Steve Lovell

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nobdy's too good for us YV!

Sounds promising, even for someone from the SPL

This is what some of the fans on the Official Dundee site have been saying.

"Will be sorely missed, especially next season when he would have ripped apart those defences with his pace, but alas the reality of relegation kicks in.

Plenty of goals, effort and i wish him all the best. If he could add a decnt first touch to his game he could play at a higher level as he has great stamina and good attitude and good pace."

"Duffy's best ever piece of business. Lovell's is one of the top five Dee strikers from the last 25 years for me. It would have been great to keep him for next season but if he wants to go we should let him play at a higher level.

All the best to the lad. He's been a great servant. Let's hope we get the chance to see him in Dark Blue again once we're back in the Prem."

Basically they love him, and are gutted to see him leave.

sounds like a really good signing, big strong and powerful, seems like the kinda of guy who if used right could really cause fizzy defences problems

Assuming he does sign, who do you think will be our first choice strikers?

I still think Levein will go for Connolly and De Vries as first choice.

i agree, i think levein really has faith in de vries and cant see him dropping connolly after his form at the end of last season, though hopefully lovell will be breathing down their necks so they know theyll have to perform

Sounds like Lovell would be a great impact player to bring on after 65mins or so with the sort of pace he is supposed to have.

I could also see Connolly and Lovell playing together if we are up against a big lumbering defence (like ours used to be).

MKFox said:
SteveLovell.jpg

.....Is this the right one? seem a bit old at 45.....:)

To be fair the guy is only 44 - and a 44 year old 5'9"" striker (converted from full back) is just the back up we need to MDV.

Babylon said:
This is a Dundee fans view of Lovell!!!!!...

"He's astonishingly fast, which sometimes causes defenders to panic. They think they've loads of time on the ball, then suddenly he's harrassing them. Gets a few penalties that way, nicking the ball off a defenders who then swipes him down. Decent control, and not a bad finisher IMO.

The classic Lovell goal was last December against Celtic. He chased a nothing ball which was going through for the keeper and a defender to clear up. He arrived so fast he took them by surprise, won the ball, then lobbed the covering defender from a very narrow angle to give us a point in a 2-2 draw. He scored the other goal too."

That is CL all over. Easy to see why he is being hopefully signed.:) :) :icon_lol:

I think CL has finally found the last piece for the jigsaw, If he succeeds in signing Lovell we will be searious contenders for the play off's.

mad biker said:
The Lovell deal should be OK, still trying for Gerbrand too !

Good stuff MB, is it true that Gerrbrand has told Hammerby he wants to come to us and to sort the deal out?

Any news on Obrien?

Lovell ponders move

Steve Lovell will spent the weekend deciding on a move to Leicester City after the Coca Cola Championship side agreed terms with Dundee for his transfer. Lovell asked for the weekend to think over the move after meeting bosses at the Midlands club on Friday. Chief Executive Peter Marr told Dundee FC Online on Friday afternoon that should Lovell move then he will be the only member of the current squad who won’t be at Dens when the season gets under way after the rest of the squad agreed terms for the new season.

Thanks MB, hopefully Lovell will put pen to paper as he sounds the right type of player, he has the electrifying pace we have been so sadly lacking and he has a decent scoring record which is promising, also at 6 feet he could partner Connolly or play with a target man so provides good options and alternitives.

Although I havent really heard of Gerbrand prior to this week, it would be excellent to sign him, from what I have read and heard about him he would be an excellent addition and Levein appears to have seen something special in him.

Levein stated at the end of the season, that he would be looking at bringing in some youngsters who had been released from premiership clubs to fill the talent shortage at youth level, I was wondering if Timpano fits that bill and whether these type of players if they were to be recruited, would be in addition to the 3 players CL is looking to bring in.

Leicester Mercury Today said:
10:30 - 09 July 2005 Leicester City expect to complete the signing of striker Steve Lovell from Dundee on Monday after the player went through medical checks yesterday.

The player had to return to Scotland straight after talks with City boss Craig Levein but, all being well, he will sign a contract on the eve of the club's trip to Norway.

Also, young Swedish defender Peter Gerrbrand has issued an ultimatum to his club Hammarsby that he will join City with or without their agreement on a fee.

The player and the club are at loggerheads over an agreed price tag with Hammarsby apparently moving the goalposts at the last moment, but Gerr-brand is determined to become the next addition to Levein's growing new squad.

The Lovell deal is further down the line as City have beaten competition from Aberdeen for the Buckinghamshire-born striker's signature and agreed an undisclosed fee with his club.

Aberdeen had offered £175,000 and Dundee chief executive Peter Marr said: "We have agreed terms and it is a decent fee considering the market, better than Aberdeen offered."

Modest though it might seem, the fee may have saved Dundee from administration and they are relieved to have cashed in on their only saleable commodity and one of their higher earners - in the last year of his contract.

