Steve Howard Appreciation Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Absolute class this season, should have been playing much more in recent seasons to be honest, what a legend.

effort can't be questioned. No pace, few goals, few assists, slows us down in comparison to the ability of other teams to attack at pace.
Not a legend, part of our problem of converting ascendency into goals.

effort can't be questioned. No pace, few goals, few assists, slows us down in comparison to the ability of other teams to attack at pace.
Not a legend, part of our problem of converting ascendency into goals.

Mmmm wonder how many goals he has provided for us over the years. You talk some crap, who should we have who can play the target man and be pacey and score goals and come and suck you off at half time?

Get a grip and look at what standard of football and league we are actually in.

Mmmm wonder how many goals he has provided for us over the years. You talk some crap, who should we have who can play the target man and be pacey and score goals and come and suck you off at half time?

Get a grip and look at what standard of football and league we are actually in.

we could have almost any of the other strikers in the division that i listed in my earlier post, all of whom are better than howard both on goals per game, assists and not having the pace of a three toed sloth.

it's nothing personal, he's just emblematic of the problems we've had as a club since we signed him. accepting of mediocrity because it's so long since we saw what good players actually play/look like in a city shirt.

howard wouldn't have even got near the promotion side that micky adams had - and so why do we think he's so awesome now?

i just don't understand it, he's rubbish.....

Last edited:
we could have almost any of the other strikers in the division that i listed in my earlier post, all of whom are better than howard both on goals per game, assists and not having the pace of a three toed sloth.

it's nothing personal, he's just emblematic of the problems we've had as a club since we signed him. accepting of mediocrity because it's so long since we saw what good players actually play/look like in a city shirt.

howard wouldn't have even got near the promotion side that micky adams had - and so why do we think he's so awesome now?

i just don't understand it, he's rubbish.....

I just cannot explain Howards abilities and contributions to someone who obviously knows **** all about football, he has been one of the most important players we have had over the last 3 seasons and I remember him getting stick at one point throughout that spell and finding myself bewildered at the lack of knowledge and vision of some city fans, my own family included.

His role has been vital, his massive impact in the play-off second leg was unfortunately undone by a moment of sheer madness, otherwise he would have been a complete hero.

One of the finest professionals to wear the shirt recently.

16 goals in 81 championship/cup city appearances.
did slightly better in league one
gets booked a lot and throws his arms about

trying hard and not being very good may make you a great professional, but doesn't make you a really good footballer.

you can have players like howard all day long, but you'll never get premier league football

don't be so narrow minded as to think that your love affair with one player means that other peoples opinions aren't equally valid.

trust me - if we had bought in a player like jason roberts you wouldn't have given howard a second though, and neither would anyone else.

Last edited:
16 goals in 81 championship/cup city appearances.
did slightly better in league one
gets booked a lot and throws his arms about

trying hard and not being very good may make you a great professional, but doesn't make you a really good footballer.

you can have players like howard all day long, but you'll never get premier league football

don't be so narrow minded as to think that your love affair with one player means that other peoples opinions aren't equally valid.

trust me - if we had bought in a player like jason roberts you wouldn't have given howard a second though, and neither would anyone else.

Don't be naive enough to think I have a love affair with a player because I can see his qualities. If we had an entire team of players who have the ability but not the balls we would be in a similar place, a balance is important and every team needs a few gritty players.

You completely ignore his influence on other players, his enthusiasm is a fine example for the younger 'quicker' players you seem to have a love affair with. I for one am glad we have his experience and keenness on and off the pitch and it seems SGE is as well, but im sure you know better than him as well.

he starts with him on the bench more often than not, and will do post january even more.
so no, i think the manager is probably of the same opinion that most other people are.
we'll use him when 'playing football' hasn't worked.

remember, howard was extremely peripheral when we played so well last season.

he gets put back in at the start of this season and we are back to where we were when we got relegated.

only one factor, but i think his influence, as positive as it may be on effort, is equally negative on standard/type of football.

it's like when crouch is on for england.

we might get the odd goal at the far stick. but we play like shite and could never beat a decent side starting with him.....

Last season, Howard didn't make a start from the 1-1 draw with Ipswich on 10th January, in which he scored, all the way until the 3-0 loss at West Brom of the 2nd April. After this, he started 4 of the last 7 games (he missed three after he was sent off against Watford). In these 4 games, he scored in 2 and then had THAT game against Cardiff.

Leicester won 10, and drew 6 out of the 19 games that Howard started last season. The losses coming against eventual champions Newcastle, runners-up West Brom, and the biggest club in the league Preston.

sparky79 said:
we might get the odd goal at the far stick. but we play like shite and could never beat a decent side starting with him.....

Didn't we just beat the "in-form" team Derby with Howard in the starting line-up? And last-seasons' form team Cardiff, in their own back yard?

Hmmm...wasn't the case on Saturday versus an in form Derby. Nor when everyone was shitting their pants come Easter and Pearson w*s*ly put his most senior player back on the side for the run-in. Despite what some say he's actually quite a technically gifted football whose vision is up there with Wellens for a simple first time ball.

I just find it sad some folk seem to focus all their disappointment on the club into two or three players. It's the act of a thicko to put it honestly. Admittely I am no fan of Gallagher but his recent form is difficult to criticise. Whether it be Fryatt or Howard or Wellens (for a bit) who've suffered stick recently.

Leicester City are an average Championship side, they are average Championship players.

Last edited:
I just cannot explain Howards abilities and contributions to someone who obviously knows **** all about football, he has been one of the most important players we have had over the last 3 seasons and I remember him getting stick at one point throughout that spell and finding myself bewildered at the lack of knowledge and vision of some city fans, my own family included.

His role has been vital, his massive impact in the play-off second leg was unfortunately undone by a moment of sheer madness, otherw*s* he would have been a complete hero.

One of the finest professionals to wear the shirt recently.

:038:

he starts with him on the bench more often than not, and will do post january even more.
so no, i think the manager is probably of the same opinion that most other people are.
we'll use him when 'playing football' hasn't worked.

remember, howard was extremely peripheral when we played so well last season.

he gets put back in at the start of this season and we are back to where we were when we got relegated.

only one factor, but i think his influence, as positive as it may be on effort, is equally negative on standard/type of football.

it's like when crouch is on for england.

So which decent side did we beat last Saturday that were not only 4th in the league but were top of the form guide with Howard starting?

Last edited:
Sparkys point, I think, is that we won't get out of this division and even if we did would stand no chance in the prem if Howard is a central figure in the side.

I don't think thats a completely crazy thought. Even in his prime he was found to be one of the worst strikers statistically in premiership history.

And don't get me wrong, he's been a good servant for the club and deserves a great deal of praise for his performances. Certainly, younger fans probably adore him. But for me he simply isn't the long term answer.

And don't get me wrong, he's been a good servant for the club and deserves a great deal of praise for his performances. Certainly, younger fans probably adore him. But for me he simply isn't the long term answer.

I do not think anyone believes he is the long term answer, but he is certainly good enough to help get us to the play-offs.

Steve Howard. Leicester City always needs Steves.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670
8Middlesbro4669