The Championship.......now what

Status
Not open for further replies.
Agree with most things said in the first post.

I believe we have a good defence.Although a goalie is definetly needed. Hobbs, Tunchev, Brown, Morisson and Kisnorbo surely we can find a good centre back pairing out of all of them! Left back is a worry as I think Mattock will struggle and Powell may not have the legs. Right back is also a worry as Gilbert probably won't return. Leaving us with Edworthy or a centre back playing at right back.

Our midfield needs strenghtening. King and Oakley are decent but Oakley has let us down in this league before so whats to say he won't do it again. I think King has been good this season however how he will cope in the Championship knowone knows. Berner can play cm however we do need cover. Will Clemence ever come back?! Wingers we have Gradel, Dyer and ?? I can't think of the other wingers however Gradel in my opinion is better coming off the bench and making an impact from there. Dyer has been good and bad he need to show a bit of consistency.

Up front we need some strikers. Urgently! We know what Fryatt is like in this league and Howard isn't bad and will win balls in the air. After that well...! We have Dickov and Hayles enough said.

We need strengthening definetly. Midfield for sure and definetly up front.
COME ON MILAN ! Get ur cheque book out!!

Good assessments from Brauny and Harbro. I'll go with the consensus that we need a goalkeeper, striker and central midfielder. In an ideal world there isn't a position that couldn't do with some strengthening (if Tunchev recovers and Hobbs is signed that may sort out CB).

There are still a lot of unused/unwanted players on the books which it would be good to sort out....
Logan - clearly not going to play, Pentney now in wings as young keeper - get rid
Porter - Came back from Chelsea injury but has hardly featured this season.
Hayes - has he played under Pearson?
Clemence - who? Get rid
Wesolowski - another who has hardly featured under Nigel
Campbell - could do a job but attitude problem and we'd still need another striker, imo
Worley - no idea how good he is.
Adams - Done ok but never really been given a run in the team.

Agree with most things said in the first post.

I believe we have a good defence.Although a goalie is definetly needed. Hobbs, Tunchev, Brown, Morisson and Kisnorbo surely we can find a good centre back pairing out of all of them! Left back is a worry as I think Mattock will struggle and Powell may not have the legs. Right back is also a worry as Gilbert probably won't return. Leaving us with Edworthy or a centre back playing at right back.

Our midfield needs strenghtening...
COME ON MILAN ! Get ur cheque book out!!

LB and RB will be a problem if Gilbert doesn't come back, I agree. We will need a spare midfielder too if we can't get Cleverly back and/or Clemence has a bad season.

Also, either get DJ back, or sign another striker, I think Bazza and Dickov are past their best now. I'd suggest the chap from Leeds if they fail in the playoffs and can afford to sell him.

Morrison looked excellent vs Leeds at RB imo, even though its not his natural position

I'm not sure what £10m is in Milans world. He says he has already spent £15m on us :102:

There will be some 'creative accounting'.... whilst I am sure a subtantial sum will be spent the likelihood is that a large part of the sum spent will include money saved on letting high earners like Kinsboro & DJ Campbell go and income from selling the likes of Mattock (maybe even Fryatt) and one or two fringe players. Thus the gross figure spent and the net figures will be some distance apart, and it will be the former that MM flags. Having said all this, there will be more money being spent with MM on board than without him, so there is nothing really to complain about. Above all, we can be confident that the recruits that NP and his team will bring in will be good ones to enhance an already pretty decent squad.

There will be some 'creative accounting'.... whilst I am sure a subtantial sum will be spent the likelihood is that a large part of the sum spent will include money saved on letting high earners like Kinsboro & DJ Campbell go and income from selling the likes of Mattock (maybe even Fryatt) and one or two fringe players. Thus the gross figure spent and the net figures will be some distance apart, and it will be the former that MM flags. Having said all this, there will be more money being spent with MM on board than without him, so there is nothing really to complain about. Above all, we can be confident that the recruits that NP and his team will bring in will be good ones to enhance an already pretty decent squad.

Not even that complicated. Milan gets the words spent and lent mixed up - Leicester have borrowed an additional £15 million while he's been in charge. Borrowing another £10 million may be what he's got planned. So, if Newcastle don't come down, we will be the biggest club in the Championship, in terms of debt anyway.

Whoever we sign its nice to know that our transfer policy is no longer some kid in sweet shop approach, and you can beat that the positions mentioned on this forum are the ones that will be strengthen.

That is every position except CB, RW and LW!

Spot on for me.

And me.Getting promoted this season was a 'Must Do' and the players/Manager deserve praise for acheiving that but we are only back where we were after going to where we should never have been.

And me.Getting promoted this season was a 'Must Do' and the players/Manager deserve praise for acheiving that but we are only back where we were after going to where we should never have been.

True, but I suspect that team morale and work ethic is a lot healthier now than last May.

We come back from where we never should have been a lot stronger than when we went there!

Oh yeah,winning is a good habit but I guess the acid test will be how the team react when they lose a fe on the run and equally importantly how the supporters react

Last edited:
Oh yeah,winning is a good habit but I guess the acid test will be how the team react when they lose a fe on the run and equally importantly how the supporters react

We all know what that will be

Altogether now:

Booooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo.....

We lost 4, so far, this season, so I will allow Pearson 5 defeats before I am calling for his dismissal! :icon_wink

isn't NP an ex middleboro captain?
Wonder what would happen if southgate got the sack....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Bournemouth00
2Arsenal00
3Aston Villa00
4Brentford00
5Brighton00
6Chelsea00
7Palace00
8Everton00