The Championship.......now what

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brauny Blue

Great to have the meaningful local derbies back, and many more fixtures to catch the eye.
That said where do we go from here though ?
The goalkeeping situation needs sorting, obviously needing 6 goalkeepers in one season its amazing that defensively we have done so well.
The defence lools o.k and with the return of Tunchev, would be the least of my concerns.
The midfield looks light for the championship, and imo we have missed a box to box player like we had in loanee Davies.
The forwards are my greatest concern. How much will Fryatts 30 goals be worth in the championship ? with better quality defenders against him, i fear his lack of pace will relegate him to ' ordinary ' status at the higher level.
Howard has been excellent for us this season, but like Fryatt he has no pace. Imo he can still do an important job for us but i'm not convinced he is our link back to the premier.
With Hayles and Dickov needing a pension its imperative we have more and better options up front.

Imo its dip your hands in your pocket Milan for 4 or 5 new players, or we are going to be battling like Forest.

Great to have the meaningful local derbies back, and many more fixtures to catch the eye.
That said where do we go from here though ?
The goalkeeping situation needs sorting, obviously needing 6 goalkeepers in one season its amazing that defensively we have done so well.
The defence lools o.k and with the return of Tunchev, would be the least of my concerns.
The midfield looks light for the championship, and imo we have missed a box to box player like we had in loanee Davies.
The forwards are my greatest concern. How much will Fryatts 30 goals be worth in the championship ? with better quality defenders against him, i fear his lack of pace will relegate him to ' ordinary ' status at the higher level.
Howard has been excellent for us this season, but like Fryatt he has no pace. Imo he can still do an important job for us but i'm not convinced he is our link back to the premier.
With Hayles and Dickov needing a pension its imperative we have more and better options up front.

Imo its dip your hands in your pocket Milan for 4 or 5 new players, or we are going to be battling like Forest.

http://www.talkingballs.co.uk/showpost.php?p=814667&postcount=27 :icon_wink

I agree Fryatt lacks the pace to be a first choice striker in the Championship. He's great with the ball when he gets the time to create things and finish them off, but as everything has to go much quicker in CCC I doubt he'll do that well.

That said, I want to join in to the praise for now. His season has been fantastic and he deserves this success as much as anybody and perhaps more.

Regarding the defence, Hobbs and Tunchev as centre backs looks good to me, I think that is Championship standard.

We've just won the league and promotion, we've still got games left in league one, and you're already worried about next year???? FFS - live for the now, go out and celebrate with the rest of us! Mines a half thanks - Half-full!!!

We've just won the league and promotion, we've still got games left in league one, and you're already worried about next year???? FFS - live for the now, go out and celebrate with the rest of us! Mines a half thanks - Half-full!!!

As much as I would like to praise the players and Pearson for the victory, I think this season has been a "lost" year in the history of the club and we're now back where we started. 2008/2009 was the season when we won a league, sure, but I don't want it to be remembered as one of the highlights - I have much higher hopes than that.

The only good thing I can see about relegation was that we got rid of Ollie, financially it was a disaster and we were lucky to have Mandaric IMO.

And yes, I'm probably sad and miserable for thinking about this now... But I was more relieved than overjoyed that we made this.

As much as I would like to praise the players and Pearson for the victory, I think this season has been a "lost" year in the history of the club and we're now back where we started. 2008/2009 was the season when we won a league, sure, but I don't want it to be remembered as one of the highlights - I have much higher hopes than that.

The only good thing I can see about relegation was that we got rid of Ollie, financially it was a disaster and we were lucky to have Mandaric IMO.

And yes, I'm probably sad and miserable for thinking about this now... But I was more relieved than overjoyed that we made this.

Spot on for me.

You can't ask for anymore than has been achieved this season even if playing in this league has been an embarrassing experience.

It will be more fascinating than usual next season to see how we get on but Nigel Pearson seems to have been an exceptionally good appointment.

Without a doubt Redditch, Nigel has been brilliant from day one.

Nice to have a manager who lets his players do the talking unlike the two circus acts of last season.

Disagree, its the belief and momentum back. In our past 4 seasons or so in the Championship, there was just no belief no organisation only momentum in a negative direction, but now weve got the belief back

You really think our side is that much worse than the Bristol City side who came up 2 years ago and were leading the way til about March time and ended up in the play-off final? Not saying we're going to get promotion in our first season, but i just feel we are so much better off than we were 12 months ago

Relegation could well turn out to have been a blessing in disguise

Over the moon, I was sceptical as to whether we would 'walk' this division - but we most definitely have and that is superb. The future's bright.

Disagree, its the belief and momentum back. In our past 4 seasons or so in the Championship, there was just no belief no organisation only momentum in a negative direction, but now weve got the belief back

You really think our side is that much worse than the Bristol City side who came up 2 years ago and were leading the way til about March time and ended up in the play-off final? Not saying we're going to get promotion in our first season, but i just feel we are so much better off than we were 12 months ago

Sums up my feelings almost exactly, mine have more gimp action overall, but that's pretty much it.

Well, I guess we'll see that in another 12 months time. If we're back to struggling just above bottom three, which is not unlikely at all, then I really can't see what good relegation has done.

Changing Holloway for Pearson was necessary for this club and relegation helped us to do that, but I think we could have done that in The Championship and done better at the time we were there. In my eyes, this has been a lost year. We certainly did the best possible of it, but still a lost year.

Then again, I've only seen 3 games live this season and I suppose just watching Leicester win again was nice for a lot of supporters. I don't quite have that perspective over here.

I feel that returning at the first attempt and as champions will have actually helped our image no end. We acheived what a number of so called big clubs failed to do. And in some style too.

That should be good for attracting players to the club - they will see a club with ambition, a solid set up and a useful management team.

Relegation whilst very painful last year, may prove to have been a blessing. It has moved us on from a mediocre club to a side that is in the habit of winning.

Hope you've all been out celebrating and had a good night!!

I will sleep well, I've had a drink or two, cheers to City, to Milan, to you guys and to the championship next season!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670
8Middlesbro4669