The current plight

Status
Not open for further replies.

alex

Over the recent weeks there have been issues with regular posters taking exception to being moderated upon, leaving two very regular members of this forum in Newts and Melts, to have left.

In all, this raises questions on the running of a forum such as this and who indeed own/run it and actually what it is without regular posters?

By terms of explanation, a forum is largely open source. People should, within the boundaries of the terms laid out, be free to have a debate and also be a personality within the environment.
In reality, it would appear there are elected members, although by whom and how is a little unclear to me, who have an elevated status to others and by this rule exorcise 'rights' thus removing the 'open-source' feel which is essential to the forum's free-will.

To now feel controlled by a TB higher power breeds a feeling of resentment from posters on here who have made this forum what it has been for YEARS now.

I vote that a) we know who the mods are and that b) we all know when a new moderator is being created and why? Is there a need for a number of mods on here really? Shouldn't this entire process be more democratic? My 'Inner Circle' jibe I had hoped to have pointed to the perils of this exclusivity a while ago!

I fear this forum, like all places in which an 'open source' community is nourished in it's infancy, is going the way of over-control by people not necessarily in a position to do so.

The change of Newts' name from 'Senior Member' to the spelling mistake - on the one hand may only have been a bit of fun, but also underlines the fact that there are those in here who can change things above the wants or abilities of those who have made this forum what it has been until late.

Over the recent weeks there have been issues with regular posters taking exception to being moderated upon, leaving two very regular members of this forum in Newts and Melts, to have left.

In all, this raises questions on the running of a forum such as this and who indeed own/run it and actually what it is without regular posters?

By terms of explanation, a forum is largely open source. People should, within the boundaries of the terms laid out, be free to have a debate and also be a personality within the environment.
In reality, it would appear there are elected members, although by whom and how is a little unclear to me, who have an elevated status to others and by this rule exorcise 'rights' thus removing the 'open-source' feel which is essential to the forum's free-will.

To now feel controlled by a TB higher power breeds a feeling of resentment from posters on here who have made this forum what it has been for YEARS now.

I vote that a) we know who the mods are and that b) we all know when a new moderator is being created and why? Is there a need for a number of mods on here really? Shouldn't this entire process be more democratic? My 'Inner Circle' jibe I had hoped to have pointed to the perils of this exclusivity a while ago!

I fear this forum, like all places in which an 'open source' community is nourished in it's infancy, is going the way of over-control by people not necessarily in a position to do so.

The change of Newts' name from 'Senior Member' to the spelling mistake - on the one hand may only have been a bit of fun, but also underlines the fact that there are those in here who can change things above the wants or abilities of those who have made this forum what it has been until late.

People are always joking with Newts about his spelling, I don't see any difference between what I did and that.

Very few infractions are handed out. The recent infractions given to Melton were fully deserved, and if people are allowed to be abusive in the way he was it would have done the forum much more harm than good. I realise he's a popular poster but that doesn't mean he should get special treatment.

You can see a list of moderators here: http://www.talkingballs.co.uk/showgroups.php

Generally moderators have been chosen because they spend a lot of time here, they are computer literate, and level headed.

For what it's worth, from someone who is a regular reader but not a poster, I don't think it's going downhill in any way, I actually think it's less hostile now than previously.

People will fall out of love with forums all of the time. If that's the case then they do not need to post. Losing respected posters is not the end of the world or the forum - TB will continue to thrive as will those who move on.

Taking away all moderation though will create more conflict as people will overstep the mark on occasions. Nobody wants to see what they write being edited/deleted but at times it is necessary.

As Melton himself has pointed out, he doesn't have a problem with moderators and understands fully why his infractions were handed out to him.

He has taken a back seat because he acknowledges that his style of posting is no longer appreciated.

I don't wish to speak on his behalf, but he aint a million miles away from me, and these are his own words.

As Melton himself has pointed out, he doesn't have a problem with moderators and understands fully why his infractions were handed out to him.

He has taken a back seat because he acknowledges that his style of posting is no longer appreciated.

