Speculation The Crazy Stupid Premier League Rumours Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ferdinand was, at one time, just about the best centre back playing in England. He's now old and past it and is a bit shit, but could still do a job

Upson was, at one time, complete and utter shit. He's now old and past it and is even more completely and utterly shit, and could only muster a big stinking jobby

Yeah, no difference at all
Nonsense, Ferdinand is no better now than Upson. He's lost anything he had and is more interested in his media work.I'd be amazed if he started 50% of their games.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/fo...id-for-Watfords-Troy-Deeney-to-10million.html

Leicester City told to raise bid for Watford's Troy Deeney to £10million
Promoted club Leicester City have had their second offer for striker Troy Deeney turned down and been told to break their transfer record again this summer to have bid accepted

Nigel Pearson will have to break Leicester City's transfer record for the second time this summer to sign Watford striker Troy Deeney. Pearson, the Leicester manager, has been quoted a staggering £10 million by the Championship club for Deeney after two offers were rejected.

Leicester have already broken their previous record which had stood for 14 years after paying £8 million for Brighton's Leonardo Ulloa, who officially completed his move on Tuesday. And Pearson is weighing up an improved bid of £8.5 million for Deeney in the next 24 hours, with the promise of add-ons taking the deal up to Watford's asking price.
Queens Park Rangers, Swansea City and Burnley have already had bids for Deeney, who has scored 43 goals in 84 Championship appearances over the past two seasons, rejected this summer.

Goals are what keep you in the division. And Deeney/Ulloa looks like a more threatening partnership than Nugent/Vardy. But it's a lot of money.

I went to the Arsenal vs Man Yoo match last season. Utd looked awful at the back in the first half. Giroud was all over them, they were giving up countless free headers from set pieces and kept giving the ball away when they tried to play it out. At half time they brought on Rio and instantly they looked miles better. You could hear him clear as anything telling everyone what to do. Other defenders were suddenly winning headers, as he had given them much needed shape and set pieces were defended much better. They also became much better playing the ball out.

Yes this was only one game, but he still looked class that night.

Last edited:
This is all a bit concerning. What's happened to the 'we've been planning who we will buy since Xmas' and 'we will sign players with premier league experience or exceptional young talent?'

Why is deeney and Ulloa more threatening than nugent and Vardy ? They've never played at this level and it would be harsh to even nugent who has.

I agree. I don't see it all. Their Championship performances were all very similar last season and they all have their own strengths over other players. But one advantage Vardy and Nugent have is we already know they are a great partnership and suit each other's game well which is not something you can guarantee with Ulloa and Deeney. I don't see it as a more threatening strike partnership at all. I see it as a similarly threatening one, but one with much more risk about whether it will work or not.

The only reason I can see signing Deeney over Nugent or Vardy is he's stronger and more of a target man, but we've signed Ulloa for that job already.

It just makes no sense to go out and spend £10mil on him.

Last edited:
If we spend £10m on him I'll be flabbergasted.

Good opportunity for the club to turn around and say we wont be held to ransom over players.

This is all a bit concerning. What's happened to the 'we've been planning who we will buy since Xmas' and 'we will sign players with premier league experience or exceptional young talent?'

Given the ridiculous fee paid, I would suggest we have been tracking Ulloa for a long time, and wanted him in regardless of cost. They obviously see something there that is special - maybe fits their definition of exceptional talent, if not young

The failure to strengthen at the back, however, is simply astonishing

We've been chasing Ulloa since last season and Albrighton and Upson have plenty of Premier League experience. Seems about right.

If we spend £10m on him I'll be flabbergasted.

Good opportunity for the club to turn around and say we wont be held to ransom over players.

Maybe, but a bit late for that now after getting mugged for Ulloa. The thought of spending £16m on him and Deeney is frightening, but then I think they'd both do a reasonable job in the Premier League. I think we do need another target man, especially if we only play one up next season, and Vardy isn't cut out for that (more likely, he'll be an option when we do play two, or get bumped out wide occasionally). Sell Wood, and those four would be fine.

I'm concerned defensively like everyone else, but it's impossible that Pearson doesn't share that view either. Our set-piece statistics were alarming last season, let alone the other worries (Morgan's pace, Moore's inexperience, Upson past it).

Last edited:
I started typing some long-winded post but lost interest. To summarise, I couldn't give a flying feck who NP signs and what positions they are, so long as he's happy with it.

My opinions aren't important, and he's earned the right (in my book) to make whatever decisions he feels are right and I trust him to do that. At the end of the day, if it isn't good enough, he will be the one feeling the pressure, but I'm sure he's pleased he's got that opportunity.

Legendary story from the early 1960s:
Manchester United Director:"Mr Busby has asked our opinion and Mr Busby should do what he bloody well wants."

With all due respect to Jimmy Bloomfield and Martin O'Neill I have more confidence in the judgement of Nigel Pearson than any other Leicester manager in my time.

Legendary story from the early 1960s:
Manchester United Director:"Mr Busby has asked our opinion and Mr Busby should do what he bloody well wants."

With all due respect to Jimmy Bloomfield and Martin O'Neill I have more confidence in the judgement of Nigel Pearson than any other Leicester manager in my time.
Yesterday you compared Leo Ulloa to Eddie Bailham. Today it's Nigel Pearson vs Matt Busby.
Lovely stuff. Keep them coming please. Who's next?

Wellens to return for next season

Looks like Richie Wellens is about to be released from Doncaster due to budget cuts
Althugh now 34 years old, I always admired his silky skills and passing ability :038:

New team is still looking for a 'midfield general' - if we could get him on a free, his experience could help the team navigate what will be a difficult first season in the Premier League

All agree?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673