Sven sacked

Status
Not open for further replies.
A good number of the squad who were here when he arrived are on their biggest pay-day thanks to Sven authorising pay rises and contract extensions. An attempt at man motivating which backfired.

I'll be honest. I expected these antics under the Thai's. So it's come as no shock.
I also have no sympathy for Sven and not really bothered he's gone, I never felt confident about us with him in charge. I never saw an away performance full of effort and grit under him.

Spot on for me.

And me.

I don't understand why people think MON wouldn't come back.

-Nice easy way back into management.
-Great compensation package.
-If he fails, he gets a nice big payout and leaves. He almost certainly wouldn't have had time to make it his own squad, so it won't have been his fault.
-If he gets any success then great.
-It would feed right into his large ego.

It's almost certainly the most attractive offer that he'll get in the next few years, as after his exploits with Villa none of the larger clubs or more sensible chairmen will go anywhere near him. Cue us...

I don't understand why people think MON wouldn't come back.

-Nice easy way back into management.
-Great compensation package.
-If he fails, he gets a nice big payout and leaves. He almost certainly wouldn't have had time to make it his own squad, so it won't have been his fault.
-If he gets any success then great.
-It would feed right into his large ego.

It's almost certainly the most attractive offer that he'll get in the next few years, as after his exploits with Villa none of the larger clubs or more sensible chairmen will go anywhere near him. Cue us...

Because he already turned us down when we hired SGE and he turned West Ham down in the summer. I just can't see him coming down the Championship, I reckon he'd only go for a PL job.

It's the same with Curbishley, reckon he'll only go for a PL job, but no one seems to want him.

Last edited:
Because he already turned us down when we hired SGE and he turned West Ham down in the summer. I just can't see him coming down the Championship, I reckon he'd only go for a PL job.

It's the same with Curbishley, reckon he'll only go for a PL job, but no one seems to want him.

Curbishley would be here like a shot IMO.

I haven't really enjoyed it since we started having such a high turnover of players. Which is clearly intertwined with the managers. Who is our longest serving player as a first teamer? Andy King with 4 years. Then who?

Plus it feels like a long time since we've had a player who cares about the club. But I'm not sure whether it's just that those days are gone.

Logan - (1st appearance 2006, 29 appearances overall, 10 managers - out on loan)
King - (1st appearance 2007, 177 appearances overall, 7 managers)
Howard & Oakley - (1st appearance Jan 2008, 148 appearances overall, 5 managers)

Think those manager stats are about right, tried to include caretakers as well for fun. :icon_roll

Whoosh!!!!!!!
Mark Hughes took over a Premier League Club with a massive fanbase and massive £££, much more than us right now.
He didn't have to worry about Promotion.

Whoosh!!!

No-one seems to want either of the managers who sued their previous clubs and received large compensation packages? Strange that.

And although MON may have been offered the job previously, it was a completely different proposition then. Sousa had just been sacked, we were completely clueless and the Thais had yet to show just how strong their financial input would be. (I get that this actually appears similar to the current situation but they are very different).

After say that i'm sceptical about going back over old ground. MON was fantastic for our club in the 90's era, but the situation now is totally different. It dosent always work, you only need to look at Keegans return to Newcastle. They were baying for his appointment, but we all know how it ended up.
The thais have given us spending power that we have never had before, and an opportunity that the fans will expect whoever the manager is to give us success. I can see it now where MON takes us over and after a few games without a win the grumbling starts again.
We all know how sensitive MON is to criticism.

Whoever comes in needs to have a good grounding in this league. I suspect Top and Vichai won't place much emphasis on this though.

Whoever comes in needs to have a good grounding in this league. I suspect Top and Vichai won't place much emphasis on this though.

Agreed. Have been saying this yesterday.

My initial reaction was amazement, but it's hard to imagine what Sven's defense would be.

If Top asked him 'Why should you keep your job?' what could he say?

The reality is Sven has spent a lot of money, and his most expensive signings haven't impressed.
He has overloaded the squad with central midfielders, mostly defensive minded. while the squad is clearly lacking in other areas.
Performances have been dull, and results on the whole below what everyone expects
He makes no attempt to change the course of a game when we're not doing well
And attendances have been pretty poor, largely as a result of the above, so he hasn't been good for buisness lately.

I genuinely can't think of anything he could say in his defense.

As i have said before i don't doubt Svens ability, but i get the impression that he couldn't be bothered.

There's no doubt Sven likes to roll big. It's not surprising players like him with big pay rises and a laid back approach.

Big gamble this for the owners, they've heaped on the pressure whoever the replacement. Really surprised at the timing. Had they waited till xmas and performances not improved their decision could be better understood - question is how can the new boss improve results with the inherited squad.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670
8Middlesbro4669