The future's bright....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dunc said:
I actually think we will lose on saturday (again) but its the long term I'm getting at being positive about. Give it 4-6 months and we'll be between 8-12th and looking at a positive season in 2006/7.

I know what are staying Dunc but football is a funny old game!

last season we were saying this is going to be the season and this season we saying its going to the next, what will we say next season 2007/08 is going to be our year.

You cant build a squad while waiting around today we need the lads young and experienced to 'gel' now and play football and CL is the man to motivate that and it doesnt look like he is doing that!!!

How come we were odds on to gain promotion and now we are struggling to beat Cardiff. Maybe we will do what Newcastle seem to do every season start rubbish then push in the top half, what we do we need to do it now!!

On paper i think we have a better squad than Wolves and we should start playing Sheehan more often, give him another chance!

We need to gain promotion soon at the latest next season to get out of this league or i can see us never getting out and doing an Oldham and Swindon.

Leicester are a premiership team and lets get back where we belong in the big time and who knows we might even stay up with the right players and a bit of luck

ScarboroughFox said:
Leicester are a premiership team

NO WE AREN"T.... when will people realise.

We are an average Championship team.

Babylon said:
NO WE AREN"T.... when will people realise.

We are an average Championship team.

Yes we are!!!!!

why have we spent more time in the prem in the past few years then!

you look at the team we have and thats at least a strong championship team!!

A few years ago you could have said the same about Fulham and Charlton and even Middlesborough and look at them now!!! you dont expect any of them to struggle in the prem do you

We finished last season 15th in the Championship. We're currently 15th in the Championship. Therefore, we are mid table Championship team. It doesn't matter where we were 30 years ago, 10 years ago, 5 years ago or even 2 years ago, and it doesn't matter how long we've spent in each division in previous years. It's what is happening now that matters, that decides whether we win games, and which league we are in.

We are a mid-table Championship team. And the fact is, none of our players have played in the Premiership for us. When Micky got us promoted before, I could see your point then if you'd said we're a Premiership team, as the squad was full of Premiership players. But now, very few of our players even have Premiership experience. We're not a Premiership team, and we have no God-given right to be there. History means nothing.

Sorry to use cliches, but the league table doesn't lie. You're only as good as your current position.

Graz said:
We finished last season 15th in the Championship. We're currently 15th in the Championship. Therefore, we are mid table Championship team. It doesn't matter where we were 30 years ago, 10 years ago, 5 years ago or even 2 years ago, and it doesn't matter how long we've spent in each division in previous years. It's what is happening now that matters, that decides whether we win games, and which league we are in.

We are a mid-table Championship team. And the fact is, none of our players have played in the Premiership for us. When Micky got us promoted before, I could see your point then if you'd said we're a Premiership team, as the squad was full of Premiership players. But now, very few of our players even have Premiership experience. We're not a Premiership team, and we have no God-given right to be there. History means nothing.

Sorry to use cliches, but the league table doesn't lie. You're only as good as your current position.

thast fair enough, but with the team we have we should be a lot higher than 15th and playing better flowing football

Scarboro, yesterday counts for nothing. WE are all very proud of what was achieved through Brain Little then Martin O'Neill.
However, you don't get points for what you did in the past, only people hankering on for the good old days. Also The trees would be permanently in the premier. Go and ask them if they are a premiership team, cos they achieved a bit more than us (it hurts to say that!) :icon_evil

At the moment we are a team going through a "transitional" period in the Championship. Hopefully this change will make us a team that will challenge for honours, including a return to the premiership where we all want to be.. but haven't got a devine right to be.

Incidentally, if you look at our history books, in the 60's we were one of the best teams in the country. 3 FA cup finals, 2 league cup finals, almost did the double twice.
Sadly, the era ended with relegation. (Sound familiar). Apart from 2 fa cup semis the next 30 years served up some right dirge that I hope we never see again down City.

We are where historically we have mainly been. However , I want to look forward, and the only way a team with our resources can go forward is with youth and pace , and that is exactly what we are doing. It is not going to happen overnight, and I do not think the bookies had us odd-on for promotion ( I took 14-1 and that looks silly now ). As for the comparison with Wolves, they have players with premiership experience, and others who have spent time in the lower leagues gaining experience. Our team is largely untested, but with time should get better. We have got to give the manager, board and players time. As I have already said it aint gonna happen this year, but the experience the youngsters get this year should stand them in good stead for future years. As I have said before, I am quite happy about the way we are restructuring as it is the only way to go. People have to be patient, which is where I cannot understand why people are so short-termist.:icon_eek:

Last edited:
No one is being 'short termist', just aware that the wage budget will be slashed at the end of the year. If we don't push when we actually have the finances you can do all the 'building' you like but it won't count for much because ultimately you will have to sell your best players.

I love what Levein is doing, but tactically something isn't working and it needs to be addressed.

As has already been pointed out, the wage bill has been slashed this year - the club this year could only plan on the basis that we were not going to be promoted. That is why we have gone in the main for youngsters and lads from the Scottish leagues - their wage expectations would be nothing like buying players from the English leagues. Again, Elvis, will not be on big money as he is from the reserves. The only one who might be on half decent money is Hume, but again, he would not have been on a huge wage at tranmere.

ScarboroughFox said:
Yes we are!!!!!

why have we spent more time in the prem in the past few years then!

you look at the team we have and thats at least a strong championship team!!

A few years ago you could have said the same about Fulham and Charlton and even Middlesborough and look at them now!!! you dont expect any of them to struggle in the prem do you

A) Fulham and Middlesborough chucked a load of money at getting into the premier.

B) Curbishly was given plenty of time to build at Charlton, they didn't get rid because he wasn't in the top six after 10 months!!!

C) Yes we are a Mid table championship side.

D) In our history I would bet we have spent around 70% of the time on the exact position we are in at the minute.

E) Forget fecking MON and top 10 premier finishes.

Babylon said:
A) Fulham and Middlesborough chucked a load of money at getting into the premier.

B) Curbishly was given plenty of time to build at Charlton, they didn't get rid because he wasn't in the top six after 10 months!!!

C) Yes we are a Mid table championship side.

D) In our history I would bet we have spent around 70% of the time on the exact position we are in at the minute.

E) Forget fecking MON and top 10 premier finishes.
Couldn't have put it better myself!:icon_lol:

Ox Fox said:
Think of it as a curry. It shouldn't be too hot, but not too bland, not undercooked then again not a reheat from last Tuesday. At the moment it seems Craig is still dabbling with the ingredients, lets hope he's got good taste because after this season he wont be going to Waitrose it'll be the reduced shelf at the local Spa.

Great post Dunc. You've managed to say what many of us are thinking but are too stupid to get our message across.

But I disagree with OxFox - reheated curry is delicious - sometimes better than the original IMHO. ;)

Nice analogy though :038:

PFKAKTF FOX said:
Great post Dunc.

Bloody hell that must be your shortest ever post mate.;) :icon_lol:

PFKAKTF FOX said:
I know, it has been a long day and I couldnt be arsed posting anything else !
you do post some marathon stuff. Its all good though. well generally.;) :icon_lol:

I probably do get a bit carried away and long winded at times, and for that I apologise, but hopefully I dont bore people too much.....zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.

PFKAKTF FOX said:
I probably do get a bit carried away and long winded at times, and for that I apologise, but hopefully I dont bore people too much.....zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.
Whats the new av all about?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670