I don't wish to speak on his behalf, but he aint a million miles away from me, and these are his own words.

you making him a horlicks then

I'm sure a lot of the friction between people at the moment is because of our precarious league position, and a couple of wins might see things improve. So that'll be some time next season...

bit optimistic that..... a couple of wins?

I don't mind people throwing a hissy fit and stalking off. I just like to see a properly mad rant about an imaginary slight before they go. Newts, Melts and Foxin_Oz, farewell and well done.

I don't mind people throwing a hissy fit and stalking off. I just like to see a properly mad rant about an imaginary slight before they go. Newts, Melts and Foxin_Oz, farewell and well done.
TBF, Dour. I have never had a "hissy fit", or ever stamped my feet and said that I was going. I'm just not posting like I used to, but I may contribute whenever I feel like it.

Right now, I look like a ****, but I only look like a **** through "association", Newts has gone and seen to that FFS and good riddance to the **** :icon_wink. The fact I'm even having to come here in an attempt stop myself looking like a prized **** makes me look like one all the more.

This forum hasn't gone downhill, the mods haven't changed their stance, and as far as I can see nothing has changed!! Weirdos, go focus your obsessions somewhere else.

Alex Ive got to say that most of that is nonsense. There havent been any new mods for a while, the only recent one I can think of is Macky. The list of mods are freely available for all to view and indeed is linked from the home page.

Moderators are there to moderate, if you feel thats removing this 'open source' feel then I'm affraid you havent much alernative and its been in place since the forum started.

If people go round calling other members ****s then what do you expect us to do? Would you accept it from a poster on his 1st or 2nd post? No, youd all be baying for that poster to be banned. It's what the infraction system is for regardless of who you are. Anything else would be creating the 'elevated status' you already think exists.

The change of Newts' name from 'Senior Member' to the spelling mistake - on the one hand may only have been a bit of fun

Thereby lies part of the problem. We all see things in different ways, often we even contradict our own views depending on how we are feeling at any given moment.

People who have accepted or been the target of 'fun' for a while don't necessarily appreciate it and eventually enough is enough.

Who is to say that calling Fludie 'Fraudster', Melts 'Dancing Queen' and Newts 'Senrio Memreb' (or whatever it was) isn't actually a form of bullying rather than 'fun'.

Just because people go along with something shouldn't infer they are actually happy with it.

Just my twopence worth.

If people go round calling other members ****s then what do you expect us to do?
I got an infraction for this post. A little OTT me thinks;

Melton Fox said:
Duzza, you've got a fan that can't spell and can offer nothing constructive either :icon_roll

Thick fcuker's too spineless to leave his name too.

This was why I called Scarby a ****, because he behaved like one. IMO the infraction wasn't justified, and he couldn't give me a reason why he gave me it. So, the "****" came after the infraction.

I called you a "dictatorial prick", and I will continue to call anybody that who tells me to "give it a rest" when I express an opinion in an open forum. IMO, if I got a warning for retaliating to you, then you should have got one for demanding my silence in an open discussion on a topic which I am more knowledgeable than most.

I was put on this planet to identify the stupid and inform them of their stupidity. It's my role in life I will continue to do this in the places where it's allowed.

Last edited:
I got an infraction for this post. A little OTT me thinks;

This was why I called Scarby a ****, because he behaved like one. IMO the infraction wasn't justified, and he couldn't give me a reason why he gave me it. So, the "****" came after the infraction.

I called you a "dictatorial prick", and I will continue to call anybody that who tells me to "give it a rest" when I express an opinion in an open forum. IMO, if I got a warning for retaliating to you, then you should have got one for demanding my silence in an open discussion on a topic which I am more knowledgeable than most.

I was put on this planet to identify the stupid and inform them of their stupidity. It's my role in life I will continue to do this in the places where it's allowed.

Good luck on Foxestalk :icon_wink

And clearly in the case of Newts enough was enough Spion.... You're right.

Or he was hoping people would make as much fuss as when Melton left and in reality nobody cares! :icon_wink:icon_lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.

P Pld Pts
1Manchester C  412
2Arsenal410
3Newcastle410
4Liverpool49
5Aston Villa49
6Brighton48
7Nottm F48
8Chelsea47
9Brentford46