Sunderland Sack Martin O'Neill

Status
Not open for further replies.
Villa have done so much better since he left.

And you think he should not take a good deal of blame for that? (And the same could easily be said about when he left Leicester and Celtic too).

I'd rather have him in than Pearson at this moment in time, but can't say the comments from Sunderland and Villa fans on another forum about how he's done in recent years fill me with confidence. I'd much rather have someone else in that either of them right now tbh, preferably any manager who actually has a sense of tactical nous and isn't obsessed with having a paper-thin squad which falls down after a couple of injuries.

I think he did well at Villa (although not spectacularly) but he did behave appallingly when he left. He always has that in him though. There's a massive ego to contend with. He spent a lot there but it was all sanctioned from above. I blame Lerner for that just as I blame our owner for the splurge under Eriksson and Pearson.

This is probably just sentimentality speaking but I want him back. It would make the place fun to be around again and, given that football doesn't really matter at all, that seems a good enough reason to me. I think he'd most likely do well anyway.

This is probably just sentimentality speaking but I want him back. It would make the place fun to be around again

And the "Martin, Martin O'Neill....." chant is the bestest chant we have ever had in the world, ever.

This is probably just sentimentality speaking but I want him back. It would make the place fun to be around again and, given that football doesn't really matter at all, that seems a good enough reason to me. I think he'd most likely do well anyway.

I agree it would certainly bring some atmosphere to the club back for a few games, but I can't see that not going back to normal unless he goes on a spectacular run as Forest have with Davies which could or could not happen. What happens after that atmosphere dies down? Not sure it would really put the fun back into the club like you say for more than 3 or 4 home games if we don't go on a fantastic run.

If that short-term enthusiasm boost helps us get promoted then great, but if not it definitely will have worn off by the start of next season and then it will be solely down to whether he still has it or not as a manager over any sense of fun it brings or not.

Last edited:
No probs, there's only 3 home games left unless we retain a play-off spot!

And if it does - what happens if they 75% chance of us losing the play-offs happens?

I agree it would certainly bring some atmosphere to the club back for a few games, but I can't see that not going back to normal unless he goes on a spectacular run as Forest have with Davies which could or could not happen. What happens after that atmosphere dies down? Not sure it would really put the fun back into the club like you say for more than 3 or 4 home games if we don't go on a fantastic run.

I'm not suggesting we approach him in the expectation that the atmosphere will be great and we'll not win a game. If we were managerless now the question I would ask is who would be the best candidate for the job. Before O'Neill's sacking I'd have said McCarthy, Warnock, and McDermott. O'Neill moves above them now, for me.

And not just because of his history with the club. But the lift that would bring to the place would be a bloody lovely bonus. We risk not doing well with any new manager. But then we're not doing well with the bloke who has had the benefit of seventeen months and ten million quid anyway. It's a no brainer. The question has to be asked of him.

I'm not suggesting we approach him in the expectation that the atmosphere will be great and we'll not win a game. If we were managerless now the question I would ask is who would be the best candidate for the job. Before O'Neill's sacking I'd have said McCarthy, Warnock, and McDermott. O'Neill moves above them now, for me.

And not just because of his history with the club. But the lift that would bring to the place would be a bloody lovely bonus. We risk not doing well with any new manager. But then we're not doing well with the bloke who has had the benefit of seventeen months and ten million quid anyway. It's a no brainer. The question has to be asked of him.

Of course, he's a better option than the other big names out there and the question will no doubt be asked, just seems like experienced "old fashioned" (for want of a better term) managers hasn't paid off for us recently. Kind of hoping for a different approach assuming now that Pearson is a dead man walking.

An inspirational manager for our last seven (or six) games maybe?

Villa have done so much better since he left.

Villa fans I know say the same about him as many of our fans (at least on here do though)... His success and the way he acted at the club is what lead to the decline when he left.

I would still love to see MON back here though. Think there is a much better chance of it now than before because his stock has dropped over the last couple of years... but still not sure he'd want to come back. It would be hard to get anywhere near the success he had before, so where's his motivation? (other than money!)

Of course, he's a better option than the other big names out there and the question will no doubt be asked, just seems like experienced "old fashioned" (for want of a better term) managers hasn't paid off for us recently. Kind of hoping for a different approach assuming now that Pearson is a dead man walking.

I would argue that it isn't "old fashioned" managers that haven't worked out for us. Just not very good ones.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670
8Middlesbro4669