TBers Photos

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was waiting for the Cup Final to start and we'd been on holiday since the previous weekend so it had grown a bit.

We went to the Zoo in Barrow in Furness and here is one of the photos I took of someone who obviously was chilled out

Before I read the text I thought this was gonna be another rabbit gate! It looks like it is impaled on that pole!

The Zoo was a good day out plenty to see and if there's kids with you I think all the better.

There are plenty of different animals and a lot of them are in big enclosures Lions Tigers Rhino's Giraffes and The bears similar to the one in my earlier photo and summat what looked like an overgrown rat
The Hippo's lazing in the mud loads of monkeys -all types
there were Emu's one walked with you as you walked through that enclosure where there were kangaroos and other similar animals. There are lemurs everywhere but dont offer them food else you could get bitten one was a real showoff for the cameras and let you get close up spreading its legs wide open that photo I took on my mums camera which is not digital

I generally find zoos incredibly depressing places, they're mostly like animal jails to me.
Especially Twycross, that place is a ****ing disgrace

I generally find zoos incredibly depressing places, they're mostly like animal jails to me.

Twycross does a lot of conservation work and breeding of endangered animals, to call it a ****ing disgrace is a bit strong.

The two Aspinall places in Kent are good (Howletts and Port Lympne). They do a lot of conservation work, especially with gorillas, and they have two places in Congo and somewhere I can't remember off the top of my head where they reintroduce gorillas into the wild. The rejected babies born in Kent are eventually taken to Africa, and the organisation has been successful in getting them back into the wild.

I also like Monkey World; they rescue primates but due to their circumstances, they can't be reintroduced back into the wild, but they are given enclosures that are relatively spacious and the keepers try to make life interesting for them. They really do the best for the apes that they can.

Twycross does a lot of conservation work and breeding of endangered animals, to call it a ****ing disgrace is a bit strong.

It may be a bit strong, but I stand by it.

What's the point of breeding endangered animals if they are going to be kept in cramped, miserable, sterile boxes for the rest of their unnatural lives just for human entertainment?

It may be a bit strong, but I stand by it.

What's the point of breeding endangered animals if they are going to be kept in cramped, miserable, sterile boxes for the rest of their unnatural lives just for human entertainment?

It needs a lot of money spending on it. Mollie tended to not spend the money and concentrate on her chimps. The new owners are spending millions to make it the premier world primate research and conversation centre.

The two Aspinall places in Kent are good (Howletts and Port Lympne). They do a lot of conservation work, especially with gorillas, and they have two places in Congo and somewhere I can't remember off the top of my head where they reintroduce gorillas into the wild. The rejected babies born in Kent are eventually taken to Africa, and the organisation has been successful in getting them back into the wild.

I also like Monkey World; they rescue primates but due to their circumstances, they can't be reintroduced back into the wild, but they are given enclosures that are relatively spacious and the keepers try to make life interesting for them. They really do the best for the apes that they can.

Monkey World is an excellent establishment, and their philosophy is very different. As LeeH implies it is a sanctuary rather than a zoo. Most of the animals have been confiscated from illegal dealers in Asia, or from Spanish beach photographers, with some large groups rescued from research laboratories. Their living conditions are excellent and, with one or two exceptions they do not attempt breeding. In fact I believe the great apes are fed oral contraceptives.

It is an immensely popular attraction and has a great educational role, highlighting the plight of these animals before rescue.

Monkey World is an excellent establishment, and their philosophy is very different. As LeeH implies it is a sanctuary rather than a zoo. Most of the animals have been confiscated from illegal dealers in Asia, or from Spanish beach photographers, with some large groups rescued from research laboratories. Their living conditions are excellent and, with one or two exceptions they do not attempt breeding. In fact I believe the great apes are fed oral contraceptives.

It is an immensely popular attraction and has a great educational role, highlighting the plight of these animals before rescue.

Was sad to hear that Charlie had died

Has he? That's really sad, he was quite a character. :icon_sad:

His life before arriving at Monkey World was awful; he was a drug addict and had suffered a number of injuries at the hands of his owners. I can't think why anyone would treat an animal so horrifically.

You only have to look at the life of Baby P and others including the rape of babies and the starving of children to realise that treating an animal so badly could come very easily to some. :icon_sad:

Has he? That's really sad, he was quite a character. :icon_sad:

His life before arriving at Monkey World was awful; he was a drug addict and had suffered a number of injuries at the hands of his owners. I can't think why anyone would treat an animal so horrifically.

From the website
Charlie was a male chimpanzee (Pan troglodytes) who was used as a photographers’ prop in Spain. He arrived at the park on 05/06/89 and we estimate he was born during 1980. Charlie’s history was very traumatic. When he first arrived at the park, he was a drug addict, had a broken jaw, cataracts, and only four teeth. Over the past couple of years, we noticed that he had slowed down and lost a bit of weight, but he was still a very happy chimpanzee who benefited enormously from living a more natural life, surrounded by friends of his own kind. Sadly, we have to inform you that in the past week Charlie's condition deteriorated and despite our very best efforts Charlie passed away on Sunday 8th February 2009.

(His teeth had been ripped out by his owners to prevent him biting people. He had been given herion by his owners in order to control him. He had also been taught to smoke cigarettes.)

He had been given herion by his owners in order to control him. He had also been taught to smoke cigarettes.)
Feck, a new career as a beach monkey sound promising Macky?

Status
Not open for further replies.

P Pld Pts
1Liverpool718
2Manchester C  717
3Arsenal717
4Chelsea714
5Aston Villa714
6Newcastle712
7Fulham711
8Tottenham 610
9Nottm F710