Summer 2023 - Major squad changes required

Brown Nose

The squad was supposed to be 'refreshed' in 2022. It wasn't.

The state of it now is pretty desperate. Lots of past its and not good enoughs. Lots of imbalance in positions.

If we assume (I know) that we stay up, what do we need to do?

Keepers: We desperately need a new first choice keeper. Ward or Iversen as back up is fine. Sell the other.

Defence: Imbalanced and too many poor players. Expect Amartey, Evans, Soyuncu and Bertrand to leave when their contracts expire. Vestergaard must go then too. Brunt is a waste of a squad place. Then we have other issues. We have three right backs and need two - I expect Castagne to go if Justin and Ricardo are fit(ish) for pre-season. I think Thomas should go on loan or permanently - he's not PL quality. Then we need two new central defenders. Loads to do.

Midfield: Another total mess. Tielemans and Mendy to go as out of contract. Praet and Soumare not good enough for first team places. Maddison to be sold as one year left. Big decision to make on Ndidi who looks a mess now and only has a year left. Albrighton to go and Perez out of contract.

Forwards: Where to start? Vardy is done and we should mutually agree to let him go. It's painful watching now let alone in another year. Daka is on his last chance - is he worth persisting with? Iheanacho is into his last year so do we back him with a new contract or sell? Barnes is pretty set and Tete loan ends - do we buy?

The sheer scale of change required is staggering really. We've got ourselves into a right mess. Glover has a massive job on.

Who said the squad was supposed to be refreshed ?
BR said he’d like new players in, upto 6, no one with the purse strings said it’s gonna happen
Peter Shilton was a kid when he played for us, try the Polish kid
Luke Thomas is premier league qualify but been played too much , too soon . as we had no other choice
Praet and Mendy are better than you seem to think
Who said Daka is on his last chance?

“There’s no doubt we need to make changes come the summer. We’ll have been working together for over three years come then, so we will need to refresh the squad, and that’s something we will do.

“There’s no doubt we need to make changes come the summer. We’ll have been working together for over three years come then, so we will need to refresh the squad, and that’s something we will do.
BR said it without conferring with the men with the money. he'd had a ****ing load of money, but managed to waste it, so, why should they trust him with even more?
His man management has been questioned on more than one occasion.
For how much money he is , allegedly paid, he should be showing he is worth his pay packet, not bleet to the press .

Rodgers was spot on all along wasn't he. We needed major surgery last summer.

Including him
Yup. I'd still be inclined to get rid and start afresh. We were great against Spurs and great again yesterday up until the goal but how it was allowed to dissolve into that insipid display by the end beggars belief. I'm also looking specifically at the new guys at the moment who despite being in the very early days territory, do appear to be going backwards already - suggesting Rodgers is actually not that good a coach (contrary to popular belief of many outside the club).

Did anyone ever doubt that?

It was more his constantly using it as an excuse for piss poor performances, his own tactical stupidity and continuing to put his own players under a bus that annoyed me.

I agree. Rodgers has severed whatever tie I had to him this season. I've never been connected to him like I was with people like O'Neill or Little but he earned my respect for the job done. That's despite me always knowing that his connection to us was never anything other than a step on a ladder.

However, if we are going to have to totally revamp the squad this summer, and I really cannot see us being able to do anything else, it probably makes sense for him to oversee it.

Tough as it is at times, he can get a tune out of impressionable young players. We do need some continuity. A total refresh with him in charge probably works out better than changing the backroom staff too.

Yup. I'd still be inclined to get rid and start afresh. We were great against Spurs and great again yesterday up until the goal but how it was allowed to dissolve into that insipid display by the end beggars belief. I'm also looking specifically at the new guys at the moment who despite being in the very early days territory, do appear to be going backwards already - suggesting Rodgers is actually not that good a coach (contrary to popular belief of many outside the club).
Do me a favour. Christ, the new signings have played three games.

Tete is not going to score in every game. Last week Kistiansen was the second-coming of Paola Maldini and Roberto Carlos rolled into one. And now he’s going backwards? Come on mate, he was part of one collectively bad half of football. And Souttar is going to take time to adjust to the step up in level. His performance at Old Trafford hadn’t gone backwards from his performance at Villa Park.

Do me a favour. Christ, the new signings have played three games.

Tete is not going to score in every game. Last week Kistiansen was the second-coming of Paola Maldini and Roberto Carlos rolled into one. And now he’s going backwards? Come on mate, he was part of one collectively bad half of football. And Souttar is going to take time to adjust to the step up in level. His performance at Old Trafford hadn’t gone backwards from his performance at Villa Park.
I thought I’d seen fickle but **** me

So what do we reckon then?

Keep: Ward (as back up), Smithies (as back up back up), Justin, Faes, Souttar, Kristiansen, Ricardo, Barnes, Dewsbury-Hall

Going: Iversen (no point being here), Soyuncu (OOC), Bertrand (OOC), Evans (OOC), Brunt, Amartey (OOC). Vestergaard (1yr left), Choudhury (1yr left), Tielemans (OOC), Maddison (1yr left), Mendy (OOC), Praet (1yr left), Perez (OOC), Albrighton (1yr left)

Not sure: Castagne, Thomas (1yr left), Soumare, Ndidi (1yr left), Vardy (1yr left), Iheanacho (1yr left), Daka, Tete (loan)

Keep: Ward (as back up), Smithies (as back up back up), Justin, Faes, Souttar, Kristiansen, Ricardo, Barnes, Dewsbury-Hall

Going: Iversen (no point being here), Soyuncu (OOC), Bertrand (OOC), Evans (OOC), Brunt, Amartey (OOC). Vestergaard (1yr left), Choudhury (1yr left), Tielemans (OOC), Maddison (1yr left), Mendy (OOC), Praet (1yr left), Perez (OOC), Albrighton (1yr left)

Not sure: Castagne, Thomas (1yr left), Soumare, Ndidi (1yr left), Vardy (1yr left), Iheanacho (1yr left), Daka, Tete (loan)
That is crazy. So much to do.

You're living in cloud cuckoo land.

You're living in cloud cuckoo land.
How so? The contract situations mean almost everything he lists is inevitable.

Certainly Tielemans, Soyuncu, Bertrand, Evans, Mendy and Perez are off.

The lads with one year left have to either resign or we sell. Can’t see Praet, Maddison, Albrighton or Choudhury staying.

We’d probably love to shift Vestergaard and Soumare.

That’s 12 players almost certain to leave at a minimum. And even at that we have a handful of players with one year left.

He’s largely right, it’s a massive summer.

How so? The contract situations mean almost everything he lists is inevitable.
You enjoying it up there with BN? There is no possibility that we will shed 14 players and sign at least eight. It's just not practical.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4494
2Leeds Utd4590
3Ipswich4490
4Southampton4584
5Norwich City4573
6West Brom4572
7Hull City4570
8Middlesbro4566
9Coventry City4464
10Preston 4463