches don't guarantee success at a club, Jewell at Shef Wed being an example. It's a start, but the chairman needs to back them and things need to click on the pitch for them. Everyone waffles on here like it's an exact science, spouting the percentage wins. All this overlooks the attributes of a man who has potential.

In a different thread, someone asked,"Are our expectations too great?"

I remember when Cotterill looked secure at Burnley and was part of the group considered too good to come to Leicester.

We are only the bees knees in the eyes of our fans: get used to it.

Exactly. I fully admit that Cotterill is not what I wanted. But you don't always get what you want - and I think nothing could be more obvious than that our expectations are too high. We have to catch up with the reality that we have been a struggling championship outfit for a long time now - and at times we have looked as if we might sink even lower. I'm a bit surprised that the attendances have held up so well - and I think these have somewhat masked how ordinary we are.

Exactly. I fully admit that Cotterill is not what I wanted. But you don't always get what you want - and I think nothing could be more obvious than that our expectations are too high. We have to catch up with the reality that we have been a struggling championship outfit for a long time now - and at times we have looked as if we might sink even lower. I'm a bit surprised that the attendances have held up so well - and I think these have somewhat masked how ordinary we are.

I can see you're depressed from how you talk of us as ordinary, and I understand it. But I'm sure you'd agree that the only part of this still great club we support that is ordinary is what is happening on the pitch. Everything else remains extraordinary to me, especially as I look in from the periphery now I live down south. Both for the Fulham cup game last year, the Chelsea this, and for several of the away matches I caught, opposition fans have consistently commented that our following and support is second to none.

We are the club, and that never changes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670
8Middlesbro4669