Sven sacked

Status
Not open for further replies.
I really enjoyed 03/04 (even though we went down, we still gave it a great go when we had absolutely no money) and 08/09 too. Basically, both full seasons under both Adams and Pearson I really enjoyed, still have a lot of time for both of them.

I haven't really enjoyed it since we started having such a high turnover of players. Which is clearly intertwined with the managers. Who is our longest serving player as a first teamer? Andy King with 4 years. Then who?

Plus it feels like a long time since we've had a player who cares about the club. But I'm not sure whether it's just that those days are gone.

I haven't really enjoyed it since we started having such a high turnover of players. Which is clearly intertwined with the managers. Who is our longest serving player as a first teamer? Andy King with 4 years. Then who?

Plus it feels like a long time since we've had a player who cares about the club. But I'm not sure whether it's just that those days are gone.

I've read through the Sven book on Management a couple of times and one of the elements that gets emphasized is the concept that the players are treated like competent professional who know what their job is, what is expected of them and how to perform.

It seems that practice has not worked well enough with this set of players...many of whom have under-performed and should take a long look at themselves.

Re: Sven rumoured to have been sacked.

We are already there and we have been for some time, I'm afraid. It will probably work out alright in the end. I feel as though we are where QPR were two or three seasons ago before they realised what they needed was a Warnock to do the job.

But all in all I don't like where we are as a club. When we were skint and struggling I enjoyed it more than I do now simply because I still felt as though the club belonged to me a little bit. I was deluding myself of course, but with this lot in charge throwing their cash about I feel detached from the club. The illusion of belonging has disappeared. Unfortunately I was hooked long ago.

I can't help but feel that any success we get from spending all of the owners' money will feel hollow compared to the successes of Little, O'Neill, Adams and Pearson. Maybe it's because I'm getting older and football isn't as important to me as it once was. Maybe it's because I feel a bit down about things after Saturday and now tonight. It could well all be sulky bollocks. I'll tell you if and when we win something.

Totally agree - for me it was the Bloomfield and Wallace era's too - in those days always felt a part of it. Nowadays you're just another 'customer' enjoying a 'matchday experience'

I agree.

I just want a manager who is "ours," you know, who stays at the club for years, even through bad times, but obviously leads us to success also. Someone like what Matt Gillies was, but in my lifetime. Maybe that's naive in the modern game and maybe it's baseless romantic hooey, but I just feel like the club is an identity as a supporter and I want people at the club who are part of that.

I thought Pearson was going to be that, but he was treated like **** and forced out, then I hoped SGE would be that, but now he's sacked for being 2 points off the play-offs with 33 games to go.

Re: Sven rumoured to have been sacked.

We are already there and we have been for some time, I'm afraid. It will probably work out alright in the end. I feel as though we are where QPR were two or three seasons ago before they realised what they needed was a Warnock to do the job.

But all in all I don't like where we are as a club. When we were skint and struggling I enjoyed it more than I do now simply because I still felt as though the club belonged to me a little bit. I was deluding myself of course, but with this lot in charge throwing their cash about I feel detached from the club. The illusion of belonging has disappeared. Unfortunately I was hooked long ago.

I can't help but feel that any success we get from spending all of the owners' money will feel hollow compared to the successes of Little, O'Neill, Adams and Pearson. Maybe it's because I'm getting older and football isn't as important to me as it once was. Maybe it's because I feel a bit down about things after Saturday and now tonight. It could well all be sulky bollocks. I'll tell you if and when we win something.

ask Man City Fans if beating Utd 6-1 felt hollow. I've not read all the reactions, and this is not based on your post but I can't help feeling there's a massive over reaction as always. We don't know the ins and outs of this decision, I doubt it is just because of losing 3 home games to teams all in the bottom 6 or even 3 at the time. But listening to Fazz he didn't sound too surprised, saying something like it's what happens when you lose games you shouldn't. Sven apparently said he couldn't understand why or how that performance on Saturday happened. Maybe this was enough for the owners to feel worried?? who knows, but wait and see who comes along, and if they do what Sven couldn't (get us into the top 6) and keep us there till the end of the season then tell me how hollow it feels.

Is Conrad Logan at the club? If so, he'll be in his fifth millennium as back-up keeper.

What are you doing up at this hour!! We've only lost a manager.

By the time you get back our Asian benefactors will probably have got through two or three more. The king is dead, long live the king........................and the one after that.

Yeah I agree with the match day experience thing. The only match day experience I want is to watch my team winning, preferably playing attacking football. The romantic in me wants to see O'Neill back. I know it would probably end in tears, and I know there are very good arguments as to why he was actually quite a bad thing for the club, even while things were going well on the pitch. But I was a teenager when we were being successful under O'Neill and I want to feel like that again. It was brilliant going to school and being able to look the Man United fans straight in the eye. "I support my local team and we're bloody good. You'll never know that feeling".

I don't think O'Neill, realistically, would want to come back. I'd be pleased with somebody like O'Driscoll. One of Lee Clark or Gus Poyet would make me happy. I'm not sure who else. Billy Davies is a decent shout, I suppose. I think Coppell would probably bottle it, as good as he is at this level. I wouldn't mind Jean Tigana, actually.

Roberto Di Matteo is another one who has done well in this league playing good football. Probably a big enough name for the Thais. Not sure he'd fancy leaving his current job though.

I agree.

I just want a manager who is "ours," you know, who stays at the club for years, even through bad times, but obviously leads us to success also. Someone like what Matt Gillies was, but in my lifetime. Maybe that's naive in the modern game and maybe it's baseless romantic hooey, but I just feel like the club is an identity as a supporter and I want people at the club who are part of that.

I thought Pearson was going to be that, but he was treated like **** and forced out, then I hoped SGE would be that, but now he's sacked for being 2 points off the play-offs with 33 games to go.

Yep, I'd have been perfectly happy with Pearson building year on year and (hopefully) enjoying the play-offs each year. He was a manager whome I respected and I liked the ethos of the club. I couldn't care less if any of our players left tomorrow, and I think they feel the same.

PS. I miss Ben Thatcher.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670