Steve Howard

Status
Not open for further replies.
Forget Dodd, saw enough of him last season..............
ken-dodd.jpg

(1) So does Elvis, would you rather have him?

(2) Says it all really! :icon_roll

Im not a fan of Fryatt really, but when on form his is a good striker, same applies with DJ and Howard (all of whom made their names in this division). In my opinion, for what its worth, is give them a try, unless rediculas money is offered, if it works, great! saves us getting someone in who will need time to settle. If it doesnt work, then look elsewhere starting with the reserves/academy. I feel that if they all knuckle down, they will score quite a few.

The problem is fryatt hasnt been on form for 2 seasons. Of course I would give fryatt a run in the team tho, but to say he has been anything other than poor for the last 2 seasons is very generous.

One of the problems I had with Howard was the fact that it took him so long to get into the opposition area. This was particularly apparent when that Etuhu fella played. The pacey winger would skip down the line, whip in a cross, and Howard would be just about trotting across the halfway line. The likes of Gradel and Dyer will create these scenarios constantly.

Now, if Howard is going to get properly fit and be up for it, maybe he'll make an effort to move about a bit this season. Ditto Fryatt whose mobility last season was also way below the standard required. I've seen with my own eyes that Fryatt and Howard are capable of much more than the impression they left us with at the end of last season. It will be a measure of them as professionals, and also the coaching staff, whether they can reassert themselves as decent players.

Campbell has the mobility when fit. Unfortunately, he is a sicknote player who will be out injured regularly, as he has been throughout his professional career. He also appears to be a player who spurts out a little form now and again. This is simply not good enough for a regular starter. Hayles is alright but is taking a place a younger forward should have.

I think we've still got way too many forwards for this level. Howard, Hayles, Fryatt, Campbell, Chambers, Odihambo, Sappleton, Kee. I'd keep only two of the senior four because I'd like to think that Chambers is ready for League One at least, and he has pace. Sappleton and Odihambo would be okay cover forwards too. Kee should also get a glimmer of the first team this season.

If there is a serious offer for Campbell, sell. He's on good wages and simply hasn't demonstrated reliability at any stage. Hayles should be offered on a free. We then work with Howard and Fryatt supported by the kids. If the senior ones continue to be shite, we'll have to turn to the loan market for support.

Have to also mention that I'm absolutely delighted that Hume isn't part of this equation at all. We've got a far better chance of sorting out a decent forward pairing without his presence in the squad. A non forward, non winger, non midfielder, just messes with balance and organisation. Barnsley are welcome to him. Just as players like Fenton and Gunnlaugsson in the past just didn't fit into the team despite flashes of quality, Hume is someone who will never quite find a future.

Some good points...particularly about Hume. But i would keep Campbell and wouldn't be happy with two senior forwards and a load of unproven kids as back up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670
8Middlesbro4669