Steve McLaren

Status
Not open for further replies.
This can't be a serious thread surely? He's had a good time in a poor dutch league and that's it. He was woeful with England and Middlesbro' fans hated him towards the end.

Fair enough - but to his credit he has plied his trade in a far from trendy league and seems to have done a good job.

He is about the level of managing a Hull or Burnley - but the FA charged him and appointed him to a job 'for the boys'. Obviously he was going to accept it.

Indeed. Apart from the ground of course! This from Wikipedia.........

Shankly became the manager of Liverpool in December 1959.

In 1959, Liverpool was a club in the bottom half of the old Second Division, with a crumbling stadium, poor training facilities, a large and poor quality playing staff and had been knocked out of the FA Cup earlier that year to non-league Worcester City. The only quality was in the backroom staff, with Joe Fagan and Reuben Bennett, added to by the recently retired footballer Bob Paisley, whom Shankly admired.

The training ground at Melwood was in a terrible state, overgrown and with only one mains water tap. Shankly turned this into a strength, by getting the players to arrive instead at Anfield, and then bus them over to Melwood - this created team camaraderie. At Melwood Shankly introduced fitness training including diet assessment, and skills training including using an artificial goal painted on a convenient wall, split into eight sections which he would demand the players hit each time. For playing practice, Shankly introduced five-a-side games that so defined his football thinking - pass and move, keep it simple, a creed taken from the daily matches played by the miners of Glenbuck. After training, the team would all bus back to Anfield together to shower, change and eat a communal meal. This way Shankly ensured all his players had warmed down correctly and he would keep his players free from injury. As a result, in the 1965-1966 season Liverpool finished as champions using just 14 players and two of those only played a handful of games.

Obviously that's inaccurate being wiki. Liverpool were constantly pushing for promotion and lost out on promotion only via goal average the previous season.

Obviously not old enough to remember 1959, but I'm certain Liverpool must still have been a big club just in the division below (a bit like Leeds or Newcastle now), only Arsenal had won more league titles up to that point and in Shankly's first season, they averaged crowds bigger than the over half of the First Division sides in the Second tier iirc.

Good win for FC Twente and Macca today.

Smashing Shtuff Shteve.

Going right down to the wire this one as Ajax also won

Good win for FC Twente and Macca today.

Smashing Shtuff Shteve.

Going right down to the wire this one as Ajax also won
I wouldn't say it was a good win for Twente, As Feynoord put out a C team to make sure that Ajax cant win the title.

Saturday morning a bunch of fans went to speak to the manager of Feynoord to tell him that they dont want a strong team to beat Twente cause that could help Ajax win the title.

Ajax still a point behind you can say that Twente have won the title.

I watched the match live Australian coverage. I've never watched Dutch football before but it was entertaining. It was mentioned that fans had asked Feynoord at their training not to put up a performance and it could be said they didn't look too bothered.

Still would be good to see a different team winning the league title especially as Twente were runners up last year.

This can't be a serious thread surely? He's had a good time in a poor dutch league and that's it. He was woeful with England and Middlesbro' fans hated him towards the end.

Missed this first time round. I never heard anything about McLaren being hated by Boro fans tbh. If he is, they are idiots. He did as good, if not better job for them than MON did for us.

Missed this first time round. I never heard anything about McLaren being hated by Boro fans tbh.

There was that famous episode (captured on TV) of a 'fan' throwing his season ticket at McLarens feet during the latter part of a game.

I watched the match live Australian coverage. I've never watched Dutch football before but it was entertaining. It was mentioned that fans had asked Feynoord at their training not to put up a performance and it could be said they didn't look too bothered.

Still would be good to see a different team winning the league title especially as Twente were runners up last year.

True, Twente do deserve it after being there all season at the top, Ajax started playing well but it was too late. Feynoord look like they will miss out on the Europea leage spot after AZ won and they lost.

Interesting game this weekend as it is the Dutch Cup between Ajax and Feynoord, they play two games first one at Ajax ground with no away fans then play at Feynoord with no ajax fans allowed.

Last edited:
There was that famous episode (captured on TV) of a 'fan' throwing his season ticket at McLarens feet during the latter part of a game.

Really? What happened? Did he piss the fans off somehow?

Re: Steve McClaren

Really? What happened? Did he piss the fans off somehow?

During a 0–4 defeat at home to Aston Villa, a Middlesbrough fan ran onto the pitch and threw his season ticket at McClaren signifying his disgust at the club's performances.

Last edited:

During a 0–4 defeat at home to Aston Villa, a Middlesbrough fan ran onto the pitch and threw his season ticket at McClaren signifying his disgust at the club's performances.

Weren't they a top half PL side at the time? Middlesbrough? And they were really disgusted by the performances?

Bloody hell! Some people have high standards.

Wanted to watch FC Twente today but the channel showing Dutch Football is knackered. Hope they win today.

Wanted to watch FC Twente today but the channel showing Dutch Football is knackered. Hope they win today.

I hope the channel showing the other Scandinavian stuff isn't knackered too :icon_wink

Weren't they a top half PL side at the time? Middlesbrough? And they were really disgusted by the performances?

Bloody hell! Some people have high standards.

people in Boro have high standards? Its one of few places that depresses me its so shit and helpless

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670
8Middlesbro4669