Sven sacked

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lineker has always said he never wants to go into management.

Nope. Still think it's a knee jerk poor, and borderline unfair decision.

I'll take my lumps from BN, Redditch, Durham et al. I'm just of the opinion that this isn't more likely to move the club forward and that Sven wasn't given sufficient time. The performances were spotty and the millwall result was woeful, so I can see the frustrations.

Damnit, I thoroughly enjoyed having Sven around the club.

I'll take my lumps from BN, Redditch, Durham et al. I'm just of the opinion that this isn't more likely to move the club forward and that Sven wasn't given sufficient time. The performances were spotty and the millwall result was woeful, so I can see the frustrations.

If Sven had the passion and hunger to succeed that he had 15 years ago, our results would have been a lot better and his application to the job would have been greater. Fact is, he proved himself to be yesterday's man living on ancient glories and riding the gravy train to retirement from anyone who'd pay him. This has been pretty evident hasn't it? Just like everyone told us last October. Yes, he's a good man with a high profile, but he's not delivered for a long time.

According to the bookies, it is a three horse race between MON, Hughes and Davies. Any reasonable person that understands the game has to say that our chances of being in the Prem next season increase with any of these in charge.

If you accept that our owners are smart people, as I do, they are only going to ditch Sven if they feel they can better him. I think the owners want MON and MON will take the job. If that's the case, this is a great move for both parties. The tired 'never go back' nonsense puts people off. Also the skewed and false notion that MON is trouble. It is also typical of some of our fans to character assassinate the greatest manager in our history.

The truth is that his record is immense and his presence and skill to do the job we need is perfect.

If you accept that our owners are smart people, as I do, they are only going to ditch Sven if they feel they can better him. I think the owners want MON and MON will take the job. If that's the case, this is a great move for both parties. The tired 'never go back' nonsense puts people off. Also the skewed and false notion that MON is trouble. It is also typical of some of our fans to character assassinate the greatest manager in our history.

I can see where you're coming from with MON and Billy Davies.... but has Hughes ever managed in this league?

Having just looked, Hughes actually has a better managerial record than I realised. For some reason I feel less certain about him than the others.

Agreed 100%. Even if the new manager does get us up (a big if), I don't think I'll ever be convinced we were right to let Sven go as I still think he would've.

Why is the concept of stability and patience lost on new football owners. Yes, these guys are businessmen and they are expectant of a return on their investment, but would they honestly do the same with regarding their duty free ventures? Set up an outlet, form a business plan, plough money in and if there is no return within a twelve month period, sack the staff?! It's counter productive, especially given the level of investment. The next manager is going to do what the majority of managers in the game will want to do...make the team his own.

I wish I were going to the next home game in order to vent my spleen, but I can't make it. I do hope some form of protest will be offered by the City fans.

Even if the new manager does get us up (a big if), I don't think I'll ever be convinced we were right to let Sven go as I still think he would've.

Glad to see the new appointment will have your full support regardless of how successful he is. :tumbleweed:

I don't recall seeing anyone trying to character assassinate Matt Gillies.

I wish I were going to the next home game in order to vent my spleen, but I can't make it. I do hope some form of protest will be offered by the City fans.

Really?

The job of the fans will be to get behind the team and whoever has been appointed to Manage it.

Do you really want a protest instead?

Incredible.

Really?

The job of the fans will be to get behind the team and whoever has been appointed to Manage it.

Do you really want a protest instead?

Incredible.

I wouldn't describe my opinion as incredible. Landing on the moon is incredible. The birth of a child is incredible. Anyone wanting to have concensual sex with Paris Hilton is incredible. Hoping the paying fans voice their opinion with regards to the unfair, untimely and no doubt costly removal of a manager isn't.

For the record I wasn't think placards and marching, moreover a verbal protest.

Glad to see the new appointment will have your full support regardless of how successful he is. :tumbleweed:

I will support them. Nothing in my post said otherwise.

I can support the new manager without thinking we were right to get rid of Sven though. I still think we were wrong to get rid of Pearson, but I was fully behind Sven...

Why is the concept of stability and patience lost on new football owners.

Why is the concept of them spunking money at the club and therefore doing anything they damn well want beyond the comprehension of so many? Doesn't make it right but it is totally predictable and understandable.

Yes, these guys are businessmen and they are expectant of a return on their investment, but would they honestly do the same with regarding their duty free ventures? Set up an outlet, form a business plan, plough money in and if there is no return within a twelve month period, sack the staff?!

Erm...yes, that's exactly what they'd do - and not even give it 12 months.

The best form of protest is not giving them any money. What do they care if a bunch of ****s turn up and boo after stumping up the ticket money? You are doing the right thing by not being there, it's the only voice of protest any club owner really cares about.

I will support them. Nothing in my post said otherwise.

I can support the new manager without thinking we were right to get rid of Sven though. I still think we were wrong to get rid of Pearson, but I was fully behind Sven...

My apologies for suggesting otherwise Graz. I'm still a bit tetchy this morning at the comments of some of our 'fans'.

If Sven had the passion and hunger to succeed that he had 15 years ago, our results would have been a lot better and his application to the job would have been greater. Fact is, he proved himself to be yesterday's man living on ancient glories and riding the gravy train to retirement from anyone who'd pay him. This has been pretty evident hasn't it?

Certainly not to me, I completely disagree with everything you've said there.

Last edited:
Also the skewed and false notion that MON is trouble. It is also typical of some of our fans to character assassinate the greatest manager in our history.

Whilst I agree with the rest of your post, this notion is in place for a reason. He's a good manager but he's only out for one person, and the way he treated Villa was pretty poor. I know several people who work at Villa and they did not like him or his team; I was told it was a breath of fresh air when he left the club. If he gets results here then I couldn't care less, but if he comes back it will go one of two ways; and one of those ends with us in disarray without a manager in 6 months and short of another £2m.

Still, I think it's worth the gamble.

From the possible candidates being mentioned, imo it has to be Davies or MON to have any chance of picking up straight away. The players need to be kicked into shape and the chaff needs to be got rid of, and I don't think a continental manager will do that.

From the possible candidates being mentioned, imo it has to be Davies or MON to have any chance of picking up straight away. The players need to be kicked into shape and the chaff needs to be got rid of, and I don't think a continental manager will do that.

Agree with this. Can't believe I'm saying this as I can't stand the bloke but I'm praying it'll be Davies - even though my head tells me this is a non starter for the Thai's.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670
8Middlesbro4669