The Athletic

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks to Brown Nose Brown Nose for reigniting the thread - like most others on the forum I joined when they were doing deals last year and was a couple of days from re-subscription at full cost. Check yours now!!

I signed up for a free trial. Then cancelled before payment was due. Still have access though.

Anyone who's not got this and fancies it (or anyone that has it and wants to reduce the cost), they currently have it on offer for £1p/m for 24 months.

Anyone who's not got this and fancies it (or anyone that has it and wants to reduce the cost), they currently have it on offer for £1p/m for 24 months.

I remembered to cancel my subscription this summer but they immediately offered to reduce the price from £60 p/yr to £18.
So I signed up again.

Lesson learned for the Athletic is to never let your subscription run over.

I remembered to cancel my subscription this summer but they immediately offered to reduce the price from £60 p/yr to £18.
So I signed up again.

Lesson learned for the Athletic is to never let your subscription run over.
It’s the same with Audible. Three months half price, one month full price, say you’re cancelling, take the free book to stay, cancel anyway, back to half price as a new customer.

Thanks. £1 a month and no issues 2 years is enough for me to dive in and try for the first time!

They can hardly give this away these days

I’ve stopped my subscription and that was at only £1 per month. I appreciate what they’re trying to do but I can’t see that their product is any better than the free alternatives.
Before all the “we simulated (insert scenario) on FM22” articles I might have disagreed with this.

I'm happy to pay a pound a month. I mainly just read articles about LCFC and find them very insightful and informative.

Before all the “we simulated (insert scenario) on FM22” articles I might have disagreed with this.
Oh no are they actually doing those? :081:

Same really. There is still good stuff in there, and I don’t exactly miss the quid.

Seems like dozens the last few weeks. It’s pathetic.
Yes. I still think it is worth it but the FM articles are really poor, and not where they should be targetting their efforts

I can't remember the last time I found out something interesting/I didn't already know about City. Let's be honest, Rob Tanner isn't great and I find Jordan Blackwell more insightful in the LM.

More generally, there are some decent articles from some good journalists but there isn't often anything that is worth paying for over and above what you can read for free. They somehow manage to do stats to death and still not say anything worthwhile. Matt Slater is one of the few that publish articles that are genuinely informative.

I renewed my subscription because they reduced the price so much. I expect most subscribers are paying discounted rates. I don't see how the business model survives really. It must be being heavily subsidised by the American side, which I have no interest in.

I also find it too preachy and the editorial attitude seems set up to annoy me.

I find Jordan Blackwell more insightful in the LM.
That’s… a take, certainly. Has it really fallen so far in such a short space of time that it compares unfavourably to the shallow nonsense in the local shitrag?
I also find it too preachy and the editorial attitude seems set up to annoy me.
I believe annoying you is in the opening sentence of their mission statement.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4494
2Leeds Utd4490
3Ipswich4389
4Southampton4484
5West Brom4472
6Norwich City4472
7Hull City4469
8Coventry City4363