Lovell started his career with Bournemouth and Portsmouth, followed by loan spells at Exeter, Sheffield United and QPR, before a three-year spell in Scottish football.

City, meanwhile, see their first pre-season action tomorrow when they face Kettering Town at Rockingham Road (3.0).

The Poppies expect to include the much-travelled striker Roy Essandoh, the man who scored the fateful FA Cup sixth-round winner for Wycombe at Filbert Street back in March 2002.

The City squad has not been named but is expected to be based on the younger prospects.

City have finally confirmed their pre-season friendly against Inter Milan will be played on Monday, July 25. Tickets are now on sale.

All sounds good to me, like the sound of both these players and lovell has passed his medical, his signing must be a formality now!! :icon_cool :icon_cool :icon_cool Although it is a bill anderson article so any of it could be a figment of his imagination.:eek:

A few more opinions from Dundee fans:

"He is no Maradonna but he will score you goals. A striker who prefers to run on to the ball trather than gather, turn and take on defenders. His pace (as others have mentioned) is fast and if Craig plays him as a striker to get in behind the oppositions defence I think he will do quite well."

"He and Mark DeVries should make a good team. Lovell could do with someone with a bit of height to knock down balls to him in the box. If he joins you, you will have a good striker there. I would love it if he stayed, and he will be missed if he goes."

"He has been good for us and its difficult to see how he'll be replaced. Hard worker and gives his all. I'd have wanted him to stay and help us get back up."

"The other thing to add about Stevie is his 100% perfect record from the penalty spot. Even in the most nerve-racking moments of last season's dogfight (when we eventually managed to get a few penalties given to us) he never looked like missing. I wish we had got a penalty in the last minute at Almondvale - would have saved a lot of uncertainty since then!"

" A fast,hard working striker who will chase many a lost cause. Will be missed."

"he's got electric pace, thunders into challenges because of that from time to time. deffo a good signing if u get him, a sad loss for dfc thats for sure. In a good side, he will score loads o goals, we unfortunately didnt have a side good enuf to supply the man. If he does sign for u, all the best to stevie and u lot for the coming season"

"Steve's the player I'd least want to see leave Dundee as he's a proven goal scorer and will give everything, plus that little extra for the cause. In fact he gives a little too much at times as his style is 100% so does meet with referees disaproval from time to time, but even with a caution will still give 100%.

We all knew he was our biggest asset so are not surprised he's attracted interest from Leicester, as Craig knows him from his long experience in Scotland. I really think under the right formation he would even do well in the English Premiership, suggestions that he was anonymous are a bit harsh as he was playing through injury in his later period due to Dundee's plight.

If fit he will be a first team regular and I wish him well where ever he ends up as he has always given Dundee 100%."

"Usually a great player who has scored many priceless goals for us, tended to drift in and out of games this season but will be a player sorely missed by all of us Dees :(!"

"Good for Dundee but having seen my fair share of Championship football in the last two years I'm not sure he'll do any better than David Connolly, I do hope I'm wrong."

"Agreed, usually a great player!! although i do feel that towards the end of the season his heart wasn't in it. He didn't put his foot in where it hurts and appeared not to want to get injured. That aside, he will be missed and does know where the net is. A bargain buy if he goes to the foxs'"

"considering dundee pretty much had a non existent midfield i feel he did reasonably well last year. he would have been an excellent player for us this new season. I wish him the best at his new club."

And a Celtic mate of mine said that Lovell, and O'Brien if we got him, would both be great signings for us.

So on the whole, sounds pretty good. Just hope we can the service to him, and our other strikers.

good signing in lovell there, hes been coveted by a few clubs up here.

o'briens meant to be headed south now. apparently hearts had an agreement with him to sign once he saw who the new manager was, but burley asked him to come on trial as he'd never seen him and he took the huff and called the deal off.
i read that leicester are favourites for him now.

youngscot said:
good signing in lovell there, hes been coveted by a few clubs up here.

o'briens meant to be headed south now. apparently hearts had an agreement with him to sign once he saw who the new manager was, but burley asked him to come on trial as he'd never seen him and he took the huff and called the deal off.
i read that leicester are favourites for him now.

If we can get Lovell, O'Brien, Gerrbrand and a Left Back then I can no reason in terms of the football quality (who knows in terms mentality) why we should not be challenging for a place in the top 6. :) :) ;)

I hope that Lovell signs today and hopefully quite early today. From the reports it looks like he could be a good player for us but I get very nervous when players say they want time to go away and consider a move.

I know what you mean Gloucester.

I guess he does need to talk to his family about up-rooting them after three years or more in Dundee (waht a pigsty that place is).

Let's hope the deal is doen in time for him to go to Norway.

I understand why he would want the time and I would rather he take it than jump at the chance and then not settle (or his family not settle) but it does make me worry that another offer may come in or he is not sure that he wants to come.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670
8Middlesbro4669